A couple of questions... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » A couple of questions... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Towers
Prolific User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 182
Posted on Saturday, 07 October, 2017 - 20:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, it's me again, 'worry wart Larry!'. Since its recent service, my damn bonnet won't stay open, feels far too loose and the slightest incline or breeze has it closing. Before, it opened, stayed and closed perfectly as far as I was concerned. Is there an adjustment or have the springs gone weak?

Secondly, where can you get the 'fix' for the 'Low Mineral oil' warning when accelerating quickly uphill? I believe it was a resistor and should have been fitted under service conditions but mine obviously hasn't. I did just check the levels (what a bore with having to remove covers for this and the one on the transmission before taking a few seconds to actually do what you wanted to do, then spending another 5 minutes putting the covers back on!) and they are both to the very top. I know it's not a problem, but getting a warning 'beep' and message every time you accelerate is annoying.

Obviously, the answer is: do not accelerate hard and leave the bonnet to the professionals only :-)
I was just quite embarrassed as I was checking all the fluids (paranoid is my middle name) even though it was just serviced and I was using my walking stick to stop the bonnet from denting my bonce!

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1880
Posted on Saturday, 07 October, 2017 - 21:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Larry,

I suspect the springs are weak. Possibly in the service they sprayed the hinges with grease so there is no longer enough friction to compensate for the weak springs. :/

Some used springs usually fixes it.

ATF, usually you can sneak the dipstick out without removing the cover.

Mineral level beeps - yes incredibly annoying :-(

But easy to fix :-)

We keep the mineral light delay units in stock. £76 . Use one unit for both switches.

David Towers
Prolific User

Post Number: 183
Posted on Sunday, 08 October, 2017 - 00:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Paul, is that plus VAT? Oh, and is it diyable for a cripple or does it require scurrying under scuttles and such?

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Sunday, 08 October, 2017 - 09:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Plus vat and carriage. I'm afraid.

Yes it's an easy job.

Take the dreaded cover off.

Take the warning cover off the reservoirs.

Locate the warning light switch wires and cut into them.

Happy days :-)

David Towers
Prolific User

Post Number: 185
Posted on Sunday, 08 October, 2017 - 20:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you. How do I contact you to acquire this unit?

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 376
Posted on Monday, 09 October, 2017 - 01:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul
My lights flicker on under acceleration but no buzzer, should it. Buzz? Should it flicker on an 89 turbo if the fluid levels are OK?
Cheers
Mike

michael vass
Grand Master

Post Number: 377
Posted on Monday, 09 October, 2017 - 01:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just found my own answer see http://www.rollsroyceforums.com/forums/27-sz-motorcars-1980-2003/14121-brake-warning-acceleration.html

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1887
Posted on Monday, 09 October, 2017 - 07:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul at EverythingRollsRoyce dot com is easiest David :-)

or phone, but if I'm stuck under a car and can't answer - leave a message :-) 079 4442 4441

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1888
Posted on Monday, 09 October, 2017 - 07:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No Annoying beep for you Michael :-)

It should not flicker if full. It's the same reservoir and fault, but only cars with the DIP units have the annoying beep to go with it!

michael vass
Grand Master

Post Number: 378
Posted on Monday, 09 October, 2017 - 19:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul
Might seem a daft question, but when should you top up , when the system is pressurised or not?, a s friend of mine overfilled his by topping up when pressurised.
Ta
Mike

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1897
Posted on Monday, 09 October, 2017 - 19:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes when pressurised, but if you have a sinky rear end it can sometimes overflow after being left a while.

Also trying to fill it up so it stops beeping / flashing will not work work because it will just loose it again. It will just be a Refill and repeat situation ! :-(

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: