1990 Bentley Eight seat modules Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » 1990 Bentley Eight seat modules « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Maxwell Heazlewood
Yet to post message
Username: tasbent

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, 27 September, 2017 - 23:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen....what is the best way to remove the drivers memory seat module....I want to replace the battery....any advice gracefully accepted. ;o))

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 368
Posted on Thursday, 28 September, 2017 - 02:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Max
Remove the seat squab , unplug the connections, turn the black plastic screw thing 1/2 a turn then remove ok
mike

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1862
Posted on Thursday, 28 September, 2017 - 02:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The seat base is held down at the front by a strong rubber strap with a metal claw on it.

Careful the claw does like flesh! It is usually easier and safer to undo the strap at the rear fixing point / bar at the back of the seat. From the rear foot well reach up and unhook it.

If you are dextrous you can then lift and prop up the front of the seat base and do it like that.

If you need more space, there are screws at the bottom of the sides of the seat back. Remove them and ease the seat back to the rear (or lift it up and off) to expose 2 more screws.

Have fun :D

Maxwell Heazlewood
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, 28 September, 2017 - 10:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good morning Michael and Paul....thanks for your replies.
We have been playing around with a 1990 Bentley Eight eng. No. 34000's and are up to our armpits in window regulator rectification among other things ;o))
We have found that the after removing the motor that
the black plastic coupling has sheared so, it entailed removing the gearbox and lo and behold the skanky old grease had dried into a hardened sticky goo....I don't know what sort of cheap muck they laid their hands on at the time ;o)=)
This car has only covered 34,000klm and is a Japanese import.
we have successfully lifted seat squab up and propped it above the steering wheel conveniently.
Now....Michael....this 'black thingie'you mention....please explain a little more ;o)
I'm assuming that the module slides out forwards?

Maxwell Heazlewood
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, 28 September, 2017 - 11:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

....>>>> Careful the claw does like flesh! It is usually easier and safer to undo the strap at the rear fixing point / bar at the back of the seat. From the rear foot well reach up and unhook it.

If you are dexterous you can then lift and prop up the front of the seat base and do it like that.

If you need more space, there are screws at the bottom of the sides of the seat back. Remove them and ease the seat back to the rear (or lift it up and off) to expose 2 more screws.

Have fun :D.....>>>>

Thanks for the advice Paul but the strap and those viscous looking claws had already been attended to ;o))....now it's removal of the module to replace that pesky little battery....hopefully before it leaks all over the PCB!
We'll fit a later N-Mh battery.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1863
Posted on Thursday, 28 September, 2017 - 16:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Ecu is held at the rear by a 1/4 turn fixing. Locate the rear most part of the case and it should become clear.

Turn the plastic 'butterfly" the rear of the box will drop slightly.

Move the box rearward to unclip the front tongue on the box and that should then drop enough to slide it our forwards. You may have to lift the whole motor set up to get a little more height.

Write the date on the front of the ecu so it is visible by looking under the front of the seat once fitted.

Have fun.

Maxwell Heazlewood
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, 28 September, 2017 - 16:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul....thatnks very much for the clear and concise instructions ;o))
We shall venture forth into the bowels of a Bentley seat....thanks for the date tip ;o))

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 208
Posted on Saturday, 30 September, 2017 - 00:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Out of interest, cars prior to 1990MY (30,000) the wiring for seats can be modified to do away with seat module as these cars -memory and non memory shared the same loom. There would not then be seat memory, but at least the electric seat movement would be restored. Unfortunately, post 90 MY this is not possible as it was fitted to all cars as standard and the loom was modified to reflect this.

michael vass
Grand Master

Post Number: 369
Posted on Saturday, 30 September, 2017 - 03:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Max , sorry for the brief instruction earlier, when you have the box open (little screws) its actually the bottom that comes off.clean the PCB and check for broken tracks, then unsolder the battery , and my advice is fit an external battery OK
Mike

Maxwell Heazlewood
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, 01 October, 2017 - 12:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the replies chaps....all duly noted.
It will be a couple of weeks before we get to the seat situation....we have the windows to attend to first and replacement of all the door speakers which
have disintegrated....which is strange for a car that has only 34,000klm.

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, 04 October, 2017 - 03:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Max, as with all RR/B motorcars, time is just as detrimental as miles.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Experienced User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, 04 October, 2017 - 12:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes, exactly Mark....but I still consider that cost
corners have been cut in the selection of these
speakers. My 1998 Jaguar XJ8 has covered 215,000klm
in the 11 years i have owned it and the original 6.5" Phillips speakers are as good as the day they were installed. I have recently upgraded them with Polk Audio DBS650 units and the difference in sound quality is like chalk and cheese

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, 04 October, 2017 - 22:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Max, you are correct, the speakers are of the cheap variety. They deteriorate too fast and only sound so so. Hard to understand on a $200,000 car.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Experienced User

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, 04 October, 2017 - 22:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Frankly Mark....it's not the first time I have come across this....one would think that given RR/B interiors are renowned for their quality that premium sound woul;d be a given....not so apparently.

michael vass
Grand Master

Post Number: 374
Posted on Wednesday, 04 October, 2017 - 23:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Max I agree, those audio options were £000's in 1988.
Mike

Maxwell Heazlewood
Experienced User

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, 06 October, 2017 - 17:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Chaps....just an update on the window regulator box and speakers....we're still waiting for both so in the meantime I have inspected and cleaned up and re-lubricated the gearbox mechanism....which already has responded remarkably to how it was before.
The tackiness of the old lube was such it was acting like a brake and causing drag on the motor which I suspect helped to shear the black plastic connector.
Anyway, I used CRC Teflon reinforced spray lube to get right into the worm drive bearings and then half filled the box cavity with water pump grease which will not go hard.

We have ordered new full range two way 5.25" speakers from Rockford Fosgate which seem like a lovely little speaker....certainly 10 times better than the original....will certainly be interesting to listen to some good John Mayall and some Vivaldi to gain comparisons of the performance of these speakers which will also be fitted with DEI Boom Mat cups which surround the speaker like little boxes...they not only protect the driver but improve sound output as well ;o))

Maxwell Heazlewood
Experienced User

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, 06 October, 2017 - 17:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

popjpeg{28856

Maxwell Heazlewood
Experienced User

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, 06 October, 2017 - 17:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK....what's going on here....have tried twice to upload a couple of jpegs and nout

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2680
Posted on Friday, 06 October, 2017 - 20:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Maxwell,

The following threads should help:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/30/18341.html

http://au.rrforums.net/cgi-bin/forum/discus.pl?pg=formatting#images

Hope this helps................

Maxwell Heazlewood
Experienced User

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, 06 October, 2017 - 20:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And this is what greeted us in the sound department....or lack of it. The speaker cone surround was non existant!

Maxwell Heazlewood
Experienced User

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, 06 October, 2017 - 20:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David....I think I've got a handle on it now ;o))

Maxwell Heazlewood
Experienced User

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, 11 October, 2017 - 23:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just an update....we ae still waiting for parts to arrive from FS....so, no action yet but when they do, it will be full on with four doors taken apart and the drivers seat.
We've got some work ahead of us

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: