Everflex vinyl top TURBO R Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Everflex vinyl top TURBO R « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Egor Gukasov
New User
Username: egorguk

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, 24 April, 2019 - 18:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello, friends! I need to install a new everflex vinyl top on my bentley TURBO R.
Please advise where can I buy?
Maybe someone has already solved this problem?
Perhaps bought in some stores? For example USA or England.
I am in the city of Irkutsk, Russia.
Thanks for answers!

Robert J. Sprauer
Grand Master
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 340
Posted on Wednesday, 24 April, 2019 - 22:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Egor Heads up. the windscreens have to be removed and new ones will be needed. The old Everflex comes off and the old adhesive completely removed so the surface is clean and smooth. Any bumps will be seen in the new material. The centre section is padded as well.

There are US suppliers such as Tom Hilborn in Florida. It is in 3 sections that are sewn as sealed. There is a precise methed for the installation because the contact adhesive contacts instantly and no going back.

Go to the Bentley Heritage site or the Forum's home page and search for the workshop manual. It shows how its done.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3239
Posted on Thursday, 25 April, 2019 - 08:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Egor,

The Spirit workshop manuals can be downloaded from the following link; just select the manual listed for your year of assembly:

http://rrtechnical.info/sz/05_sz.htm

Egor Gukasov
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, 25 April, 2019 - 11:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks for the links and technical description!
I am familiar with the replacement technology and studied it.
The main issue in quality material.
I found the Tom Hilborn store. http://hilbornmotorcar.com/about.html
I think this is a good option.
I made a few more requests to different stores. Such as, for example, introсar.сo.uk and some USA stores.
But in these cases it is not everflex or sold by the meter.

Robert J. Sprauer
Grand Master

Post Number: 342
Posted on Thursday, 25 April, 2019 - 12:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Try to find the real deal. Honestly, if the Everflex on my Wraith II was shot I would remove it all together. It does not add resale and you could have ordered cars without it (special request-I know of a few). Think about it..may be 2 tone?
The roof has to be prepared for smoothness and a primer which means one step away from colour coat. You could always add it later. Just my thought.

Egor Gukasov
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, 25 April, 2019 - 12:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would like to save authenticity. Yes, and I like everflex))))
Much work will be done to remove corrosion. Glasses will be pulled out.
On the car there are many holes and chrome moldings that were installed only on cars with everflex.

Robert J. Sprauer
Grand Master

Post Number: 345
Posted on Thursday, 25 April, 2019 - 21:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is trim at the rear where it meets the rear deck and inside the door openings under the roof line.

Egor Gukasov
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, 26 April, 2019 - 16:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes. Thanks for the advice! I will try to find the material and restore the roof.

Egor Gukasov
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, 26 April, 2019 - 19:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert, do you live in New York?
Tell me please your opinion about these stores:

https://www.miamicorp.com/default.aspx?itemcode=2450GRBSBKG&Page=item+detail

https://www.robbinsautotopco.com/bentley.php

https://www.headlinerexpress.com/import-headliners-1936-2012/rolls-royce-bentley-2/

Have not heard anything about them?
I see that a lot in which stores have "Everflex from England"

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Saturday, 27 April, 2019 - 22:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Egor welcome to the forum. Vinyl coverings, even Rolls Royce ones are great when they are new and horrid when old. The vinyl loves to hide rust. One pin hole and rust will start and eat away at the metal.

Both my Rolls Royce Spirit and Rolls Royce Camargue
have non vinyl painted roofs and I am very thankful for that. My 1976 Cadillac has a vinyl roof and that is the only place this car with less than 70,000 miles on it has rust!

I hope you have proper snow/ice tyres for your Bentley. In 2000 I lived in Camapa and saw many cars running into each other because of the ice.

Post a photo up on this forum of your Bentley with Russian number plates. It will probably be the first on the forum with cryllic letters!

Robert J. Sprauer
Grand Master

Post Number: 353
Posted on Saturday, 27 April, 2019 - 22:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It appears Robbins has the right product for you. Take your time and fully prep the old surface and after prepping lay the new top and make reference/witness marks. Remember once it adheres it cannot be pulled up because it will stretch the material. This is a 2 man project. Hint add a plastic sheet between the roof surface and new top after applying the adhesive. Contact adhesive has to dry on both surfaces for it to bond. Since the plastic sheet has no cement it will not stick to either surface. Now you can lay the new top, align and slowly pull away and roll the new top on. It's all in the technique.

Egor Gukasov
New User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, 29 April, 2019 - 17:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Egor Gukasov
New User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, 29 April, 2019 - 17:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir Ivanovich, hello! You are from the city of Samara, right? You have a cool collection of cars)))
Yes, with all the difficulties of the vinyl top, I am familiar!
There is corrosion on my car and therefore I want to remove it and install a new everflex.
My Bentley 1988 model year, or rather December 14, 1987. Red label and long wheelbase.
He lives in the city of Irkutsk, near Lake Baikal. Yes, he had winter tires with spikes, it is impossible to ride on it without it!
But now in winter it is not being exploited, because it is pitiful. (I want to save it) In winter, a lot of snow and muddy.

Egor Gukasov
New User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, 29 April, 2019 - 17:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert thanks for the good advice!
While I will not rush, let's see what other stores say.
I liked the introcar.co.uk option. You need to make stitches yourself. But this everflex is real and the price is only 36 pounds per meter!

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 254
Posted on Thursday, 02 May, 2019 - 02:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Egor, nice car, Love your driver!

Egor Gukasov
New User

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, 02 May, 2019 - 10:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you, Mark!

Grand Master

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Sunday, 05 May, 2019 - 14:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Egor I used to live in Samara/Kuibyshev in 1998 to 2000 and was an English teacher at Gymnasia School 25 Soviet Army Street. Oh what wild and happy days.
Seriously, I never wanted to leave I offered to join Russian Army voluntarily and head straight to Chechnya to see to things to get around OVIR trying to imprison me for violation of Russian Federation Law.ie expired visa. Sadly one can either be Russian or Australian but not both.

Svetlana who was Komonsol would not hear of me joining Russian Army and so .....

Well nice of you to say I have some cool cars.

Sadly in 1999 I could have bought an army generals car, a Chaika Limo black, for $5000 USD. Even sadder I could barely afford beer or cigarettes though the vodka ...well it seemed free to me.

So no Chaika nor Zil for me.

Really it was all my fault looking back on it I can say I should have defected to Soviet Union as soon as I got a passport.

Indeed, I wished I spent my childhood in the CCCP as it was extremely clear to me during my time in Russian Federation that Russia was a child's paradise and I was there when the Rouble had collapsed!

How I lust after just even hearing the voices of Russian Women today on the internet.

And so I return the compliment and say if my cars are cool in Australia now, your Bentley is super cool in your city right now and probably will be forever.

The lady in your photos needs no comment.

Egor Gukasov
Experienced User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, 05 May, 2019 - 23:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is a really interesting story! On the one hand, a little sad.

Yes, this bentley in Irkutsk is really cool.

And in Moscow, and in the rest of the world, this is not the latest car.
Near Vladivostok is Japan, there are a lot of interesting cars, such as old Mercedes and American cars. Including Bentley. There they are not expensive and cheap parts to them.

The country is developing (about Russia), but there is little and almost no automotive culture. And this is very sad. Most Russian people are not interested and do not need it.

In 1999 I studied in the third grade of school))))) I remember that moment very well with the fall of the ruble.

My mother is a primary school teacher. And wife too. I work at a Jaguar Land Rover dealership and do difficult repair and communicate with English engineers. Just trying to develop commerce (own business))))

Next year I want to make a US visa and try to travel from coast to coast. Because I love their automotive and arms culture. There is democracy there, but in Russia it is not))) But of course, there are some pluses.

The Rolls Royce Enthusiast Club sent me a story about the construction of my car. Two such Bentley were bought by a banker in Zurich, Switzerland. Then my Bentley moved to Japan.

To bring such cars from abroad to Russia is hard and expensive. Or it will be an illegal car without documents.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Thursday, 09 May, 2019 - 05:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And so Egor some of our conversation must move to another part of this forum called Idle Chatter, where the chatter is rarely idle.

So soon I will post an article there on the intriguing matter of Russian interest in historic cars.

That aside I can thoroughly assure you that your Bentley has been built to Rolls Royce standard. This of course means its the best in the world by far. Forget Mercedes and BMW. They are nice cars but have nowhere near the class of a Bentley.

Also, on this forum, you will find intense, specific and accurate information to assist you in maintaining and or repairing your Bentley as well as links to download for free the original Bentley workshop manuals.

In addition there are many technical posts from many extremely intelligent gentlemen enthusiasts worldwide.

Enjoy

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: