Silver Spur Memory Seat Problem Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Silver Spur Memory Seat Problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Shostrom
Experienced User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, 14 August, 2005 - 18:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen: I have just purchased a 1988 Silver Spur (chassis JCH22984) and had always told myself I would stick with earlier cars without such gadgets as ... memory seats! Well, this car was too good to pass up, so now it has a good home. But, of course the passenger memory seat unit packed up the very next day! With some fiddling, I have been able to get the switch to operate the seat electrically forward and backward, but no tilting of the squab or cushion. I know the ECU for the memory seats is prone to this malady, but at HK$40,000 list for the part (about HK$28,000 net to RREC members) I thought it might be wise to seek help for alternative solutions. Actually, I would be happy to at least adjust squab and cushion to a comfortable position for my passenger and would appreciate any help or advice that can be offered. Perhaps Richard Treacy has encountered this situation before? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
John Shostrom (Hong Kong)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 864
Posted on Monday, 15 August, 2005 - 01:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A question: does the memory work at all ?

Regardless, the seat motors are operated by microswitches and should move the seats even when the ECU is faulty.

The microswitches are common-or-garden Burgess industrial microswitches, and you can use the DC variety for the window lifts and memory seats alike. The best replacement is the Japanese Omron V-21-1C6, available at any industrial electrical supplier. This switch is ideally rated 21A at 250VAC and 18A at 14VDC. They cost next to nothing, whereas Crewe-sourced microswitches cost maybe US$100 each: nuts to that. In some applications you need a small self-tapping screw to attach the lead or busbar such as in the driver's window switches, but the hole is already drilled and fitting is trivial.

Usually, the seats pack in because drinks have been sloshed around the control panel, and a good clean out is all that is required (that's all my car needed last month). It is a simple job, and I can describe it if you wish. Otherwise, new microswitches will usually fix your problem.

By the way, an exchange memory ECU retails in the UK for £225 for your car in the worst case.

RT.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 866
Posted on Monday, 15 August, 2005 - 02:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

ps if your ECU is badly shot, you can easily hard-wire the microswitches to bypass it.

Also, have you tried the reset procedure outlined below ?

John Shostrom
Experienced User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, 15 August, 2005 - 04:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard: Thank you so much for this information. Within this week, I shall try resetting the memory as per your instructions. Also, I shall do as you did and thoroughly clean everything up. I really appreciate your help on this, and will keep you informed. Best ever, John