Power steering problem (buying withou... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Power steering problem (buying without seeing) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevin Deasy
Experienced User
Username: kevin1946

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, 20 April, 2019 - 03:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To day I went to do some work on it and noticed it was idling @1000 so I brought it back to 550 which was perfect but when I went to drive it there was nearly no power steering.as I included the revs it came back.Is it a bad pump or would a good flush and fill help.I read of some people fussing and filling with the green mineral oil?
Any ideas?

Robert J. Sprauer
Prolific User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 294
Posted on Saturday, 20 April, 2019 - 04:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sounds like you are low on fluid. Fill to the proper level and you may have a bit of air in the system which will work its way out.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Saturday, 20 April, 2019 - 04:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Right off the top of my head I would say bump the idle speed up to 650 rpm with car in drive and AC on.

As its no longer brand new the PS pump could be tired.

In any case check the tension on the power steering V-Belt.

Use recommend oil in the pump.

You won't do any damage to the transmission by increasing the idle speed above spec anyway because those transmissions are built like Russian tanks and can take easily twice the power of the engine.

IE 375 HP Cadillacs. RR Angliski Snob waffle "Adequate" IE Perhaps 210 HP with dense air.

Actually hundreds of hits of Nitro's bumping HP to 600 does not faze them.

Kevin Deasy
Experienced User

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, 20 April, 2019 - 06:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Unfortunately the belt is tight and the fluid is full,it may have been set at 1000 for a reason.It was serviced by a Rolls agent less than 2000 miles ago.He had it for 5 years and spent 7000£ on service & some paint work.

Kevin Deasy
Experienced User

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, 20 April, 2019 - 06:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What is the best fluid to put into the steering,I am going to change it?

Robert J. Sprauer
Prolific User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 297
Posted on Saturday, 20 April, 2019 - 06:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

ATF fluid (GM)

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 408
Posted on Saturday, 20 April, 2019 - 06:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Originally the pump reservoir would have been filled with Dexron 11 but Dexron 111 is OK to use also and is miscible with Dexron 11. I've heard of people using the same hydraulic fluid that's in your brake reservoir but I can't personally say if that's good or bad as I haven't tried it. Before you change the fluid check for air by raising the front wheels off the ground, starting the engine and getting a helper to slowly turn the steering wheel from lock to lock while you remove the PAS pump reservoir lid and check for frothing or bubbles. Any air should work its way to the top of the reservoir as the steering wheel is slowly turned but you will need to check all the hose connections to see if there's anywhere that air could be sucked back into the system. Check also that your tyres aren't underinflated. I think there's a grease nipple at the front centre of the steering rack and a shot of grease there might help too. Also check that the pump belts aren't too tight or glazed which might cause them to slip. A worn pump normally emits a grinding noise and I think that your pump is unlikely to be worn after such few miles unless is was driven on low fluid level in the past. I believe that pump service kits which include seals and bearings are available if needed, Good luck.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Saturday, 20 April, 2019 - 07:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kevin as Vladimir said 650 would be better, if you are changing the fluid try LHM.

Richard.

Kevin Deasy
Experienced User

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, 20 April, 2019 - 08:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks to all,
I will get working on it next week and I will post my results.

Kevin Deasy
Experienced User

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, 23 April, 2019 - 17:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I did read that LMH was designed for aviation use and was a better proposition than ATF,but if I don't get every drop out will it mix?
Will I'd do any harm to the seals?

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Tuesday, 23 April, 2019 - 23:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kevin if you change to LHM the same fluid does power steering and your brakes and suspension, one of our very technical members Richard Treacy recommended this in a post long ago and if it is good for him it will do, some people in an emergency situation use motor oil. it is your choice.

Richard.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: