93 silver spirit airbag light Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » 93 silver spirit airbag light « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Russ Turner
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 139.216.139.197
Posted on Saturday, 30 June, 2018 - 16:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi guys, just putting this out there, does anybody have a procedure to clear the airbag fault without using a diagnostic tool? (on due to disconnecting battery), or does anyone know who has a master check tool in Victoria?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1577
Posted on Sunday, 01 July, 2018 - 03:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

one of the Grand Masters - Michael Vass posted the following recently:

Hi Omar
I have just found some airbag info for Pedro , I'm sure you know it but it may help you here OK http://rrtechnical.info/sz/cs/tsd5069p2.pdf
Good luck
Mike

Jim Walters
Prolific User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 178
Posted on Monday, 02 July, 2018 - 05:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I posted that link and the other two that go along with it for the post 30K VIN cars five weeks ago in another thread. They have been posted many times in the past by both myself and others. Anyone with a post 30K car should read through these until they fully understand the information contained. The most important information in these are the instructions for interrogating the engine management and airbag ECU's. Understanding what one can do to self diagnose a fault in the post 30K cars can save hours of trial and error and guesswork in trying to locate a faulty component.
Once more:

http://rrtechnical.info/sz/cs/tsd5069p1.pdf

http://rrtechnical.info/sz/cs/tsd5069p2.pdf

http://rrtechnical.info/sz/cs/tsd5069p3.pdf

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1578
Posted on Monday, 02 July, 2018 - 05:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Jim,
This is excellent.
Does it work for a 96 model door car too? or is it only for the 93 models?
Thanks
Omar

Jim Walters
Prolific User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 180
Posted on Monday, 02 July, 2018 - 06:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar, as long as you have the test button in the fuse panel you can interrogate the engine management ECU. You need to dig out the connector and single wire from under the fuse panel to interrogate and reset the airbag ECU.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1579
Posted on Tuesday, 03 July, 2018 - 03:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Jim,
Sadly I dont have the button on my 96 cars. I dont know what you mean by the single wire from under the fuse panel. Do you have any photos?
Thnaks

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Tuesday, 03 July, 2018 - 03:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There is of course the Russian Method.

Grab an electric drill. Cordless if you are flash like me. Insert into drill a 1 to 2mm drill bit. Turn ignition on. Locate airbag light and engine light (because engine lights always come on).

Drill slowly through dash until airbag light and engine light goes out. Remove drill. Insert a tiny amount of clear plastic glue in drill holes using surgical glove.

Crack open bottle of Vodka and consume. Half way through bottle you will come to two conclusions:

1. The annoying light will never annoy you again;

2. Your need to purchase an expensive scan tool or get fleeced by a dealership using one has vanished.

Note: In rare instance that you are involved in an accident and some official asks about the drill hole exclaim with surprise "Hole? What hole?" Then perhaps shut up and call a lawyer.

Russ Turner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, 11 July, 2018 - 18:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the posts and very helpful information , airbag light has vanished!!!
Procedure was as followed:
1) ground switch jump wire to pin P green wire on mastercheck port.
2)three second switch and read all faults code 59 and 61, after reading all codes ground switch for 15 seconds and faults cleared!!!
It would only clear if you performed the whole procedure continuously and didn’t cycle the ignition between reading codes and clearing them!!

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 484
Posted on Wednesday, 11 July, 2018 - 23:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well done Russ , I know a lot of people have this problem.
Mike

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1596
Posted on Thursday, 12 July, 2018 - 05:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Russ,
which year car do you have?
will the procedure work on my 96 cars?
which link did you use?
many thanks for your input.
Omar

Russ Turner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, 12 July, 2018 - 19:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar,
The year of my vehicle is a 1993, it has the 36 pin mastercheck diagnostic plug. I followed the first link in this forum but I couldn’t find the three pin airbag diagnostic plug, so I used the P pin in the mastercheck diagnostic plug (green wire).
I then followed the procedure using the grounded earth with the switch in between..
Whether this will work on your 96 model I am not experienced enough to answer.
I would assume if your vehicle has the same 36pin diagnostic plug it may well work!!
I had a few issues working it out!
Make sure have a fully charged battery!
Make sure you read all faults
Make sure after all faults have been read do not cycle the ignition and continue ground switch for 15 seconds.
Then turn ignition off the on!!
This was the only way it worked for me.
I’m sure there are more experienced and knowledgeable members on this forum that could help you out more than I.
But if you need more detail let me know.
Good luck!!!

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 985
Posted on Friday, 13 July, 2018 - 23:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Russ it would be an asset to us to have more members like yourself on this section of the forum.

Richard.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1598
Posted on Friday, 13 July, 2018 - 23:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear David,
This has to be one of the most valuable threads we have had this year. May I please request that it is moved to the Spirit section instead of Miscellaneous?

Done.........

Dear Russ,
When you say first link, is that the first link that Jim sent or was it the one that I sent?
Thanks
Omar.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1619
Posted on Wednesday, 01 August, 2018 - 04:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen,
please look at the last page of this link:

http://rrtechnical.info/sz/cs/tsd5069p1.pdf

I want that information for my 2002 and 1996 Azures. Does anyone know what each bar stands for for my cars? or where to look?

I feel if I can identify which one is the air bag I can just programme it out of the display and it will simply vanish as if the car never had it in the first instance.
Thnaks
Omar

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2600
Posted on Thursday, 02 August, 2018 - 02:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

I am having a difficult time with getting that link to load. Just thought you'd want to know as I doubt I am alone. It's being glacially slow.

I have a copy of TSD5069 but am not sure what you're trying to refer to.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1622
Posted on Thursday, 02 August, 2018 - 05:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Brian.
It is pages 19a and 19b of TSD 5069.
Yes it is slow to open but it opens after 3 minutes on my slow 6 year old computer.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2603
Posted on Thursday, 02 August, 2018 - 13:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

I know you have both the SZ era IETIS and Seraph-Arnage era IETIS, but it's the former that you want to use for your Azures, because the SZ era IETIS covers these through the 2003 model year.

Here's what I hope will give you the information you're seeking:

1. Do a text search on the phrase option select.

2. You should get a list of 4 documents returned, the last of which will be, Driver's Information Panel - Priority 1 Dot Matrix Display Messages. Select that document.

3. The very last section of this document is entitled, Notes concerning 1997 model year motor cars and within that section a few lines down you will see the text, "The selectable features, from left to right are:" followed by a link (refer to table: 6081e_0269), click it.

4. A table will be presented that appears to me to be the left to right list of those selectable features, which should correspond to the "short/long bar" "on/off" representation that's more clearly documented in TSD5069.

If that's not it, then I have no better ideas.

Brian

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Friday, 03 August, 2018 - 04:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Brian,
you are a true luv!!
Many thanks - exactly what i was looking for!!!

Thanks again.
Interesting that the air bag warning light is programmable so that the display panel can be used for cars that have air bags and those that dont. When I programme it to think that my car does not have an air bag - it still comes on.

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, 03 August, 2018 - 06:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, that makes sense. You wouldn't want a disreputable used car dealer to sell a car with airbag issues and turn off the airbag light. The airbags are a major safety feature. Unfortunately me thinks you will have to get it looked at if you can't reset it.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1624
Posted on Friday, 03 August, 2018 - 13:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Mark,
You are right - I think the ECU is faulty. I will have to replace it.
Thanks
Omar

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2605
Posted on Saturday, 04 August, 2018 - 00:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

How does the car display the airbag fault?

I thought the earlier ones used a lamp much like the brake pressure warning lamps while the later ones used a dot matrix message.

If you're dealing with the former, and since I know this is not being done to defraud anyone but to get rid of the warning which you personally don't care about, you could just remove the lamp.

Brian, who has often wished there were ways to selectively disable warnings about which I care naught

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1625
Posted on Saturday, 04 August, 2018 - 01:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Brian,
if only mate..............
Sadly its the dot matrix piece of s%$t.
I have lots of cars that I drive that have unsafe features (like my 1966 VW bus that has nothing between me and the car ahead if i ever had a collision). Compared to some of those the Bentley is way way safer even without the air bag being active. But I am not being given the option to choose to delete the air bag if i wanted to.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2607
Posted on Saturday, 04 August, 2018 - 03:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

How unfortunate. I am in the same situation right now with another of my cars where the Check Engine light is on due to the catalytic converter now operating at less than peak efficiency. Changing out the O2 sensor made the fault take far, far longer to present itself, but it still does. Given that the car is now 22 years old I have no desire to replace the catalytic converter, so I now deal with the light and do cyclic checks with my OBD-II reader to be certain that no other code has appeared. I'd love to have a way to tell the system, "Please ignore code P0420," but, alas . . .

Brian

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1626
Posted on Saturday, 04 August, 2018 - 06:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Brian,
we have a trick here to solve that problem.
The garages here take the catalytic converter off the car and soak the internals in acid. then they wash the acid away and hey presto you have a new cat again.
I don't know which acid they use or even if they use acid in the first place. It may be a base but their communication skills are not that great.

ing.herzog@icloud.com
Yet to post message
Username: harald_herzog

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, 25 September, 2020 - 04:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

to Russ Turners instruction on reading and erasing fault codes: Thanks so much it kind off worked out!

Nevertheless I would add some details.
My Spirit '93 ish - think it was built late 92
- has 2 different plugs under the dash, in the footwell, A-pillar side, on pax side, each a 3 way, one has 3 wires attached, the other has only one in the center
- the plug with one in the center - a green wire - has continuity with the plug P in the 36pin MC connector
- in my case, I had to use the plug with 3 wires attached, and use only the green center wire for the following procedure:

Reading Fault-Codes:
1. ignition off
2. grounding the center - green wire - with chassis ground
3. ignition on -> counting 3 sec. -> de-ground the center wire, these 3 secs need to be counted fairly exact, try it a couple if times if it ain’t work at first try
4. now the dash matrix starts to blink the codes and beep with every flash of the AIRBAG symbol
5. reading codes:
every code starts with one initial beep
next, 3 beeps that tells you that it is a airbag code
next, 1 to 3 beeps
1 means: this fault is currently present
2 means: this fault was once present
3 means: the duration for how long the the prior fault-code has been stored
next, 1 to 9 beeps
next, 1 to 9 beeps
these two numbers, compared with the table shown in the manual - link some where here in other posts, give you details about the fault itself
6. read the next stored code:
ground the center wire again for 3 seconds -> the system will start beeping the next code
7. now read all codes till to the last code which is:
start beep, 3 beeps - repeatedly like all the other did too
8. if you have reached this beep pattern, all codes should be on your sheet of paper like 3-2-4-9, 3-3-2-1, ….

Erase the Fault-Codes:
1. system is still beeping 1-3-1-3- ....
2. ground the center wire for at least 15 secs -> then de-ground
3. turn ignition off and then on again
4. now the AIRBAG warning should remain off
if not, then there is still one remaining fault that needs to be fixed - but then you should have read at least one code like 3-1-#-# which tells you this fault is currently in the system

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3790
Posted on Friday, 25 September, 2020 - 07:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Re Omar's comment above regarding cleaning of catalytic convertors, the following link discusses this in some detail:

https://carcarehunt.com/blog/how-to-clean-a-catalytic-converter.html

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: