Distributor Drive Belt Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Distributor Drive Belt « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Trevor pickering
Experienced User
Username: commander1

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, 16 August, 2017 - 21:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello
I have just replaced the drive belt on the distributors on my 1990 Spur 11.
What a PITA!!!!
Also replaced the 3 bearings as one had started to seize and spin in the housing!
Fitted new SKF bearings and a new belt
Virtually a full days work for me.
Why not just a single distributor as on my Silver Cloud?
Have Fun

Trevor Pickering

Mark Luft
Frequent User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, 17 August, 2017 - 03:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I asked that same question, as well as can I replace the dual dizzy with an older model. Consensus was "just leave the original one in place". That belt was designed to keep the service dept. making money.

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 351
Posted on Thursday, 17 August, 2017 - 20:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Trevor
Yes fiddly job.
I think they went to the 2 dizzy system as nobody made a 8 port dizzy anymore, the same is used on other cars like porsche etc
Mike

Darryl Watson
Experienced User
Username: inox

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, 19 August, 2017 - 04:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Trevor,
Two Dizzies = get you home.
I had a problem with our Mulsanne S a few years ago - would run on 4 then 8 then 4 cyls as it felt fit. On a dual carriage way at 70 mph it ran OK (most of the time)
(0 to 30mph in 3 days on 4 cyls then it would fire on 8 - oops there's a car in front - entertaining). Road junctions were exciting as well.
One of the ignition amplifiers was faulty.
Single coil / dizzy - stranded. Two coils / dizzies = got us home (200 miles)
Worth a bit of hassle when changing the belt every 30,000 miles me thinks but then I didn’t have the hassle you had.
Regards
Darryl

Trevor pickering
Experienced User

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, 19 August, 2017 - 22:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Darryl
Yes I am pleased I will not have to do this job again for quite a while and as you say its handy to have a "get you home" back up.
I am just about to start replacing all the steel fuel line with copper which should be fun!!!

regards

Trevor

michael vass
Grand Master

Post Number: 353
Posted on Sunday, 20 August, 2017 - 02:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Trevor
Screwfix sell 8mm copper pipe 10m for £1.99, they also sell usefull 8mm fittings.
See my other post about 5 min job.
Mike

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 199
Posted on Sunday, 20 August, 2017 - 16:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The drive belt was originally meant to be a "for life item" till they started to fail, then Crewe took a view and amended this to 10 years I think!
Bit like the battery in seat memory.

Trevor pickering
Experienced User

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, 20 August, 2017 - 18:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Mike

I am considering using 8mm plastic coated Yorkshire pipe for my fuel system as the plastic covering protects against abrasion and stone damage.
Most 8mm copper tube has a wall thickness of only .6 mm.
This is available for around £25 for a 10m roll.

Trevor

Darryl Watson
Experienced User
Username: inox

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, 20 August, 2017 - 23:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,
My service manual advises changing the drive belt every 36,000 mls (48,000Kms) or every 36 months

Regards

Darryl

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1838
Posted on Tuesday, 22 August, 2017 - 18:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The belts do seem to last much much longer than the suggested periods. There seemed to be a spell of broken belts and I wondered if there was an iffy batch. Many cars are still running on their original belts.

Distributors without points are a double edged sword. No need to open them up to change the points - so they don't get opened up to be lubricated - so the bearings go or the bob weights seize. Both much bigger jobs than changing the points. Lube yours soon.

Driving without all 8 cylinders firing is bad news. From petrol wash removing lubricant from the cylinder walls and diluting the engine oil, and also from cooking your cats . . . which is never good in any scenario. :-)

I've never seen plain copper tubing wearing through, but plastic covered would not be a bad idea.

michael vass
Grand Master

Post Number: 357
Posted on Tuesday, 22 August, 2017 - 19:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry typo
Screwfix piping 8mmx10m is £16.99
Mike

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: