Cooling concerns due to parallax misr... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Cooling concerns due to parallax misreadings of the needle « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pedro Gomes
Frequent User
Username: portamno

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, 12 January, 2019 - 23:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear All:

I may run the risk of sounding "slightly ridiculous" on writing this post. However, it has been the source of constant concern on my side, and I think that others may share the same concern:

My Mulsanne S 92 had cooling issues: I had not replaced the thermostat for 5 years, and the gauge needle was uncomfortably very close to the red line. I have read countless concerns from other owners regarding this situation....

Finally, I changed the Thermostat to PG58252PA, which is better than the original.

But while the needle did move back somewhat towards the middle (Where it's supposed to be!), on warm days it still rose towards the red line, to an extent that left me very uncomfortable, specially on slow heavy traffic.

If My wife went with me, I was always "pestering" her with questions regarding the position of the needle on the gauge, as it's positioned far to the right of the console; I drive a left hand car. My wife always stated that the needle "was fine", right in the middle....However, when I peeked at the gauge, twisting and stretching myself to have a closer look at te needle, it STILL seemed to be closer to the red line...This became almost an "obsession" for me, and deterred from enjoying the ride fully. And my wife got tired of always telling me the same thing....

Finally, I did what I should have done months ago! I drove the car on the highway at about 100 MPH for at least 1/2 an hour....Then, I stopped at a gas station, and with the car running, I sat on the right seat....And there it was! The needle was right at the middle of the white line.

Conclusion: as the gauge is positioned far to the right on the console, while on the drivers left seat, when looking at the gauge, the needle appears to be far to the right...Due to a parallax strong effect. Even when stretching to try to look at the needle facing as straight as possible into needle's position, you still get the parallax effect.

It's as simple as that....Only when seating in the right passenger seat do you get the correct position of the needle in the gauge.

I would not go so far as to state that is is a "design flaw" from Crewe,but THE FACT is that from the driver's seat, one misreads the needle's position in a major way.

Hope the above has been useful.

Warm Regards to All

Pedro

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 521
Posted on Sunday, 13 January, 2019 - 01:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Pedro, maybe swap the fuel gauge and temperature gauge that way your engine will be cooler and you have more fuel left lol
Mike

Pedro Gomes
Frequent User
Username: portamno

Post Number: 70
Posted on Sunday, 13 January, 2019 - 21:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mike!

You know what? Yours is a TREMENDOUS SUGGESTION!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: