Spirit Tyres Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Spirit Tyres « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nigel Coombe
New User
Username: nigel_adelaide

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, 21 November, 2017 - 20:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I need new tyres for my 1988 Spirit they are currently 235/70/15 Silverstone but are slightly difficult size to get.Tyre places have suggested 225/75/15 and 235/75/15 which are easy to get, cheaper and come with white walls which I would prefer.We never do speed higher than 110kmh. The 225 would be slightly narrow but doesn't matter and slightly higher profile OK for clearance if doesn't touch inner guards.Would appreciate advice if these different sizes work.
Nigel

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1954
Posted on Tuesday, 21 November, 2017 - 22:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Without sounding funny. Perhaps it would be better to leave the existing pads and tyres on it.

Then buy a car that you can find parts for where you are.

You are doing the car and yourself no favours by cutting corners and you will eventually end up with a Frankenstein with little value.

It's one thing to use a spurious part in an emergency but there should be plenty of time to find tyres and pads.

On the plus side here in the UK. . Avon have made another batch of 235 70 15 white walls at last.

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 399
Posted on Wednesday, 22 November, 2017 - 02:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Nigel

What does tyres the handbook say should be on?
I would fit pads of any reputable make, as long as no modification is needed, see the , have a look here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B61gLtsXt4oqZmQ2NmY5MDgtYWUxYy00ZGFlLWFhYTUtZTY2NDc0OGNlNzE1/view

they are all made to do the same job ,turn friction to heat. Hope your weather is nice there!

Mike

Nigel Coombe
Experienced User

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, 22 November, 2017 - 18:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Over the past 50 years we have had many Rolls Royce and Bentley cars in Adelaide and those that have come with Avon tyres there have been problems in balancing and weak side walls .Mike the handbook says 235/70/15 which of course is correct and best size. My father who always drove a Rolls use to like Kuhmo and a 88 Spur I bought in the UK in 2011 had Hercules tyres fitted which I were very impressed with and had Toyo on my Turbo R and were fine.
On Brake Pads see my reply on Bendix/Mintex DB625 size which were originally recommended by a RR mechanic from Henley of Chester.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User
Username: tasbent

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, 22 November, 2017 - 19:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here's some choices for you:

https://www.tyresales.com.au/buy/tyre/goodride/su317_all-terrain/235-75r15/119764?q=undefined

https://www.tyresales.com.au/tyre/size/235-70r15

michael vass
Grand Master

Post Number: 401
Posted on Wednesday, 22 November, 2017 - 22:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Nigel
I like kuhmo and toyo , and like your father I'm not a fan of Avon for the same reasons.
I think the only reason for choosing Avons is for originality.
Mike

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2514
Posted on Thursday, 23 November, 2017 - 04:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've loved my Kumhos, Hankooks, and Toyos.

Be aware that all tire sizes, as advertised, are nominal tire sizes and actual size can vary within a narrow range. If you are concerned that a 235/75R15 might be problematic on your SZ then definitely look up the actual size of the current set of 235/70R15s at their manufacturer's website and then do the same for any 235/75R15s you're considering. There is more variance than one might expect; there was certainly more than I expected.

There is no problem at all with 235/75R15 on the SY2 cars, but some SY1s and SZs will have the tires rub at the extremes of turning (which none of us do often, however).

I can't imagine that a 225/75R15 could be problematic in any way.

I have never had a car with Avons, but on every RR forum on which I've participated people have complained about the same issues with Avon tires. On this very forum, long, long ago, Richard Treacy posted a "history of how Avons came to be the tire selected by Crewe," and it was, in the largest part, because Michelin would not agree to the very, very low pressures that Crewe wanted to recommend (and ended up recommending) for the SY series cars. I believe the original post was on the RROC-US forums, but I quoted it verbatim here.

Brian

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, 23 November, 2017 - 11:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Probably the most important measurement is rolling diameter...which in most cases will effect speedometer accuracy.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, 23 November, 2017 - 12:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Cars exported to US markets have always had two different sets of tyre pressure specs.
One for US markets were always 'softer' than the ROW settings so that buyers could have the good ol' 'slush' feel

Nigel Coombe
Experienced User

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, 24 November, 2017 - 19:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well today my local tyre guy in Magill Adelaide sold me a set of Galaxy R1 the correct size 235/70/15 for my Spirit and correct weight rating plus nice white walls I like.When he measured clearance he said the 75 profile may give trouble on tight turns and would only sell me the correct tyre size by the book even though $20 dollars more each.He told me he had fitted them to another 85 Bentley and customer was happy. Have only driven 50 kms but they are very quiet and drive nicely and look smart and cost $135 each.
Tyre guy warned don't drive on old tyres like I had on my car and this is a warning we have given in the club many times. We will see how they last.
Cheers and thanks for suggestions.
Nigel

Roderick Waite
Prolific User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 170
Posted on Friday, 24 November, 2017 - 19:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello all - been following this with interest - my '84 Spirit has had the same tyres on for 9 years, still legal (low mileage) but starting to crack around the sidewall. I've tracked down an on-line source for Avon Turbosteels with white sidewalls (235/70/R15), but €245 each ... Galaxy sound better but are they available in France? Can't find any ...

Nigel Coombe
Experienced User

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, 24 November, 2017 - 20:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rod mine still had 60% tread but were at least 12 years old according to tyre man and one cracked in the side wall and went flat luckily in my garage which spurred me to change them. My spare was an Avon and could have been original with car in 1988 Galaxy maybe American so possibly in France but there are others brands but getting white wall tricky and Avon so expensive.

michael vass
Grand Master

Post Number: 406
Posted on Saturday, 25 November, 2017 - 03:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rod
Is it important to have white walls?
I have found galaxy for £117 here, and avon for £133
Mike

Roderick Waite
Prolific User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 171
Posted on Saturday, 25 November, 2017 - 03:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Nigel and Mike - not found Galaxy in France yet - my supplier is 'Pneus-online' and they don't offer them either. The white walls (narrow band) suit the car very well, so want to keep them. The cracks are minor, no hint of developing flats so far, so I'll run on until the CT Inspector tells me I must change them (next May) - but no high speed stuff! Gentle shopping trips ...

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 478
Posted on Saturday, 25 November, 2017 - 04:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rod, I use Hercules, but see link . I do not know whether they export, but I have always had good service. I have given up with Avons other than on my Shadow, where I want originality.

http://www.northhantstyres.com/radial-tyre-search/235-70-15.html

Mark

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2735
Posted on Saturday, 25 November, 2017 - 07:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Most if not all tyres are coded with the date they were manufactured plus other relevant information.

Experience has shown tyres more than 6 years old are more prone to failure and the rate of failure increases as the tyre ages further.

The following guide shows you how to determine the year your tyres were manufactured:

Decode

Nigel Coombe
Experienced User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, 25 November, 2017 - 20:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David that is very informative.In Adelaide tyre places are not allowed to fit tyres over 5 years old and in Japan 2 years .Like white walls look correct and my Galaxy 235/70/15 were $135AUD fitted and balanced so about 75 pounds each a bit cheaper than UK but perhaps we have more bigger cars taking these sizes and very happy.

Brian Crump
Prolific User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 167
Posted on Monday, 27 November, 2017 - 06:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am currently using Maxxis P225/75/15 on my Spirit II as there was a 6 months delay in buying Avons.

I worked out at the time of purchase that the rolling diameter was very close (although I have forgotten the figures.) The satellite navigation shows an error or about 2 kph at 100 kph so that is OK. I run them at 35 psi all round as I did the previous Avons and the only difference I can pick is that the Maxxis might be slightly noisier on coarse bitumen.

The Maxxis are readily available.

Regards,
Brian

michael vass
Grand Master

Post Number: 409
Posted on Tuesday, 28 November, 2017 - 00:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hi all
Or you could buy my set of turbo r alloys and tyres!
don't know about posting to aus though lol
Cheers
mike

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: