Problem starting Spur Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Problem starting Spur « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gonzalo.develasco
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, 28 December, 2018 - 15:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello. New to the forum, and seeking some help.

My 82 Spur started having problems starting. Car has a Bosch Jetronic. Chasis number 04472

In cold it will start perfectly. And then if shut down, it will restart again without any problem. But if I let her cool down for about 20 minutes, will have a lot of problems starting, may take up to 10 attempts and then it will start with some gas smell.

So, I proceeded to change all 7 sensors in the thermostat housing, plus the thermostat itself, but the problem persisted. Then I did renew the warmup regulator, and the problem persists.

The only thing I noticed is a funny sound that will happen every time the engine is bound to start... something like a valve or throttle body is opening..... if no sound the car will not start.

I am running out of otions here. any advice please?

(Message approved by david_gore)

Roderick Waite
Prolific User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 194
Posted on Friday, 28 December, 2018 - 20:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Gonzalo, I had something of the sort with my '84 Spirit that had me flummoxed for months - not only was starting difficult, the engine would suddenly cut out for no apparent reason as well. Turned out to be the two solenoid valves near the mineral oil reservoirs that weaken the mixture when running fast, and flood air when stopping to prevent dieseling. Either one faulty or sticking could cause the problem, I'd think. And it might be the un-sticking that gives your little valve-y sound.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1773
Posted on Saturday, 29 December, 2018 - 05:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Please have a look under the car to see if there is a fuel accumulator on your model of car. If it does, then that is probably one place for you to start looking.
Near the back wheel and underneath the car, you should see three cylindrical looking items and they will be fuel pump, fuel filter and fuel accumulator.

Jim Walters
Prolific User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 213
Posted on Saturday, 29 December, 2018 - 06:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gonzalo, you do not have two solenoid valves on your car as it is fuel injected. Roderick is talking about a UK model Spirit that has SU carbs. Your fuel accumulator is likely faulty as Omar suggested.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Roderick Waite
Prolific User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 195
Posted on Saturday, 29 December, 2018 - 07:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oops! Sorry! I thought fuel injection didn't get going until 1986 - and Gonzalo had told me his car had a Bosch Jetronic! Never let the facts get in the way of a good story ...

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2128
Posted on Saturday, 29 December, 2018 - 18:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have you checked for a spark whilst cranking?

Tried using the throttle whilst cranking?

Gonzalo
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, 31 December, 2018 - 07:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, Jim:

you were right. There is a fuel accumulatori and it seems as the culprit. I gound one in ebay for $125, and it is on its way.

In bosch site there is the compatibility list.

Thanks a lot !!!

(Message approved by david_gore)

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1775
Posted on Wednesday, 02 January, 2019 - 06:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great news Gonzalo. Thanks for the feedback.
Omar

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 286
Posted on Wednesday, 02 January, 2019 - 21:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gonzalo, had 87 my uk car with fuel injection and just 15k miles on. Loads of problems as you describe, changing fuel accumulator fixed all issues. Got the tip off RROC-AU-what a great site!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: