'91 Corniche Leaking Issues Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » '91 Corniche Leaking Issues « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Don Ivener
New User
Username: cirruspilot

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, 23 August, 2018 - 22:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Need some help with my ’91 Corniche III.LHD SZ30431
There are several leaking problems that need sorting out. I would like to correct them myself if possible and will appreciate comments on this task.
Steering rack leaking. Is it reasonable to try to remove it myself? I am planning to send it out for rebuilding.
Both brake pumps need rebuilding.
The high pressure steering hose and low pressure AC hoses are leaking. Is it possible to have these hoses rebuilt at a hose shop since the replacement cost is so high?

I appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks, Don

Jeff Young
Grand Master
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 378
Posted on Friday, 24 August, 2018 - 00:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Don,

Yes, the power steering hoses can be replaced by any competent hose shop. I'd strongly recommend flare wrenches for disconnecting/connecting them.

I've never done the rack but I know others here have so I'll let them chime in.

The brake pumps are easy if you have a pump removal tool (https://www.britishtoolworks.com/product-page/brake-pump-socket). If you don't, then you need to be reasonably handy with a metal chisel to rotate it without damaging it.

Cheers,
Jeff

Jim Walters
Prolific User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, 24 August, 2018 - 03:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Don, the rack is easy to remove if you have the right tools. The most useful is the "question mark" wrench. This allows you to easily loosen the rack mount bolts from underneath.

If you can't borrow or rent it, then some stubby and normal length wrenches can be used to remove it although there is very little room to do so. Also, on some models you can reach the bolts from the top using long extensions, universal joints and sockets. Make sure you place witness marks on the shaft universal and rack pinion before removing so your steering wheel is straight when the rack is reinstalled.
You can stop the leaks from your brake pumps without removing the pumps. The leaks will be from the pump outer housing O rings. Remove the lines from the pump, and then the large circlip that holds the pump outer housing onto the pump. Twist and pull the housing off and you will see two large O rings on the outside of the pump. Replace those, lubricate them with fresh mineral oil, and slide the housing back on.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1644
Posted on Friday, 24 August, 2018 - 04:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Don,
How have you concluded that the hydraulic pumps are in need of attention? there are many many components associated with that system and to home in on the pumps without additional detail makes us wonder if you are going to bust a gut on them only to find that it was something else (like the accumulators for example).
If you try to remove the pumps without the right tool you could damage them. Sometimes they are woefully tight. Kelly Opfar from this forum makes these tools and his tools are better than original Rolls-Royce ones.

Secondly; the hoses are just that - hoses. Any hose that meets the specs is good enough. They don't have to have Cartier embossed on them to make them do what they were engineered to do.

Finally the steering rack - yes that is a job for the home mechanic (to remove and refit) but a more serious individual to overhaul it. I find that it is beyond me so I send mine out for repairs whenever necessary.

Don Ivener
New User

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, 24 August, 2018 - 20:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I just want to thank everyone for their help.
Regards, Don

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1650
Posted on Friday, 24 August, 2018 - 22:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Don,
Our cars are almost sisters. Mine is SZ 30060 which is a 90 Model - also a LHD but a Bentley variant.

Don Ivener
Experienced User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, 24 August, 2018 - 22:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Interesting...
My A/C is not great. The mechanic told me that he doesn't find that the 134A conversions work as well as R12. What refrigerant are you using in your cars?
I considering converting back to R12 which as still available.
Thanks, Don

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, 25 August, 2018 - 02:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The chances that both brake pumps have failed is rare. Most likely the accumulators are very low. A test gauge and knowing what to do with it will help sort out what component has failed and it will save you time and money.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: