Door Window Seals and Nasty Surprises Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Door Window Seals and Nasty Surprises « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Friday, 02 November, 2018 - 10:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One of the first annoying things I found with my Purple 82 Spirit is that the driver's side window did not lower correctly but indeed sideways.

A quick look at how the window switch unit (4) sat against the inside door trim indicated that some clown of a mechanic or perhaps weekend tinkerer or dodgy brothers caryard greasemonkey you had been inside the door. This was confirmed by the many screws missing when pulling the inside door trim off.

And there the eyesore presented itself. The steel metal window holder had rusted way to such an extent that the wires that run in nylon wheels had come off. This is because given the weight of the window and the existent rust to the window holder, the wheels would twist downward causing the wire the come off and the window to go down one end faster that the other - which in RR/B embarrassments in public is right up there.

I believe the rubber seals that sit between the window and the door itself on the outside of the car are the problem.

Rubber, like politican's promise in time and especially in Australian sun, shrink and these had indeed shrunk some 19mm letting rain water flow beautifully inside the door and take up permanent residence on the metal window holder.

This car is SCAZSOOO1CCH04092. Flying Spares has seals from Vin 57001 so looks like I miss out there but I will see what they say. These seals UT10516 are 60.77 Sterling ie $110 per metre. To do four doors you need at least 3 metres as the combination length of all four seals is 2.56 metres and the good news is you will have .44 metre of seal left to either make yourself a rubber moustache or frame in prominent place to sob at given the super crazy price of this seal. I mean its a bloody rubber seal - nothing more.

Yes so that's $330 AUD without freight, customs, sales tax and other parasitic governmental fleecements.

My moral of the story is this: If you are inspecting a Spirit or Spur with a view to purchase and these seals have shrunk, immediately knock $2000 of the price.

When first saw the window go down in a crazy twisted fashion I thought "how could that be?" I have a !976 Cadillac Fleetwood and all four electric windows work perfectly.

Well now I know the answer and it ain't pretty!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: