Power steering LOUD whine, stiff stee... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Power steering LOUD whine, stiff steering, maybe blocked control valve? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephewn Robb
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, 08 April, 2019 - 11:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a loud whine coming from the steering when I try to steer, and leaking fluid and stiff steering (about 90% loss of power assist). I am looking for your admirable help as to what may be the culprit.

Background: I rebuilt the power steering pump myself and everything had been working fine for a year. I am quite sure the pump is still working great. I have a strong suspicion the rack is bad...my hunch is that the steering control valve is clogged or plugged or restricted at least to some extent if not fully. I am pretty skilled mechanically but I am apprehensive to rebuild the power steering rack, because some people have told me that the rack is extraordinarily complicated and a DIY rebuild should not be attempted unless one specifically rebuilds racks as their career. And I'm also hesitating because I'm not sure it's the rack! I filled the pump to the proper level with clear Prestone Power Steering fluid and ran the engine as you'll see in my attached video. If you can watch the video in my link below you'll hear the actual sound it makes which may inform what the problem is.

https://youtu.be/tta1-FzRts0

(Message approved by david_gore)

Steve Emmott
Prolific User
Username: steve_e

Post Number: 200
Posted on Monday, 08 April, 2019 - 17:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stephewn,

That definitely sounds like the rotary vanes in the steering pump to me.

Jeff Young
Grand Master
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 404
Posted on Monday, 08 April, 2019 - 20:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

After making the sound, is the fluid foamy? If you have leaking hoses they can also draw in air, which foams the fluid and produces that sound.

Larry Kavanagh
Grand Master
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 385
Posted on Tuesday, 09 April, 2019 - 00:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I experienced a very similar sound a couple of years ago, it reminded me of the noise a strimmer makes. I noticed some foaming fluid in the pump reservoir and the level was a little low. I flushed and refilled the reservoir with the engine running, front wheels raised and gently turning the steering wheel from lock to lock (but not too far to either lock). The steering has been working fine since with no strange noises, maybe I was just lucky and it was simply an air in the fluid problem due to low fluid level.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: