Tyre Experiences Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Tyre Experiences « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Shostrom
Experienced User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, 30 August, 2005 - 23:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am considering changing the tyres on my 1988 Silver Spur (JCH22984). She is presently riding on 235 70/HR15 Avon blackwalls. I am not particularly impressed by the ride or the handling, and decided that a thinband whitewall would look better as well, giving the car a more graceful appearance. My Silver Wraith II in the US is on Goodyear Eagle GA 235 70/HR15s and I like them very much, but I would like to hear what others with SZ cars of my era have to say. Kindest regards, John
Hong Kong

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 240
Posted on Wednesday, 31 August, 2005 - 01:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi John, My Spur very happily runs on Michelin 235/70 Hr 15 tyres and I have used that brand of tyre since I had my Cloud 1 (different size of course). Some people swear by Bridgestones which are an excellent tyre as well. Like you, I was less than impressed with Avon and Coopers were positively woeful. But I will say this. In many cases it's a matter of personal choice and there are also many factors to consider. What may be an excellent tyre in Australia for instance may not necessarilly be ideal in Hong kong. There are different road conditions, temperatures and of course, driver's habits as well. I tend to drive sedately and therefore road handling characteristics may not be as applicable to me as, say Richard Treacy in Switzerland, who enjoys an occassional high speed sprint along the Autobahnen. At higher speeds, handling is critical.I must admit though that there was an occassion fairly recently when I did plant the boot and sprinted up the Calder freeway at 170 kph and I was very impressed in the handling (not to mention the exhilaration of it all).It's fair to say though that if you were happy with the Goodyears on your Silver wraith 11, then you would probably also be happy with the same brand on your Spur. Good luck in your search John.

John Shostrom
Experienced User

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, 31 August, 2005 - 02:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Robert, and thanks so much for your feedback. I have actually been seriously considering the Michelins, as I had them on the 1982 Spirit I had when I was living in California. That was before the Wraith II. Like you, I tend to drive rather sedately -- also, Hong Kong driving conditions are such that it is the only way to drive. Our fastest roads, like the motorway leading out to the airport at Chek Lap Kok, are 110 hm/h. I suppose availability, and to an extent, price, will be the ultimate deciding factor, and I shall keep you informed. Thanks again. John

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 876
Posted on Wednesday, 31 August, 2005 - 03:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,

I too would go for the Michelins. I ran the Michelin 235s on our T-Series years ago, but switched to Bridgestones. The Bridgestones are no longer available, so it's back to Michelins next time. Of course they have the white band.

I am a great fan of Michelin. They have never made a bad tyre, although early ZX tyres were diabolical in the wet. I run 17" Michelins on my Turbo R and they are superb.

Whatever you buy, make sure that it has a minimum weight rating of 101. Maybe ratings are less important in HK, where only the newer motorways allow anything more than a snail's pace...

RT.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 514
Posted on Wednesday, 31 August, 2005 - 10:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Once again can I suggest you enquire about Sumitomos - yes the same company that makes back hoes front end loaders etc. I have now done some 25K on a set of these thanks to the previous owner and I am delighted. I fit Bridgestones to any car that comes near me but I have just enquired from my tyre man Rodney who tells me that there are 9 (nine) left in little Auswegia!!!

Larry Halpert
Prolific User
Username: larry_halpert

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, 31 August, 2005 - 13:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had blackwall bridgestones on my '89 Spur, but wanted whitewalls.

I've had Yokohama Aegis LS4 235/70/15" tires on my Spur for the last 3 years, and they ride beautifully & look great. The cost was $60 a tire mounted & balanced.

Here's a pic where you can see one peeking out: Yokohama Aegis LS4

John Shostrom
Experienced User

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, 31 August, 2005 - 14:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello everyone, and thank you so much for your response. At this point, and also in view of availability, I am most likely going to go for the Michelins. I've had excellent experience with them before and now they meet the weight specifications, etc. I should reach a decision by week's end. Kindest regards, John