Buying without seeing it arrived Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Buying without seeing it arrived « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevin Deasy
Experienced User
Username: kevin1946

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, 19 March, 2019 - 06:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pros ! Everything works ok,good tyres,battery,all the books & tools,good leather,good paint work
Cons ! Rust bubbles under the vynal over the windscreen is it difficult to remove the vynal and fix it and just spray it
Faulty brakes. The lights go out after 10 seconds but come on after about 4/5 pumps.
It has been off the road for 8 months ,
It had a full service in Mulsanne motors in Scotland 2000 miles ago and brakes were tested and checked & a MOT.
Any ideas please

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2106
Posted on Tuesday, 19 March, 2019 - 06:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have you looked under the front carpets a common place for damp if the rubber screen surround has rust below the vynal letting water ingress.

IMO the whole roof vynal will have to be removed including the front screen.

Don't drive it until the brakes are sorted, low on nitrogen!

Robert J. Sprauer
Prolific User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 183
Posted on Tuesday, 19 March, 2019 - 06:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No real practical way of removing the rust underneath the Everflex roof. You could live with it or remove the Everflex which if done properly will entail removing the F&R windscreens, and then have a bodyshop prepare the roof for painting. There is a thin foam pad in the centre section and everything is glued down.
I have restored Everflex roofs with shrink gaps, cuts, etc. SEM products have flex fillers and patterns to emboss the grain. Not all grain patterns are the same. When that is done an entire repray is needed, but alot cheaper than replacing the complete roof.

Steve Emmott
Prolific User
Username: steve_e

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, 19 March, 2019 - 16:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert nice looking Vinyl roof.

It may just be lighting but the roof channel over the rear door does look like the vinyl is already stretching across the channel. The front picture looks really good though.

When I fit the vinyl everflex roofs I always use the 2 part activated glue as used on the boot seal fit just down the channel area either side and this stops the vinyl shrinking over this deep recess as it gives a far superior bond. I am yet to see any older fit vinyl on a RR/B where this has not stretched out of the channel. Apart from mine that is.

Steve Emmott
Prolific User

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, 19 March, 2019 - 18:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here are some pictures of my car showing the gutter channel....

10 years now since fitting the Everflex and
no shrinkage at all across the gutter considering
too it spent the time in the hot South of France.

Robert J. Sprauer
Prolific User

Post Number: 184
Posted on Tuesday, 19 March, 2019 - 22:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Car was indoors all its life. No signs of shrinkage, most likely lighting.

Steve Emmott
Prolific User

Post Number: 150
Posted on Thursday, 21 March, 2019 - 03:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kevin....just to get this thread back on track I remember you started another thread just before the car arrived telling us what you had done in buying the car unseen.

On that thread I checked the MOT history on our Gov.UK site and it said that the front brake pipes were corroded on a fairly recent one.

Just as a thought I wonder if these were replaced and perhaps the system was not bled enough to remove all the air.

It is just a thought and maybe well worthy of having a good bleed on the system and see if that improves the amount of pump actions on the brake pedal before going down the accumulator check.

Every time I have had an MOT done they start off by keeping the engine running to get up to heat so I doubt this problem would ever be found on an MOT check regarding amount of brake pedal operations before the warning light comes on.....

See what the brake performance results were as they should be included in the MOT somewhere. If any air in system they would I expect be at the lower end but perhaps an acceptable level.

I seem to remember from when mine were done in France on the control technique figures of 450 and 550 but never really understood or paid much attention to what the units even were as the car passed OK.

Just a thought for you to think about to do a full correct process bleed of the system.

Kevin Deasy
Experienced User

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, 21 March, 2019 - 09:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert,if I get the screen taken out is it possible to fift the front section of the roof without taking it off and fix the rust and stick it back down.
The lumps or bumps are only for 10 inches from the front of the screen the rest of the roof is ok.
Thanks
Kevin

Robert J. Sprauer
Prolific User

Post Number: 194
Posted on Thursday, 21 March, 2019 - 10:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If the screen is taken out a new seal is required. The old one has to be cut out and all the indoor trim, including the top dash roll removed. Then there is a major risk when installing the windscreen. I have done a few of them. The Everflex and centre foam pad is glued down with strong adhesive so lifting and re-gluing is not an option.
Here's what I would do... I would do a surgical incision above the rust bump and remove the lesion. The Everflex can be reglued with strong bonding adhesive. The incision can be filled with flexible filler designed for this...however the entire roof would have to be sprayed with appropriate vinyl roof color. I have done this and can direct you there.
One last thought. When rust forms it can generally be crushed and your bump can be minimized. I would try to gently break it down with a soft mallet or perhaps a rolling pin. You may get lucky with this. Removing and replacing the entire roof is major work and major work on a RR is major dollars.
Anytime I can help.

Kevin Deasy
Experienced User

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, 22 March, 2019 - 10:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert I think I will do as you suggest ,the bumps are on the front right side over the windscreen For about 6 or 7 inches from front to back and about12 inches from right to left,the rest is perfect,I will be selling it on in about a year and will want the rust treated before I sell it.
Kevin

Robert J. Sprauer
Prolific User

Post Number: 201
Posted on Friday, 22 March, 2019 - 11:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kevin, If you are selling the car why go thru the trouble of a major expense with removing the Everflex, tons of labour, new windscreen seals etc. You will never recoup your costs. This model will not be appreciating any time soon. Why gild a lily?

Kevin Deasy
Experienced User

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, 23 March, 2019 - 05:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert
i will get some prices,I don't mind spending 2000 to 3000€ on it but I don't want to spend more than that,if I drive it for a year and loose a couple of thousand I don't mind,it is good to save these cars from the scrap dealers.
Kevin

MichaelNuttall
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, 04 June, 2021 - 20:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Robert, I appreciate this is a pretty old thread but you mention using SEM products to repair your roof, which look spectacular to me. Could you elaborate what exactly they are and where they can be obtained? My Wraith has a weather beaten Everflex with torn areas in the front and rear centre sections. Whilst a new covering is the long term plan I would like to make it visually acceptable by repairing it for the time being. Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks Mike

(Message approved by david_gore)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: