Fuel gauge sender unit ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Fuel gauge sender unit ... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roderick Waite
Prolific User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, 18 April, 2018 - 19:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello - me again - another little query. I fitted a new fuel gauge sender unit 8 years ago, and it has worked perfectly - until now. In the past 10 days or so I've noticed it tends to stick at 1/4 full. I usually keep the tank about half full, 50 litres or so, and the gauge goes up towards the 1/2 mark when I put in my usual 25 litres, but over a few days slowly settles back to 1/4 even though I haven't used the car. Is this normal behaviour indicating I need another new sender unit? Any recommendations? Thanks ...

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, 18 April, 2018 - 19:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Should have said it's for a 1984 Spirit ECH09680

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2050
Posted on Wednesday, 18 April, 2018 - 19:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does it stay down at 1/4 even if you take it for a drive?

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, 19 April, 2018 - 17:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Paul - yes, but I think that it goes down once the fuel in the tank actually does reach the quarter full mark. Not sure about that, but I can't trust it any more -I have to use the trip odometer (25 litres = 75 miles). I get nervous when it goes below a quarter - petrol stations in France are few and very far between!

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 182
Posted on Monday, 21 May, 2018 - 02:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To update this - Echo simply stopped. Luckily just as I was leaving the garage. Noticed the fuel gauge didn't move when the ignition was switched on, and knew I had about 40 litres left. Or thought I did ... fearing an electrical failure, stripped the ignition barrel ... perfect ... long story short it was a petrol leak right after the fuel pump, rubber hose evidently leaking more and more over a very long period, but only under pump pressure. Eventually leaking 2 miles-worth for every mile travelled - so I'd used 20 litres and leaked 40. Gauge didn't move because the tank was actually empty. 3 quids worth of proper hose and 5 minutes under the car fixed it.

Peter Maclaren
Experienced User
Username: ludo

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, 20 March, 2019 - 08:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My fuel gauge has been giving strange readings recentley and the car (Bentley 55635) using more fuel than usual.
The garage smelt of petrol so I looked around but could't see any obvious leaks.
I started the car this morning and in the sunlight observed a stream of fuel coming out under the car
Turned it off, raised the car and saw that the pump appears to be the culprit.
A steady drip is now leaking from the + terminal on the pump. I cleaned the area to be sure where the fuel is coming from. I had been hoping that like in Roderick's case, a hose was responsible.
Can these pumps be reconditioned? Do I have to wait until all the fuel has dripped out before removing the pump. Any advice will be appreciated.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2802
Posted on Wednesday, 20 March, 2019 - 08:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I can't speak to the pump after chassis 32146, but prior to that number it was a straight Bosch replacement.

I don't know what the arrangement is between the fuel tank and your pump is, but on my SY series cars I did not have to drain the tank to work on the pump once the fuel level was down quite a bit. I did put in a cut-off valve in the line between the tank and the pump on both in the event I ever needed to do work in the future, the tank was full, and I wanted to be able to easily ensure nothing was coming out of the tank via syphon or any other way.

If you've got a steady drip I would definitely be clamping off the hose between the tank and pump just for safety's sake. You can (and should) replace that as part of the job, too.

Brian

Robert J. Sprauer
Prolific User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 189
Posted on Wednesday, 20 March, 2019 - 10:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Pumps on SY and SZ cars are external. If fuel injection the pump is Bosch.
Hopefully just a bad hose, if you replace one, replace them all.

Peter Maclaren
Experienced User
Username: ludo

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, 20 March, 2019 - 17:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Brian and Robert for replying.Spent some time today hoping to determine that it was a hose problem,but the slow drip still appears to be from the post for the pos lead.There is what looks like a nylon seal at the top of the post where the lead is attached and the fuel is escaping between the seal and the post.
As I don't have access to a hoist, and I can't use the car now knowing fuel is escaping, I will have to come up with a plan B. Its up on axle stands at the moment plus a jack so I think its secure.

Steve Emmott
Prolific User
Username: steve_e

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, 20 March, 2019 - 17:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Unlike the earlier Shadow SU pump the later Bosch in line ones are a sealed unit and certainly no fuel should be getting out near the electrics so I would suspect some internal damage and best to just replace the whole pump.

You may though just have a slight perforation in a rubber hose close to the pump connection that is just spraying a mist of fuel onto the outside of the pump so do keep looking more as you say.

Expensive if trying to buy a new pump direct from a RR parts supplier but not that costly if you research online for one that should do the job.

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 218
Posted on Wednesday, 20 March, 2019 - 18:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Peter - as Steve says, there's no way petrol is intended to be anywhere near electrics, so I too suspect a fine leak from a nearby hose connection. Hoses almost always fray at the hose clip as a result of taking up vibration and movement, which is virtually invisible to the eye where they are. In my case the tank was empty, so replacing the hose wasn't difficult. You may have to drain the tank - an adequate number of 10 litre plastic petrol cans or some such, not much room if on ramps - clamp the hose upstream to disconnect it (mole grips are handy for that), empty the tank then replace the hose - I'd do both in and out while at it. Also check the fuel pump mountings - mine had lost two of the three and was jiggling about loose, which hadn't helped. It'll do wonders for your fuel consumption!

Rod

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: