Proper Battery Size for 1986 Silver Spur Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Proper Battery Size for 1986 Silver Spur « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 937
Posted on Sunday, 07 October, 2018 - 16:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

1986 Silver Spur

It is time for a new battery and I would like to get one that fits the tray in the boot.
Battery that came with Spur when purchased years ago was wrong size but has lasted until recently.
Spur did not come with owner manual and I do not see one in the tech library.
I am told that group 27 is proper size and purchased one but it is 1" too long and does not fit into the battery tray.
Battery is 12.5" long whereas tray will only accommodate 11.5"
Of course I could delete the tray but this time I was hoping to get the battery area set up properly and deleting the tray also deletes the receptacle for the two spare brake fluid bottles.
Does the owner manual give any battery group size or dimensions?

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2063
Posted on Sunday, 07 October, 2018 - 18:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Some brands are naughty insofar as they will cross reference their nearest size battery as compatible but it may not be.
Ie an 072 in one brand may be suitable and fit but another may not.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 938
Posted on Sunday, 07 October, 2018 - 18:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

1986 Silver Spur #13909

Found this parts diagram in tech library for the relevant serial number and after deducting for the two wooden spacer blocks on either long end of the battery (part #ud23337...only one shows in the diagram but there are two on mine) the maximum length that will fit is reduced to about 10". Barring any further information my only recourse is to choose a battery simply based on dimensions that will fit. I was wondering what the factory thought/expected would fit.

Paul...
Thanks. The battery specification dimension chart that I access does not show any such group 072 or 72. (Did dyslexia hit and you actually meant "27"?) From scanning that chart it appears that either group 24 or group 34 may be likely suspects as they are both 10.25" length and thus will probably fit.

Battery Box Layout

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2064
Posted on Sunday, 07 October, 2018 - 18:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not this time Christian.

Find another chart or just Google 072 batteries.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2652
Posted on Monday, 08 October, 2018 - 04:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

From the RR & Bentley Parts, Repair, Restoration & Other Resources Compilation

----------------------------
Battery Replacement
Group 27 batteries are used in Rolls-Royce and Bentleys from 1946 to 1980. Usually the positive post is toward the front of the car (and closest to the side of the car, as opposed to the interior of the boot/trunk) which would mean a 27F for cars with the battery on the right side [Clouds] of the car and a 27 for cars with the battery on the left side of the car [most, but not all, Shadows and Corniches]. Check the battery in your car before ordering a new one. ~ H. Krimko
---------------------

As far as I recall the battery in the SZ series cars is identical to that used in the SY series.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 939
Posted on Monday, 08 October, 2018 - 06:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul...
Thanks for confirming. The similarity of the digits and being reversed was too coincidental to not mention. Yes. Googled 072 and 72 battery and they indeed do exist but it appears to be one of those "regional availability" issues. Europe, yes. US, no. Size however seems to be exactly what would fit. So that puts me back to choosing among sizes that will fit and that are US available. If any US members happen to have a US delivered Spur and can report what their manual says, that would be of interest.

Brian...
Thanks for the note and I suspect that having seen it in the past is what got me thinking that group 27 was proper. That reference however applies to Shadows (pre 1980) whereas mine is Spur (1986) and thus I can likely confirm that SZ cars are not identical to SY. Thanks anyway!

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 940
Posted on Tuesday, 09 October, 2018 - 17:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Issue resolved. Battery for SZ series is in fact different that that used in the earlier SY series. While width and height are same, it is about 2" shorter in length @ 10.5" Proper group size seems to vary with regional availability. As reported by Paul it is group 72 in UK/Continental areas and in US/North American areas it is group 24. Proper terminal orientation is referred to as "left positive". That is, with positive end of the battery oriented forward, the terminals are to the left of the battery length centerline. This battery fits perfectly in the plastic carrier. Wood spacers drop in perfectly.

Brian...
If you have time, perhaps an update note to this effect in your very valuable Compilation reference would be appropriate. Thank you!

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2653
Posted on Wednesday, 10 October, 2018 - 09:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian,

RR & Bentley Parts, Repair, Restoration & Other Resources Compilation has been updated, including attribution.

Brian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: