Cruise Control Inoperative Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Cruise Control Inoperative « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rowland Palmer
Experienced User
Username: rowland

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, 28 September, 2017 - 19:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I recently carried out the modification that Paul Yorke gave to release the hand/foot brake, you remove the Rat Trap and run a wire up to the release mechanism from the live when the brake is applied side of the brake switch, no problem there. I took the car out today and now I have no cruise control?? I had pulled up the carpet to make it easier to get at the hand brake mechanism. Any clues would be a help

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 207
Posted on Saturday, 30 September, 2017 - 00:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Seem to remember another "secret" recall to only allow cruise to operate in top gear. That is, if second set of contacts in brake switch failed on applying brake the car would not mistake for a hill and start accelerating (have actually experienced this). The idea was by moving selector into 3rd/intermediate, this would cut out cruise. Is your issue something to do with this or have second set contacts become dislodged in brake switch. Afraid I think you need to take off rat trap and do continuity test across switch contacts ( brake and cruise) Can't remember Vins, sorry to be vague but hope it helps (a bit)

Rowland Palmer
Experienced User

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, 30 September, 2017 - 16:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Gordon. Had a feeling that that might be the problem. Back to the drawing board

Rowland Palmer
Experienced User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, 30 September, 2017 - 18:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I removed the Rat Trap and checked the continuity I have live(12V) on two contacts and the third has 12V when I apply the foot brake. Without a wiring diagram it is rather hard to know if this is correct or if the switch has gone open circuit. Any help would be appreciated. The brake switch is fine 12v with ign on one side and when the brake is applied 12v to the other

Nigel Stubbs Coombe
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, 13 October, 2017 - 20:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The most common reason the Spirit cruise does not work is a fault in the ECU module under the dash and mine is currently not operational.In the UK there is a testing unit but no access in Adelaide. where the national rally will be held in 2018.The only positive rumour I have heard is the the VDO module from a VT Commodore cruise is the same. Look forward to suggestions on the cruise as dont want to pay the large amount for the ECU when not 100% it is problem .

(Message approved by david_gore)

Rowland Palmer
Experienced User

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, 16 October, 2017 - 11:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for that information Nigel. I had the Module repaired last year by the Dealer in Melbourne before I brought the car. As I said this has only happened since I was playing with the brake switch. But of course this means nothing with a RR and could well be the module again. I will check out the VT Commodore and see what I come up with.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: