Expansion bottle expanding. Turbo R Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Expansion bottle expanding. Turbo R « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David A Laughton
New User
Username: dandpl

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, 21 September, 2017 - 22:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all
1990 Turbo R
What would cause the expansion bottle to expand and split.

I will replace but would like to know the reason it failed. Many thanks.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1859
Posted on Thursday, 21 September, 2017 - 23:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Continual expansion and contraction. Hopefully.

The radiator cap not releasing at normal working pressure. Not bad.

Head gasket or severe over heating. Please no.

Good luck. :-)

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Friday, 22 September, 2017 - 01:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Blocked radiator inside or out, coolant air leak in system, pump, hoses, valves etc.
Fans not working high low.
Failing thermostat, before the event did the coolant need frequent topping up.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Friday, 22 September, 2017 - 03:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

All the above reasons are valid. Paul and Patrick are smack on.
I have at least 6 of these poorly built tanks sitting around at home from previous cars..... all of them split. Some of these tanks do split with time anyway.

David A Laughton
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, 22 September, 2017 - 05:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi
Thanks everybody.

It had no leaks and then developed a leak from what appeared to be the expansion bottle. I tightend up connections and all appeared well following the procedures in the manual for bleeding system, although no fluid seemed to flow from radiator stub. 2 litres seemed to be enough. I ran the car for 20 minutes with no leaks Now after a 45 minute run at 60-80mph it has expanded and burst. No indication it was getting hot. Was it my bleed schedule that was at fault? Many thanks

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1860
Posted on Friday, 22 September, 2017 - 05:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not on it's own. The rad cap will release excess pressure at 15psi so it should cope.

You must fill the system completely.

Some simple tricks are:

Use a large funnel that fits tightly into the expansion tank neck so it can be higher than the vent on the radiator. Add all the antifreeze first then Over fill with water until water comes out of the vent. You can leave the funnel in and start the car and put defrost on. Allow it to heat up, rev it etc. Then switch off and let it cool down.

When cold you can remove the vent screw, squeeze the top hose and then put your finger over the vent, release the top hose so it sucks water from the tank. Repeat until water comes out of the vent.

Loosen the vent. Clean off the expansion tank neck. Remove the overflow hose and put a short hose on to the tank. Block the neck with your hand and breath into the short hose. Not hard but constant. Eventually water will come out of the vent,

David A Laughton
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, 23 September, 2017 - 20:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul Yorke

Thank you so much for that information. Just what I needed.

Kind regards

david

Nigel Coombe
New User
Username: nigel_adelaide

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, 27 October, 2017 - 20:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not uncommon for the expansion tank to crack it is just heating and cooling and plastic tank cracks and nothing wrong with car.

Had a Mulsanne S that did this put another tank all fine still got old tank here saved for cap and low level sensor.

Also now have a 89 Spirit and I can see it has a new expansion tank so common fault. A friend in aircraft said he had special tape that would fix it.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1704
Posted on Friday, 26 October, 2018 - 01:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1705
Posted on Friday, 26 October, 2018 - 01:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1706
Posted on Friday, 26 October, 2018 - 01:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had those made for me for US$ 200 each

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 2076
Posted on Friday, 26 October, 2018 - 01:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nice Omar. :D

You can also get weld in spy holes with a glass so you can visually check the level.

Nice touch for reassurance when hot.

They will out last the car :-)

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 226
Posted on Friday, 26 October, 2018 - 01:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

WOW! Now those look nice.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Saturday, 27 October, 2018 - 19:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar great workmanship do you think that one of them could fit in your bag when you come to Birmingham N E C, A bit like those fans that you bought at the auto jumble at Beaulieu auto jumble, that was a good laugh, see you soon.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1708
Posted on Saturday, 27 October, 2018 - 22:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

yes mate.
One can certainly fit in my case for you.
see you in Brum.....

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: