Chassis numbers Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Chassis numbers « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roderick Waite
Prolific User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 205
Posted on Sunday, 13 January, 2019 - 17:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is something that has puzzled me occasionally. In the 'Window' thread, Brian (Vogel) quoted chassis numbers from 1972 to 1989 Shadow and Spirit models as being from '13754 to 27998'.

My car is a 1984 Spirit, and her chassis number is ECH 09680. This does not square in any way with Brian's assertion. So which is right? Where do these '13754 to 27998' figures come from?

Robert J. Sprauer
Prolific User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, 13 January, 2019 - 23:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rod After 1980 RR/B went to 17 digit VIN code like all other manufacturers. There were major improvements in the models and can be traced to VIN #'s. Here is a site to help you. Search the site because I believe I saw Spirit mentioned.
http://www.rrsilvershadow.com

Robert J. Sprauer
Prolific User

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, 13 January, 2019 - 23:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

http://www.rrsilverspirit.com

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 206
Posted on Monday, 14 January, 2019 - 03:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the info Robert! I dug out the vehicle record for my car, which refers to it as 'Car No: 'ZSH 09680' with 'Engine no: SZ38850' which appears to be an amalgam of the pre: 1980 and post 1980 systems ... but the 'E' of my 'ECH 09680' appears to comply with the 'E = 1984' of the VIN system. I much prefer the 'ECH 09680' I bought the car as, but still no idea where the '09680' came from or what it means. I don't believe they'd built 9,680 Spirits by 1984, unless they started at 5000 - but why would they do that?

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2745
Posted on Monday, 14 January, 2019 - 03:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rod,

If your car is a 1984 Silver Spirit the correct shorthand to communicate that would be: SAE-09680. The five digits are always the last five characters of the VIN number itself. I've posted this document outlining how those are correctly derived many times:

SZ Chassis Number Derivation from VIN

The use of the last 8 characters of the VIN, as many do, leaves the reader with nothing other than the model year, as that E is the 10th character, and production sequence number. It carries absolutely no reliable information about the model and make.

You're also conflating the production sequence numbers from two different series, which is implied by the way Mr. Treacy titled the article. More fully written out it would have been SY series from chassis number 13754 through the end of the SY series and SZ Series up to chassis number 27998. Your car falls in the range being discussed, as its "chassis number" in the SZ series is well under 27998.

The SZ series did not start anywhere near chassis 00001 as the first, and like the SY series, there were several major jumps over a lot of numbers. That's how you hear people talking about the 20K series and 30K series, which didn't occur "naturally" but because Crewe decided to jump way ahead into the next set of numbers when they launched major revisions to the cars. (I believe 27998 was the last of the 20K of that series of the SZs.)

Both of Marinus Rijkers' sites are exhaustively researched. His is the only place I've ever seen "the RREC/English" shorthand noted. But I knew I could count on him for how the actual production sequence numbers for the SZ cars ran, and that can be seen at the bottom of this page: http://www.rrsilverspirit.com/chnrs2/index.htm

There are numerous gaps, as you can see.

Brian

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, 25 January, 2019 - 06:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Brian - that explains the inexplicable! I should have expected nothing less from Rolls-Royce. I must check the VIN at some point - it's in the car and so far I've forgotten when I'm in the car, and when I remembered I was far from the car.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2753
Posted on Friday, 25 January, 2019 - 09:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rod,

If it's a 1984 model year (and that ECH09680 would confirm that) and your car is a Silver Spirit (which I'm sure you know) there is no doubt but that the derived chassis number would be SAE-09680. Were it a Spur that leading S would be replaced by an N.

Brian

David Convery
Yet to post message
Username: dave

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, 15 April, 2019 - 09:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, new to this site, could someone please tell me how to tell if 1981 Rolls Royce Silver Spirit was Australian delivered? Is it in chassis numbers? Thank You Dave...

Robert J. Sprauer
Prolific User

Post Number: 247
Posted on Monday, 15 April, 2019 - 10:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You can't tell by the VIN number. The only way would be to know the car's history and better yet the build info from HUNT HOUSE in the UK.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Monday, 15 April, 2019 - 12:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes Robert and then you have to read then interpret the scribble. The info in my Hunt House files on the Camargue and the Spirit look like that of a drunk 6 year old kiddy.

Bloody annoying that's for sure.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: