Main Beam /High Beam does not work pr... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Main Beam /High Beam does not work properly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter Burkhardt
New User
Username: corelian

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, 16 October, 2018 - 21:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good afternoon everybody,

since the headlights did not work at all on my 97 Turbo R, I had the headlight ecu overhauled by SBI in England. Put it back in, everything works fine, except it would not "hold" high beam /main beam. I can only dip-flash the highbeam-lights and only with the lightswitch in postitions "Auto" or "Park".

With the lightswitch in "Headlights", they would neither dip-flash nor would hold the high-beams when I move the stalk. I read about an "switch-over relay" and I assume some relay to be the culprit. However I was not able to locate this particular relais. You can hear a realy "klick" when moving the stalk, however all the relais I pulled next to the headlight ecu did not change matters.

Would anyon know where this "switchover relay" is located or whereelse the cause could be? I try to enclose pictures of the relais installed in my car. Since I lack an owners manual and since the relay-location-chart in the workshop manual is so small, details about the relais can not be read, I would appreciate any info. I wonder if the location of realis did change when they introduced the "new Bentley R" ?

Thanks for all info, Peter

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 514
Posted on Wednesday, 17 October, 2018 - 01:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Peter
What is the chassis number ?
Mike

Peter Burkhardt
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, 17 October, 2018 - 05:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mike, the chassis number is: 59050 (right hand drive)
Unfortunately I can not upload pictures due to their size. I will go and make a sketch for better understanding day after tomorrow.
Thanks, peter

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Wednesday, 17 October, 2018 - 06:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Peter I have a Turbo R chassis number 60128 I will be back from holiday at the weekend and try to help you cross check your problem.

Richard.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3025
Posted on Wednesday, 17 October, 2018 - 07:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter,

The following threads will give you the basics of posting images

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/30/18341.html

To post images on forum, use minimum resolution 300dpi for clarity/sharpness and resize to 640 x 480pixels [landscape] or 480 x 640pixels [portrait].

The posting procedure is included in the Formatting sub-topic under DOCUMENTATION in the LHS menu on the following forum page:

http://au.rrforums.net/cgi-bin/forum/discus.pl

Just scroll down to "Images, Attachments, and Clipart" under "Other Formatting" and use the image or attach command line as appropriate to the type of file you wish to upload. The method is old and clunky commensurate with the age of the forum software but it becomes easier once you use it several times.

If you have any problems, please PM me with the details through the forum and I will take you through the process step-by-step.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Thursday, 18 October, 2018 - 01:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1698
Posted on Thursday, 18 October, 2018 - 01:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

this image is from my 96 Azure.
It should be the same as yours.
The location is near the suspension tower close to the LHM oil reservoirs. When you remove the plastic panel to access this box, the back of the panel will have a legend of what all the relays are.
Good luck.

Peter Burkhardt
New User

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, 18 October, 2018 - 06:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks to everyone for all the info. Richard, I will wait, please take your time. Omar, thanks for the picture. Unfortunately, there is no legend on my panel. However, I do not have a relay on all the connectors. However I tried to put in a relay from another location in the empty spots, but this did not change anything.

David, downsizing is the key word and I will try this in a minute.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3026
Posted on Thursday, 18 October, 2018 - 09:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter,

Always remember "A journey of 1000Km always starts with a single step!"

Your next steps are:

i. Use 640 x 480 pixels for landscape format images.

ii. Use 480 x 640 pixels for portrait format images.

iii. To separate images and paragraphs as above, always use the ENTER key twice before inserting the IMAGE command line or starting a new paragraph.

iv. To space out the post after completion, use the ENTER key twice to create a space between the post and the bottom line and insert a full stop or emoji if you wish. If you do not do this, the bottom line space does not happen.

or .

Peter Burkhardt
New User

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, 18 October, 2018 - 16:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good morning David, thanks for the helping hand in my post and the info! This sure will help me next time.

Roderick Waite
Prolific User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 193
Posted on Thursday, 18 October, 2018 - 16:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Latecomer - just a thought - I suppose the dipswitch itself is functioning correctly? It's a pretty cheap looking sort of gadget.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Thursday, 01 November, 2018 - 22:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter all the relays on my car are identical to the photographs of yours above, I ran my car at idle with the headlights on and removed each, one at a time the head lights did not falter, I wonder is the E C U still faulty , or as Roderick suggested a faulty switch, I don't have a wiring diagram, and Information about these late cars is scarce, Perhaps Michael might be able to suggest something.

michael vass
Grand Master

Post Number: 515
Posted on Friday, 02 November, 2018 - 19:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Peter
I've had a look at the wiring diagrams for 96 -97 cars and all the control is in the ecu control box the earlier cars had external relays.If you can flash your headlights with the engine running then they should stay on main. I think your box is still faulty.I wonder if they thought it was for an older car?
I think it's worth sending back or if you can try in another car of the same age.
Good luck
Mike

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Friday, 02 November, 2018 - 21:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Michael, no point in looking for something that dose not exist.

michael vass
Grand Master

Post Number: 516
Posted on Saturday, 03 November, 2018 - 02:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Richard :-)
Peter I meant to have your headlights on and engine running the main beam should "latch" when you pull the lever towards you and flash when headlights are not on ,ok.
Hi Rod , yours is different but still has a latching relay the switch on the column is the same for all models though ok, nice to see you on here again
Cheers
Mike

Peter Burkhardt
New User

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, 10 December, 2018 - 04:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Folks,
first of all, thanks for all the info given. I would like to update you on the myth of my headlights: I was unable to drive the car as I overhauled the brakes all around which took me a while since I only work on it in the evenings.
When the brakes were done, I did test-drive the Turbo quite extensively.
AND: all of a sudden, the high-beam could be engaged and would hold! BUT: Next time I drove it, high-beam wouldn"t work at all.
After quite some searching (I carefully checked the ground terminals, etc.), I tend to suspect the ECI to be the culprit. I need to take up the issue with SBI in London, where I had the ECU overhauled.
I will keep you posted. Have a nice day, peter

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Monday, 10 December, 2018 - 05:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

peter thanks for the update, good luck with that.

Richard.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: