Small split on top of radiator grille Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Small split on top of radiator grille « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Monday, 12 November, 2018 - 20:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The horror of finding a small split on the right hand of my 82 Spirit's radiator grill has sent me into a meltdown so severe that not even kicking my cat and rooster can quell me.

It appears that the piece of stainless steel that faces forward at the top was either not soldiered properly to the surround in the first place (unthinkable) or that over time it has for some bizarre reason come slightly away.

Bob would have known the answer for this one off the top of his head by he is no longer with us unfortunately.

And so, do I heat the stainless with a torch and then silver soldier it using a clamp to force this piece back against the surround ?

I really don't want to touch it and curse myself for having noticed it in the first place.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Monday, 12 November, 2018 - 20:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir at last years geek meet, Omar bought some solder stuff that worked with very little heat, Alan Dibley also bought some, perhaps they might shed some light on your problem good luck.

Richard.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 583
Posted on Monday, 12 November, 2018 - 23:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir, This is not an unknown problem. The risk with heating is distortion and discolouration. I used JB Weld epoxy on mine which lasted some years until an argument with a falling tree branch at 60 mph wrote the grill off. The insurance co. paid for a new complete grille !
Mark

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2089
Posted on Monday, 12 November, 2018 - 23:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The problem is I believe, a steel piece that forms an inside frame. Unfortunately this can rust and expand causing the plate adjoining it to 'pop'. Sticking it back can help but it can be difficult without disassembly.

Following on from Mark's comments and depending on your insurance companies views. ..

you could try this . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78b67l_yxUc

Grand Master

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Tuesday, 13 November, 2018 - 05:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ah such soothing, wise and in depth input my fellow Grandmasters.

Paul I am not to be encouraged by Basil's scientific methods as I once drank too much one night in Sydney and threw my stereo out of a window at great height because it would not play ACDC Whole Lot of Rosie - well I had warned it!

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3056
Posted on Tuesday, 13 November, 2018 - 08:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

Due to the low thermal conductivity of stainless steel, any repair process involving heat is almost certain to result in observable distortion/buckling of the parent metal [often referred to as "oil canning" after the old-fashioned oil cans that had a domed base which could be pushed in and out to control oil delivery to where it was wanted].

"Cold" solder avoids the distortion but colour matching the stainless steel is extremely difficult often to the point of being impossible. Same applies to spot welding where the colour can be restored but "dimpling" from the electrode pressure that has to be applied is inevitable.

Paul Yorke's suggestion is relevant but "Basil's Repair" requires lots of practice to get an acceptable result.

From memory of video of Crewe radiator assembly, the craftsmen [a true use of this word] used what appeared to be soft solder and a large old-fashioned hand soldering iron to fill the joints. This used the heat of the iron and not heating of the parent metal to seal the joint thus avoiding excessive distortion. The unknown factor for me is how the colour matching between the filler metal and the polished parent metal as well as discolouration from atmospheric exposure during the life of the vehicle was achieved and no doubt this was a "trade secret" which will die with the craftsmen involved.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2090
Posted on Tuesday, 13 November, 2018 - 09:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think that the gaps are so small that the solder (and it's colour difference) is such a thin line it's not really noticeable.

If you look really closely there us often a thin Matt grey line.

David Gore

Post Number: 3060
Posted on Tuesday, 13 November, 2018 - 09:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul,

Not having a car to check made it difficult for me to comment.

The old-fashioned [proper technology IMHO] hand soldering iron still has a place in practice.

Over to Vladimir to apply his skills and tried, tested and true tools to the Camargue [after fixing the underlying cause first ].

Grand Master

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Tuesday, 13 November, 2018 - 11:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hmmmm, the Moderator, has alluded to the Camargue.

So horrified that I was about Paul's post on metal rusting and pushing out the top face of the radiator grill out that I immediately inspected the Camargue's grill but more of that in a minute.

The correct way to fix the tiny split in the Spirit's radiator grill is to buy a new surround from Flying Spares and that's easy at $9096 AUD plus freight, tax and ancillary governmental fleecing would come to more than I paid for the entire car.

So lured into treachous paranoia I inspected the grille Camargue. No cracks and no outside evidence there is any join. Furthermore, no ferrous metal to rust behind it.

As I have to arrive in Texas in a few days time for my new job I will not have time to remove the Spirit's grille to observe existence of rusting metal. Paul's pronouncement of expanding rusty metal seemed to me to be very logical.

One thing I am not going to do is put any flame near the Spirit's grill.

Working with stainless is a world of pain. Just drilling a hole in stainless annoys me.

The tiny crack in the radiator grille vanished this morning and became a resting not a deceased parrot.

Who started this thread anyway?

David Gore

Post Number: 3061
Posted on Tuesday, 13 November, 2018 - 11:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry Vladimir, I had forgotten the Spirit had also found a home at Mount Coolon.

Please accept my using a "senior's moment" excuse for this oversight.............................

Would I be so unkind to blame you for starting this in the first instance?????

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: