Do you ever see a time when you will ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Do you ever see a time when you will convert your Spirit to an electric engine? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graham Hutton
Frequent User
Username: gph

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, 23 April, 2019 - 19:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have been watching a few YouTube videos on electric (classic) car conversions , most popular seem to be Morris minors, VW’s and the like.
I guess in time these electric motors (and battery packs) will become much cheaper. Fuel for my Spirit hovers round AUD $1.70 per litre in Brisbane. If it goes much higher it will become very expensive indeed to drive about.
If it didn’t cost a great deal , would you consider moving to electric power?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3237
Posted on Tuesday, 23 April, 2019 - 19:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

For classic cars like the Sprit, I think a full battery-powered conversion to electric drive is significantly less-likely than an electric conversion using hydrogen fuel cells for the electricity source.

The reason being the problem of mounting batteries in a chassis not designed for mounting the batteries to give the lowest possible centre of gravity to maximise vehicle stability. Under-floor placement of the lithium batteries currently being used is universal in new electric car designs for this reason. Unfortunately the Shadow/Spirit body structure creates problems in making the vehicle centre of gravity as low as possible to maximise handling benefits.

Graham Hutton
Frequent User

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, 23 April, 2019 - 19:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That works, I should have included Hydrogen into the mix

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2124
Posted on Tuesday, 23 April, 2019 - 21:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hydrogen powered cars IMO are dead.

Electric conversion not a problem, remove power train and rear tank, fit li-ion batteries F&R, they will be low down with the centre of gravity.
Drive motor on each rear hub assembly, low centre of gravity!

Keeping up with the moving times!
Two new ways to charge being tested, induction but more likely charging points on every car parking space with hydrogen powered catalyst for of grid power to electric cars.

You could in the short term covert to LPG and have many benefits, one being low cost of the product.

Graham Hutton
Frequent User

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, 24 April, 2019 - 01:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

How successful is the conversion to LPG from a performance perspective? I have always been one to favour the original set up. That said LPG pricing does make it sound more attractive.

Graham Hutton
Frequent User

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, 24 April, 2019 - 01:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This link is interesting:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-16/vintage-rolls-royce-converted-to-electric-vehicle/9869888

Kevin Deasy
Experienced User
Username: kevin1946

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, 25 April, 2019 - 12:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,your question on LPG I have converted 2 cars a Bentley 8 which I drove for almost 25,000 miles,it was smoother on LPG and did about 10% less per gallon £ for £ it. Was doing the equivelant of 28/30 mpg.i had a couple of other upgrades to get this mpg.The SS was also perfect and average about 24/26 £ for £
LPG is cleaner .

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2129
Posted on Thursday, 25 April, 2019 - 17:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I can use LPG on cold start up or use petrol two stroke mix once a month on start up for valve guide lube.
Running LPG with higher advance than standard.

Kevin Deasy
Experienced User

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, 27 April, 2019 - 04:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick
Is your car carbs or injection?my 2 were SU carbs and my new one is injection,I am thinking about getting it done.

Kevin Deasy
Experienced User

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, 27 April, 2019 - 17:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick
Is your car carbs or injection?my 2 were SU carbs and my new one is injection,I am thinking about getting it done.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 2131
Posted on Saturday, 27 April, 2019 - 18:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

kevin, both my cars are carbs with the lpg conversion.
This I carried out many years ago with no problems to date.
I must do a drain on the vaporizer, does get overlooked on some.

I seem to remember that port petrol injection is not to bad to do with LPG but direct injection is a little harder to do.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: