Interior lights won't turn off Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Interior lights won't turn off « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roderick Waite
Prolific User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 172
Posted on Saturday, 14 April, 2018 - 15:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello. The interior lights in my 1984 Spirit (ECH 09680) won't turn off. All doors properly closed, boot and bonnet too. They should go off after about a minute - but they don't. Is there a switch (like the map lights) somewhere? Has a fault developed? All ideas welcome! I have to turn the battery isolator off to avoid a flat battery all the time. Thank you ...

Rod Waite
'84 Spirit.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1844
Posted on Saturday, 14 April, 2018 - 16:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Push the light switch inwards, should do the trick.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 2045
Posted on Saturday, 14 April, 2018 - 17:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rod,

Are the puddle lights and door marker lights staying on as well? Or just roof lights?

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 173
Posted on Saturday, 14 April, 2018 - 17:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Patrick - can't try that yet - you mean the main lights switch? Headlights etc:? Sounds the simple sort of thing RRs spring on you ...

Hello Paul - puddle lights = map lights? Those I can switch off via a switch on the passenger facia. All the door lights stay on though, as well as the roof lights (actually over the doors). I can switch the rear ones off via a switch in the vanity mirror trims. But not the fronts.

Thanks!

Rod

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1846
Posted on Saturday, 14 April, 2018 - 18:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rod, yes the main light switch will do the trick.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User
Username: tasbent

Post Number: 169
Posted on Saturday, 14 April, 2018 - 18:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Individual door light switches are easy enough and give them a lube spray with electronic cleaner lubricant....NOT wd40!
Also check the timer relay which controls the delayed turn off of the lights.

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 174
Posted on Saturday, 14 April, 2018 - 18:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Patrick - just been over to the garage and tried the main lights switch, and yes, it does indeed pull in and out - but it was in, and pulling it out only turned the driver's side map light on - pushing it back in turned it off again. But the other interior lights all stay on ...

Hello Paul - see above, but I notice that all the red 'door open' warning lights built into the doors are all on too (I can see the glow through the gap) - that's 10 lights on! No wonder the battery goes flat!

Stay well ...

Rod

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 2046
Posted on Saturday, 14 April, 2018 - 18:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rod, puddle lights are on the bottom of the arm rests and shine down I to any puddles when the door is open.

The red lights and puddle lights come on only when a door is unmatched. Main light switch and other switches do not operate them. Neither does the timer on most years ( so this narrows it down to the catch switches circuit nicely.)

I think the operating lever is visible on your year and pressing it up and down with a pick should result in a feint click.

Open door ONE AT A TIME. Operate the door catch with a pen so it is closed. Fine metal strip at the bottom is the lever. Clean and operate and listen.

You may just detect the red light getting slightly brighter when operating it. (This means it's operating move to the nect).

When you reach one that makes no difference it will probably be you culprit.

Have you had any door trims off lately?

Good luck with her :-)

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, 17 April, 2018 - 01:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Maxwell - the switches are OK, thanks - the timer relay sounds a very likely candidate! Where does it live, please? I checked the relays in the fuse box anyway, they're OK - but there are dozens of relays (little aluminium cubes) all over the place! Finding the right one is the trick ...

Hello Paul - the mystery deepens. The red warning lights in the doors are on even with the doors closed properly - I can see the glow through the gap, They shoulld only be on when that door is open? The other 3 staying off when the door is closed even with the driver's door open? All 10 lights are on all the time. So it may not be the catch switch? This morning, the first time I tried - they worked perfectly! Closed my door, and about 15 seconds later all the lights went out. Eureka! But the next time - they all stayed on again, and every time since. :-( I'll try Maxwell's relay if I can find it, replace it I guess, and then try your trick. Never easy, is it?

Thanks everyone ... stay well

Rod
'84 Spirit

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 2048
Posted on Tuesday, 17 April, 2018 - 02:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Road,

Sorry but I can't work out exactly what you are saying and when lights are on and if they are ever on (red lights).

The timer is a beige plastic box. Most likely passengers side behind the fuse box. But I'd have to check.

Cheers, Paul.

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 456
Posted on Tuesday, 17 April, 2018 - 02:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rod
hope your all ok down there!
Sounds like an intermittent door switch to me.
Mike

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, 17 April, 2018 - 11:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Roderick, make it easy on yourself and check out the wiring diagrams for your model on this site.
Also, your hand book or other literature should have a diagram of the fuse and relay layout.

I'm well aware of these poxy little silver cubes!!
And after 34 years they would be just about done with corrosion and bad contacts.
I found it easier to replace the damn lot, including the ones contained in the doors with modern relays and the heavy usage ones I up-rated with higher amp relays.....27 in all if I remember.

We know have all the door lights and central locking working properly, along with a few other minor glitches that were miraculously cured.
Check all your fuses....I don't mean just look at them, physically remove every one of them and clean the tabs with a fine brass wire brush and use a cotton bud smeared with a dab of di-electric grease to help prevent future corrosion.
All this was on a 91 Bentley Eight....so yours will be similar.

Arm yourself with a couple of cans of electronic spray cleaner/lubricant....I swear by this stuff
for all electronics.
Make sure you also check as many earthing points that you can access and physically undo them and clean them either with a brush or emery paper....you can't get a good earth on corroded metal and in your climate that is essential!

As Paul has suggested, the interior lights relay
is mounted in below glovebox area....look up the details of it's location.
These will go wonky over time and it's easier to replace but from memory they are not exactly cheap.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User

Post Number: 174
Posted on Tuesday, 17 April, 2018 - 12:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Roderick....you may find this useful.
If link doesn't work....copy and paste into your browser.

file:///F:/MY%20PIX-2/WORD%20DOCS/WORD%20DOCS/AUTOMOTIVE/BENTLEY/SZ%20BENTLEY%20EIGHT%201990/TECH%20FOLDERS/tsd5069p2.pdf

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, 17 April, 2018 - 17:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Maxwell, and thank you! The Bentley 8 seems in the '20,000 +' with a quite different layout to my Spirit (ECH 09680), but the timer relay is tucked up behind the fuse-board! Ouch! I have no intention of disturbing all that wiring, so will tackle the door switches as outlined by Paul earlier - if they're all OK, I will simply use the battery isolator every time I park. Night driving is something I avoid anyway. I am fortunate that I have no other issues - Echo runs very nicely, and my local Renault dealer is also a classic car nut, and looks after her very well ... provided I supply all the parts!

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2863
Posted on Wednesday, 18 April, 2018 - 09:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Roderick,

Here is a working link to Maxwell's TSD5069 Part 2:

http://rrtechnical.info/sz/cs/tsd5069p2.pdf

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User

Post Number: 175
Posted on Wednesday, 18 April, 2018 - 10:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for that David....makes life easier ;o))

Maxwell - service with a smile as always

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 177
Posted on Wednesday, 18 April, 2018 - 19:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello David (and Maxwell) - as I feared, the Bentley 8 hardware is nothing like my '84 Spirit! But I've had enough help here to figure out what's going on, thanks to all.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User

Post Number: 176
Posted on Wednesday, 18 April, 2018 - 21:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Roderick...it's amazing how much they look th same but are different....hopefully you will get it sorted....have you done a google search for diagrams?

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 181
Posted on Sunday, 22 April, 2018 - 16:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello David (Legget) - I did reply to your Post, but it came back undelivered, and I don't see your Post on this Forum, so don't know if you'll see this either! Yes, I still have problems, but it is intermittent - I had the boot lid open for several days charging the battery (isolator off), and when I closed it the puddle lights and warning lights suddenly worked normally - but the interior lights (above the doors) stayed on. Then yesterday, the whole lot stayed on again. So I figure to turn the isolator off every time I park ... still have to try Paul's technique for the door switches.

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 183
Posted on Monday, 21 May, 2018 - 02:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Another little update - if I open the driver's door, get in and close the door, the lights stay on. If I open the door again, and close it again, the lights go out after about 8 seconds. New routine ... it has to be the driver's door switch, but I'm leaving well alone and do the door twice thing ...

david leggett
Yet to post message
Username: fireflyer

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, 25 May, 2018 - 04:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rod, The time delay of 8 seconds is correct, When you timed the lights switch off some time ago you quoted 17 seconds I think, That is definitely too long, so looks like thwe time delay relay is the most likely culprit.

Nigel Coombe
Experienced User
Username: nigel_adelaide

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, 27 May, 2018 - 20:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul Yorke above is correct had it on a Mulsanne S.The timer relay unit beige is probably problem and is in fuse box under glove box .In meantime have to take out interior light fuse.

Roderick Waite
Prolific User

Post Number: 184
Posted on Sunday, 27 May, 2018 - 23:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Nigel et al - when it works, it all works fine. Close driver's door, puddle lights etc: go out immediately, followed 8 seconds later by the interior lights. But it doesn't always work in that the puddle lights and interior lights all stay on indefinitely, which indicates (to me) that the fault lies with the driver's door switch. So far I've not dared touch it in case I destroy all kinds of stuff ... opening the door and closing it again often works ... removing the fuse is a good idea, as I never venture out after dark anyway, but don't know what else is on the same fuse. I've yet to check ... thanks for thoughts, people, it's the only niggle I have with Echo, so things could be a whole lot worse!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: