1984 Spirit aircon Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » 1984 Spirit aircon « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roderick Waite
Prolific User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 166
Posted on Sunday, 13 August, 2017 - 17:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello - hoping for advice on possible causes - my aircon has worked fine for over a year since I had a new compressor fitted to ECH 09680 (Echo), and it was fine on the outward journey yesterday. But on the return journey it wouldn't work at all. I checked the fuse, and changed it for a new one anyway. With the engine idling, turning the aircon on produces a definite 'Tock' sound, but the engine note does not change, so it seems the compressor is not running. Switching it off produces the same 'Tock' sound. Also when switched on there is no sound of the baffles adjusting, nor fans running - no draught from the vents at all. I don't see how an electric clutch can fail, so has anyone any idea what the problem might be, please?

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 787
Posted on Sunday, 13 August, 2017 - 19:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Roderick I would try another fuse again and make sure the fuse has a good connection.

Richard.

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 349
Posted on Sunday, 13 August, 2017 - 21:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bonjour rod
When you switch on the aircon and you get the thunk, does the front of the compressor start spinning?
If it spins and continues to spin there is nothing wrong with the clutch or the ammount of gas ok
Mike

Roderick Waite
Prolific User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 167
Posted on Sunday, 13 August, 2017 - 22:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello guys, I did what you said Richard, and put my meter across the fuse to be sure, and it shows a continuous path, so that's OK. I've just been down to start her up again, as I couldn't swear the compressor wasn't running Mike, and sure enough it is running. That is, the flange just in front of the pulleys isn't moving when switched off, but is moving when switched on. So the clutch must be good (and the gas OK). Here's the weird bit - got back into the car - and the vents are blowing lovely streams of cold air! I have the dials turned all the way to the left to show solid blue, but they were there yesterday too. The 'Tock' is still there when I switch on (and off), but I don't hear the engine note change when the compressor starts. I'll leave it for a couple of hours, then try it again in case it's one of those 'intermittent' things ...

Incidentally, I usually run with the aircon switched off, only switching to 'Low' when I need to, but is this the best thing to do? Would it be best left on 'Auto' instead? Presumably it senses when it needs to be working or not, so doesn't use petrol unnecessarily? What do others do?

Thanks! Cross fingers ...

Rod
Spirit '84

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 788
Posted on Monday, 14 August, 2017 - 04:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Keep on trucking Rodney.

Richard.

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 350
Posted on Monday, 14 August, 2017 - 18:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rod
I think it's a good idea to run the A/C once a week to circulate the oil.
I don't know if the compressor cycles when needed or runs all the time, I would like to know too.
Cheers
Mike

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: