Purple Spirit Simple Modification For... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Purple Spirit Simple Modification For Battery « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Tuesday, 02 October, 2018 - 17:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jetsetters I recently got rid of the ex's Holden Commodore to some wild local cowboys and that was jolly good because Commodores were rubbish cars new, however I had to throw in my auxiliary battery to get them out of the CBD of my outback town of ten.

So when I put my Falcon Pano's battery into the Spirit the earth strap being so short could not reach the negative terminal. Having a number of Falcon wrecks here I had little trouble locating a longer earth strap and fitted that so now I can fit any battery to the Spirit and it does not matter which side on the battery the terminals are.

I recommend this simple modification for the following reasons:

1. All batteries are bastards just like politicians and there is no telling when they will let you down. Batteries used to last up to eight years in the 1970s but now the can die within 3 months - that's my personal experience with the mongrels. Indeed I had a battery croak in the middle of the Nullabor Plains which is not exactly a battery Super Store.

My fellow custodians you simply don't want to be in a freezing winter, and find a little garage that has only one battery left for sale where the terminals are on the opposite side to the original.

2. The modification is as simple as slipping over on to your bum on an ice covered Russian footpath and can easily be reversed in case the Judges of your local concourse are defending evilly upon you and your boot space.

I plan to do the same with the Camargue. Cheers.

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 221
Posted on Wednesday, 03 October, 2018 - 08:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir, I had suspected that you were wired the wrong way but now it's confirmed!

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Thursday, 04 October, 2018 - 01:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Vlad,
This is a good modification for anyone living in remote parts of the world.
For those who live in places where you can even choose the colour of the terminal caps and also the pretty pictures on the cardboard box that the batteries come in - there is no need. We can have any battery we want delivered and fitted for free within an hour of making a toll free call. This is a luxury that comes with living in the city. For those who have this luxury, we can leave our cars as they were.

If I lived in Mount Coolon I would do your mod at a heart beat.

Omar

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 223
Posted on Thursday, 04 October, 2018 - 06:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Me too.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3019
Posted on Thursday, 04 October, 2018 - 09:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have form for this having done the same to my first car, a 1963 XL Falcon with the "Pursuit" 170CID engine and 2 speed Fordomatic transmission given to me by my parents when they replaced it with a 1969 Falcon XT Fairmont with the "new" 302CID V8 engine and [I think] the US "Cruisomatic" Select Shift auto transmission.

Living in country NSW meant having to expect the unexpected and the ability to fit any 12V battery in an emergency was a necessary "get you home" safety item.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 931
Posted on Thursday, 04 October, 2018 - 12:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Since we are confessing...
I live in an area as referenced by Omar but still did it simply because I was too cheap and too lazy to buy the proper battery and instead used the spare that I already had but which was wrong size. Used wood scraps to keep it from moving around in the battery box. Looks "non-concourse" but works fine!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: