Spur II Parking Brake Release Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Spur II Parking Brake Release « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Trevor pickering
Experienced User
Username: commander1

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, 03 August, 2017 - 20:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello from the UK

I recently purchased a 1990 Silver Spur 11 and the auto release on the Foot operated parking brake is not working.
Could anyone tell me where the relays that control this are located please?

many thanks

Trevor Pickering

Trevor pickering
Experienced User

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, 07 August, 2017 - 01:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gday fellow junkies.

Just spent several hours removing the parking foot brake and have found the cause of the problem!
Tested the motor and it did noting other than "click" so I cut open the motor housing(factory sealed)and found that the small return spring inside the small plastic gear was doing noting as it had broken off from its peg on the gear shaft and the motor was jammed.

These actuators are very cheap and nasty and the gears are plastic apart from the small one on the motor shaft.

I am going to try a repair as a new unit is around £240 but I do NOT want to put it back on the car if its going to break again soon as it is a major
headache working in the foot well

Trevor Pickering

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1832
Posted on Monday, 07 August, 2017 - 01:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If it makes you feel any better... they are one of the most dumb ideas anyway. Well imo anyway.

Who uses the parking brake on their RR anywy?

About the only time I use it is when I leave the car running and nobody is at the wheel.

Adjusting or listening to things under the bonnet. Cleaning. Warming it up in the winter. Cooling it in the summer etc. Maybe you've left a friend in there whilst you pop into the shop.

So you put it park. You put the parking brake on. Perfectly safe.

Until you lean in to switch it off. Turn the wipers on. Grab your phone off the dash. Or perhaps your passenger isn't so patient and wants to play with your knobs and buttons.

Gear stick gets knocked accidentally.

Don't panic. . . The handbrake is on.

Whoops . . . No it isn't. That clever contraption has kindly released it for you.

Yon now need a new front grille. A garage wall. Probably a drivers door because it most likely was put into reverse and got ripped off during the process of trying to crush you while you try in vain to slow down a 2.5t vehicle and then try and open the door to jump in.

Sooooo
A. don't fret too much.
B. Many cars have them disconnected.
C. Rewire so it operated off the brake light feed.
D. I may have a used one around here somewhere.

Trevor pickering
Experienced User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, 07 August, 2017 - 02:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul
I would be interested in a S/H one if available
How do I contact you?
all the best

Trevor

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 341
Posted on Monday, 07 August, 2017 - 02:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Trevor
I'm sure these are the same as some central locking actuators.
but I totaly agree with Paul. Bin it and realease it manualy, I know my old Bentley ran off without me!
I was lucky a high kerb and soft trees stopped mine, fortunatly without damage to my car or me or anyone else (the tree is still growing at 30 degrees lol}
I had the engine running leaned in through the open windows to do something and off it went like a rocket!( with me running after it!) funny now but could have been fatal!
Bin it , and anyone else bin it!stupid idea!
I then modified my car so the foot brake had to be on to move ot out of park.
mike

Trevor pickering
Experienced User

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, 07 August, 2017 - 02:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Mike and Paul
I do not want to do away with the system but I think its a great idea to wire to the stop lights,MUCH safer

ATB

Trevor

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 342
Posted on Monday, 07 August, 2017 - 17:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi again,

Thinking about I think it was a Vectra tailgate release OK like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-VECTRA-B-FACELIFT-TAILGATE-CENTRAL-LOCKING-ACTUATOR-MOTOR-99-02-/322603935849?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

Mike

Rowland Palmer
Experienced User
Username: rowland

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, 09 August, 2017 - 13:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

How do you wire up the hand brake / foot brake to the brake light switch as mentioned in Trevor Pickering's post. Any info would be well received

Thanks

Trevor pickering
Experienced User

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, 09 August, 2017 - 17:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would also like to know how to wire it up to the stop light system
I have just bought a Vauxhall Vectra tail gate release on E Bay (£10) and will fit that.
Thanks Michael !!

Thanks

Trevor

Trevor pickering
Experienced User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, 09 August, 2017 - 17:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Parts Car

I have just bought a 1988 Silver Spirit as a parts donor.
It is a complete basket case but the engine runs well.
Should be fun and educational pulling the car apart.

Trevor Pickering

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: