Early 1988 Silver Spirit Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Early 1988 Silver Spirit « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2802
Posted on Saturday, 06 January, 2018 - 14:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have been asked to post the following information on behalf of Barry Parker, a new ACT member of the Forum who sold his Mercedes C350 and acquired the following Silver Spirit as he describes below in an email to Patrick Ryan:

Barry and Car

I have joined the RR Forum as you may see in my details shortly.

I am not very good at sizing pictures and I note that your daughter’s [Patrick Ryan's] photography of your car is quite professional.

I have attached a picture which Pam took with her phone camera.

We don’t know how to re-size them yet.

My 1988 Silver Spirit car detail numbers are:-

VRN: 2107780

Chassis: SCAZSO2A3JCH22161

Engine: 62043L41018

Manufactured: 01/1988 (This date would probably make my car one of the oldest Spirits around?)

Expiry Date: 22/07/2018

If you could help me out by forwarding these details to the Forum in a more acceptable format, I would appreciate it very much.

The vehicle came with original owner's manual and all service books, plus certificate covering the LPG installation.

Together with an elegantly bound, A4 folder with transparent pockets complete with records for every year since 1988.

Runs only on LPG only NOT petrol.

Very smooth almost silent,ride.

Slightly spongy brakes may require some adjustments.

Paint is pretty old though and mismatched here and there, with stone chips in the usual places.

A couple of shopping trolley dimples in a door.

Took it to my mechanic, he had a drive and shook his head. He says the car drives better than some of the new cars people buy today

Done nearly 200,000km and still has heaps of life left in it.

Not flawless, but reckon it is about 30% better than my 1970 Shadow was overall.

Went in to my mechanic’s shop last Friday for a full service check over.

The dealer gave me $1000 towards any repairs.

Still waiting for parts to arrive gasket, seals etc.

Regards, Barry Parker

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Saturday, 06 January, 2018 - 14:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Welcome to the forum Barry.
I hope your ownership of this car will be a pleasant one.
The earliest Spirits were made in 1980.
If you need any help with the car - let us know.

Omar

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 225
Posted on Wednesday, 17 January, 2018 - 20:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good car to own, has injected more powerful engine, but with improved economy AND ABS brakes as standard BUT not active ride (90MY) which in it's self is more complicated to go wrong. 88 cars well sorted, as it in reality should have been near full model development as historically new model should have been due 1990, given 10 year model cycle.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1832
Posted on Wednesday, 17 January, 2018 - 20:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Welcome Baz.
Good bunch of guys here.

Have fun.

Nigel Coombe
Experienced User
Username: nigel_adelaide

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, 28 January, 2018 - 20:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My August 88 Spirit has done 206000kms and drives like new and better than several I have had of this model and is the same colour Lagoon Blue with Magnolia trim. The Spirit series started in 1981 but the 88 is the best of the series in my opinion with EFI and no active ride. Spongy brakes I would be looking at brake hoses and then brake spheres.Cars that are driven a lot often the best.

Larry Halpert
Prolific User
Username: larry_halpert

Post Number: 182
Posted on Wednesday, 31 January, 2018 - 10:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

'89 also doesn't have active ride, and adds a few improvements.
1990 begins active ride.

Colin Salmon
New User
Username: spurfatherfigure

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, 18 April, 2018 - 01:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Spirit is '83 build, 84 delivered. Sorry about the 'Spur' in my user name. Misunderstanding with the vendor. My 8 other vehicles are mostly BMW. I do not regret the purchase at all and enjoy every moment behind the wheel.

Nigel Johnson
Prolific User
Username: nigel_johnson

Post Number: 167
Posted on Monday, 23 April, 2018 - 09:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We enjoy ACH01253. She was registered on the 3rd of December 1980. So early she has detroit couplings on the half shafts and a Shadow 2 fuel filter! Also owned for a time by the late lamented Bill McAlpine.Regards, Nigel.

Nigel Coombe
Experienced User

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, 24 June, 2018 - 21:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The 87/88/89 are the best models in the Spirit and probably the 89 or K( in Vin)model is the best with fuel injection later air conditioning but luckily no active ride.My current Spirit is late 88 and delivered and plated in Melbourne 1/89 and very happy with it.

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 476
Posted on Monday, 25 June, 2018 - 17:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Nigel
Mines an '89 and agree with you, the costs and complexity of fixing later models freigtens me.
Cheers
Mike

Tony Taylor
New User
Username: ajt

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, 25 June, 2018 - 17:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Would anyone have an opinion on the 1985 year Silver Spirit, given the later years appear more popular.
I am considering one of this year, or a 1980 Silver Shadow 2.
Less rather than more issues is the dream.
Many thanks.

Roderick Waite
Prolific User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 185
Posted on Monday, 25 June, 2018 - 18:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Tony and all (and welcome Baz) - the Silver Spirit, in my opinion, represents the epitome of elegant design. It and its derivatives (Spur and Corniche) are the best looking cars RR ever made. I have a June 1984 Spirit (ECH 09680) in Willow Gold with cream interior, and whereas I applaud the better mpg and power output of the injection cars, I love the total reliability of my twin SUs. Echo (from her chassis number) lives and breathes.

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 545
Posted on Monday, 25 June, 2018 - 19:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Tony, I have had a 1982 Spirit, a 1983 Mulasanne and I currently have a 1988 Bentley8. I have found the Fuel Injection on the later car better than the carburettors on the earlier cars both in fuel economy and in maintenance. The later cars are less prone to spark plug fouling, fuel leaks, flooding and require less maintenance. I used my cars as daily drivers and covered about 30k miles in each in the 3 to 4 years that I owned the Spirit and the Mulsanne.I have owned the 8 for 14 years and this is my wife'car.Although I have just changed the Mulsanne for a W123 Mercedes, I would certainly consider another carb Spirit in the future, or an injection one.
Mark

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User
Username: tasbent

Post Number: 208
Posted on Monday, 25 June, 2018 - 19:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree entirely with your assessment Mark.
The later EFI is far more efficient and cleaner running. Spark plugs last much longer and general
maintenance is simpler.
Some people seem to have an objection to the later
suspension system but I find it much less susceptible to problems.
As with all these cars, they don't like sitting around for lengthy periods and really enjoy a good run to keep them healthy.
No point having champagne tastes on a beer budget

Roderick Waite
Prolific User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 186
Posted on Monday, 25 June, 2018 - 21:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi guys - I think we're each happy with what we have - otherwise we wouldn't have it! I like the better mpg and power output of the EFI systems, but would defend the SUs insofar as 'maintenance' consists of a drop of oil every 3 months or so. With no costly electronics to go wrong (my experience with that on other cars has not been good!). Interestingly, the emissions test in France has an upper limit of 4.5ppm - Echo turns in a healthy 1.9ppm (A bank) and 2.2ppm (B bank). The tester says that's better than most new cars! So Tony, don't be afraid if the car of your dreams has SU carburettors ...

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Tuesday, 26 June, 2018 - 02:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have owned most of the shadow and spirit series cars of all years and they are all good. There isnt a better car as such. So dont worry if yours is a 77, 82 88 etc... they are all good. The one car that i know many people have struggled with is the early turbo model Bentleys. If you have a petrol Bentley Turbo that is earlier than 86 it falls into the category of "a bitch to maintain" (sorry Alan). Other than these cars the rest are all fantastic and each of them will have their pros and cons.

michael vass
Grand Master

Post Number: 478
Posted on Tuesday, 26 June, 2018 - 06:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar
I had a mulsanne turbo (carb) and had no trouble, so if that's the worst then no worries lol
Best wishes
Mike

Nigel Coombe
Experienced User

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, 14 September, 2018 - 20:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi A guy emailed me and asked for the sizes of the belts for the later EFI Spirits that is 87 on and thought would just put the Bosch numbers here for everyone. Fan belt 11A1270 Pair P/S 11A1130 Air Cond 11A1395 handy if you want to carry a spare set.They may also fit earlier Spirits but air cond one different as they have black Frigidaire Compressor.My car still driving perfectly love 88/89 ones .

michael vass
Grand Master

Post Number: 498
Posted on Friday, 14 September, 2018 - 20:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi just read on another forum that someone fitted an aftermarket injection system to a mulsanne turbo and works great ,don't know the manufacturer but from us and agent in UK
Mike

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: