Knocking sound from the transmission Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Knocking sound from the transmission « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anders Nilsson
New User
Username: nilssan

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, 22 April, 2019 - 23:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all,

I have been restoring a 1981 R-R Corniche at slow pace since 2011. Now, when everyting was supposed to be ready, I started the engine with the car still on stands. However, as I select any gear, there is a loud knocking sound in frequency proportional to the propshaft rotation speed (one knock per revolution). Transmission is at the correct level. The transmission has not been in use since 2011 and not separated from the engine. Oil and filter have been renewed at 3 years' interval. Any suggestion in addition to replacing the whole gearbox would be highly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Anders Nilsson

Robert J. Sprauer
Grand Master
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 320
Posted on Tuesday, 23 April, 2019 - 00:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Perhaps a process of elimination. Does it produce a sound in neutral? Note the torque converter is rotating in neutral pumping away. To test the rest of the trans, disconnect the drive shaft at the transmission extension. This will eliminate the prop and everything after it.
Now your trans is isolated and run thru the gears and see what happens.

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, 23 April, 2019 - 08:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If the car is on stands, I assume the driveshafts are hanging at full extension. I have heard them clunk if rear jacked up running at that extreme angle but dead quiet when everything on the ground.

Robert J. Sprauer
Grand Master

Post Number: 329
Posted on Tuesday, 23 April, 2019 - 09:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark that is also a strong possibility. They are at a steep angle, so you could raise them or drop the car and test in the driveway?

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 419
Posted on Tuesday, 23 April, 2019 - 10:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hopefully putting the car on the level will solve the problem but I would also advise you to check the oil level in the trunnions and top up if you haven't already done so.

Robert J. Sprauer
Grand Master

Post Number: 331
Posted on Tuesday, 23 April, 2019 - 10:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I recall 150ml go in the trunnions--SAE80/90 thru the small fill bolt on each housing.
Note: They also wear and each has to be measured and shimmed accordingly. Did mine almost 2 yrs ago with new boots.

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 198
Posted on Tuesday, 23 April, 2019 - 19:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

An 81 Corniche will have CV style sealed driveshafts not Shadow style trunnions.

Robert J. Sprauer
Grand Master

Post Number: 332
Posted on Tuesday, 23 April, 2019 - 21:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the info

Anders Nilsson
New User
Username: nilssan

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, 24 April, 2019 - 06:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all and thanks a lot for all kind advice. Problem is now solved. I lifted the brackets for the rear engine mounts approx. 3 mm to the upper position along their oval mounting holes, and no more noise. Didn't realize there is such a tight clearance around the prop shaft and the prop shaft tunnel. Apparently there is balance weight(s) on the prop shaft that cannot easily be seen form its fwd aperture.

Best Regards,

Anders

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 426
Posted on Wednesday, 24 April, 2019 - 08:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good result Anders, the engineers at RR were devious rascals when they added hidden obstacles to baffle DIY enthusiasts.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: