Rear damper Bush replacement Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Rear damper Bush replacement « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter Maclaren
Experienced User
Username: ludo

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, 12 August, 2018 - 18:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am hoping to replace the lower damper bushes on CH 55635.
Ever since buying this car I have been disappointed with the ride quality, especially the rear. Following suggestions, I had the spheres replaced and this did provide some improvement.
The car has since been on a hoist and given a close inspection looking for any shortcomings.
I noticed that the bushes on the rear dampers are quite loose and are quite possibly no longer 'up to the job'.
I have obtained new genuine bushes which are definitely thicker than the old ones, but before attempting the replacement I thought it best to call upon the wisdom of the forum.
The info I have gleaned so far seems to focus on the changing of the whole strut which I wasn't planning to do as the existing ones are deemed to be in good condition.
Is it feasible after depressurising the system,and removing the securing nut, to compress the damper piston sufficiently by hand to allow the removal of the old bushes without having to remove the whole damper.
Any advice will be most helpful and gratefully received.

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 493
Posted on Monday, 13 August, 2018 - 00:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Peter
Yes you can drop the radius arm sufficient to release the bushes after you have completely depressurised the system.
Mike

Peter Maclaren
Experienced User

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, 13 August, 2018 - 17:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Mike, that's reassuring to know. I really appreciate your prompt response, many thanks
Peter

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 494
Posted on Monday, 13 August, 2018 - 22:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Peter , sorry I've just seen your chassis number, I'm not sure about an active ride car which yours is I believe!
Mike

Robert J. Sprauer
Frequent User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, 14 August, 2018 - 08:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It may be helpful to view the TSD for your car on the home page
http://rrtechnical.info/

Peter Maclaren
Experienced User

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, 14 August, 2018 - 12:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mike, I'm hoping that the two systems are the same when it comes to the bush replacement. I'm wanting to lift the bottom of the strut sufficiently to clear the top of the trailing arm.

Hi Robert Unfortunately I can't find any TSD covering this aspect of my car ie 1995 info is limited.

Darryl Watson
Frequent User
Username: inox

Post Number: 67
Posted on Sunday, 19 August, 2018 - 05:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Peter,
We have a 1990 Mulsanne S with active ride.
I replaced the bushes on our car by dropping the arm but it needed a modicum of muscle power.
De-pressurise the system.
Support the car reasonably high. (I used an axle stand on the opposite side and large cross section support under the final drive)
Support arm with a jack.
Remove nut.
Lower jack & remove strut lower end. (This where you may need the modicum of muscle).
Remove old bushes.
You will find tons of dirt and stuff in the boxed area.
I cleaned it all out, power washed the area and when dry swamped it in anti-rust stuff.
Have fun
Regards
Darryl

Peter Maclaren
Experienced User

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, 19 August, 2018 - 12:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Darryl,your description of how you went about replacing the bushes gives me the confidence I need to attempt the work on my car.
Cheers,Peter

Darryl Watson
Frequent User
Username: inox

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, 19 August, 2018 - 18:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter,
I forgot to mention that you will possibly require new 2 x "retaining washer rear damper mounting" UR20859. They had rusted badly on our car.
Regards

Peter Maclaren
Experienced User

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, 28 August, 2018 - 15:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have sucessfully replaced the bushes on the struts. The hardest part turned out to be the bleeding. Fortunately I had recently cleaned all the underside of the car and the retaining washers were also rustfree.
Thanks guys for all the advice without which I would probably not have attempted to do it myself.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: