When does the bleeding end? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » When does the bleeding end? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Gottlieb
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.7.184.135
Posted on Friday, 01 April, 2005 - 15:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi there -

Just wanted to get a sense from long term owners what it really costs to own and maintain a Silver Spirit / Mulsanne over several years. Why? Well, here is my story.

Last year, my father in Chicago decided that he was done with his 1986 Bentley Mulsanne because he was in Florida and the car just sat in Chicago, very rarely driven.

He offered the car to me and I bought it from him thinking it would need some work and I was prepared to take it on, knowing that it would cost quite a bit to get running given that it was an 1986 with 36k miles and he had done little in the way of service.

I had the car shipped to San Diego, found a reputable independent mechanic who used to work at Symbolic Motors and went to town.

Word on the mechanic. He has a little shop and his bread and butter is Toyota, Fords, Chevys, and the like. However, there is always a RR in his back bay and he does service for all the local RR owners who do not want to pay dealer prices. I mention this because if you do not have an honest and properly trained mechanic, they will take you for a ride and do more harm than good.

Right off the bat, I spent $8k to do everything that needed to be done. I know how much damage you can do to a car that has sat for years without proper service so I attempted to fix everything to do justice to this car.

New A/C, recore radiator, replaced all filters and fluids, all belts and hoses that were in need of repair, new brake sphere seals, spark plugs, thermostat, reseal front brake pump, new hard line seals, new compliance mounts, fan clutch, valve cover gasket, timing case cover gasket.

Got the car, it ran great for about 6 months. And then the problems started. It seems that every week or two, something is going south on the car and it is depressing because I love it so.

Since I did the first round of service, I have had the following issues:

brake pads and rotors (to be expected of course)
rebuilt alternator
coolant level sensor
door light micro switch
New rear shocks (shocks alone were $1k!!)
Rebuit rear height valve
New return hoses and O ring kit
All new relays
New fuel pump (old one was buzzing loud)
Various olive seals
Replace wiper arm

Now, just last week, I had to replace the steering rack. I understand that they leak but it cost me $3600 to replace!

Picked up the car last week. It started leaking oil. Brought it in today and it looks like it needs a new main seal.

So I am perplexed. I am not wealthy, but I do love the car. All emotion aside, I would hope that the car should run for some period of time without having a problem.

I am at the point now where I am asking the mechanic, what's left?
Here are the stats:

I have had the car for 8 months and it has cost me over $20k to keep it on the road including the original hit to get it roadworthy. It had 35,400 miles on it when I received it. It has 41,000 miles on it now.

The car is cosmetically perfect. It had lamb seatcovers on it from the day it was brought home so when I took them off, the leather looked like new. Paint is perfect. Has new tires. I mean, the car is a real looker.

However, it does not seem terribly practical dumping thousands of dollars into a car every few months that is worth $30k.

Again, being logical, the car is a 1986 and ANY car from 1986 is going to start having issues in 2006.

Also, the lack of maintainence meant that I had to play catch up on what should have been done to the car. Don't get me wrong. Oil had been changed regularly on the car. It had a new battery, new brake spheres, and a 30k mile service done at a RR dealer in Chicago but that was about it.

So, in summary. The patient was in a coma. She is out of the coma but because the car sat for so long, there is clearly some atrophy that took place. Now that I am getting her limber again, can she be my daily driver for 25 miles a day or am I going to be out a grand a month forever...

Again, I love the car, I know it is not "practical" but can it be "reasonable" or is that too much to expect?

Michael Gottlieb
San Diego, California

(Message approved by david_gore)

William H. Trovinger II
Prolific User
Username: bill_trovinger

Post Number: 194
Posted on Saturday, 02 April, 2005 - 14:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael;

I can not speak specifics on your model as I have a ’76 Shadow but have collected a fair amount of cars over the years and RR/B is no different then any other when it comes to your problems. You have a 29-year-old automobile that only traveled 36K so that is roughly 1,240 miles a year. Cars are designed on the average to run about 12k per year that means yours has only been used about 10% of what it was designed to do. Now just imagine if you spent 90% (21.6 hours/day) of the last 29 years sleeping. How well would you be working? Not to great I would think. Another way to look at it is that you have spent 20 grand that is not even U$700 a year. The only difference is you have had to play catch up for what your Dad did not do.

I do not think you should find it unusual that once you started using the car more things would go wrong. This is common as parts get their first real workout in nearly three decades some of them fail.

I guess the only advise I can give you is that if you keep using the car and stay on top of things then it will get better. However, on any major items I would really look for second opinions before taking the word of one mechanic. I am sure there are a few other shops in the San Diego area that have mechanics qualified to work on your Mulsanne. Also there are some very knowledgeable gentlemen on this site that are happy to listen.

Best regards,
Bill
’76 Shadow (SRE23726)
Wisconsin

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 177
Posted on Saturday, 02 April, 2005 - 22:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

W.H.T.!! , is absolutely correct in his recommendations to you M.G. and you ARE simply catching up on lost services.

I too am doing similar things with my Silver Spur and I'm gradually winning the battle.

We must always remind ourselves of the original market that these fine cars were built for but don't let that deter you.

It's obvious that you love the car and you have certainly done the right things so far.

I drive mine at least 200 K's a week (about 120 miles), and more if I get the opportunity and things are definitely on the improve. Are you in the R.R.O.C.? If not get into it ASAP. You will get an enormous amount of Tech help from like-minded owners and search through this forum for valuable info from those that have been there before you. I know you will get a lot of enjoyment out your car Michael and you don't have to be rich. I haven't worked full time since I was laid off seven years ago and my wife is now the breadwinner, so rich am I?

No Sirreebob.

Just enjoy.

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 376
Posted on Sunday, 03 April, 2005 - 00:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well MIchael/ Your list does not suprise me too much. The only cocked eyebrow was raised at replacing the compliance mounts and fan clutch for a car of such minimal mileage. As to other things that might give you trouble - well you will have fuel injection so I would get that checked particularly the accumulator, pump and the filters (including the one in the tank I think! When they replaced the rear engine oil seal I hope they checked the seals on the gearbox and idealy they opened it up and gave it a careful look over with new seals etc. The rubber tail shaft joints may be a bit cracked and you will probably find the tell tale holes will start leaking oil. These can be blocked off safely. The starter if it is still a Lucas job will fail and you pop a locally made up Nippon Denso unit in it. If you haven't done it replace the flexible brake hoses and put new seals in the front calipers at least if ther is any sign of leakage. Lastly have a good look at the engine mounts two rear one front. They have been known to separate and or rot! That should be about the end of your trials. Then you will have a bloody nice car!!!!

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 178
Posted on Sunday, 03 April, 2005 - 01:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

By the way Michael, What is your VIN Number?
This will assist others on this forum to identify certain matters relating to your vehicle and whatever you do, Don't confuse the hydraulic fluids. Yours uses mineral oil LHM. Not to be confused with RR363 of earlier Shadow/ T series vehicles.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 401
Posted on Sunday, 03 April, 2005 - 02:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well i don't want to put you off the car so before i get into other important jobs not listed above.
Could you confirm that you have full service history and that your father bought the car from new.

whunter
Prolific User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 137
Posted on Sunday, 03 April, 2005 - 03:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Michael Gottlieb
When you catch up on maintenance, annual cost as a daily driver should be $3,000.00 USD or less.

I suggest you join
http://rroc.org/
The SAN DIEGO Southern California chapter is very active, and helpful.

You may need this

The
American·British
British·American
Dictionary
for English Speaking People
http://clubs.hemmings.com/frameset.cfm?club=valleybrits

Have a great day.

michaelgottlieb
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 209.76.6.250
Posted on Saturday, 09 April, 2005 - 03:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for all the feedback.

I joined the RROC

To confirm, my father bought the car new and had all service done at Continental Motors in Hinsdale, IL.

The VIN is SCBZS42A6GCX14290

Made 9/85

Does that info mean anything?

I have just picked up the car and my normally low key mechanic has finally suggested that I have done so much to the car that he has put his next out and suggested that it will run for awhile without any major issues.

We will see.

Michael Gottlieb
San Diego, CA

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 379
Posted on Saturday, 09 April, 2005 - 10:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael/ I well remember my Mother talking (at length) to me and from time to time she would raise her voice and say "Are you listening to me". You obviously have a beautiful car that has been neglected. In the last thirty years as a bum amateur mechanic, I have had seven of these vehicles of various models that were simply stored and left to rot. At least your Father had the car serviced which is a start. I have recently spent some months bringing a limousine back to use. Up front all it neeeded I think was some valve stem seals and the carburetters overhauled. But I couldn't ignore my curiosity about the alternator while I had it off - sure enough there was a loose wire and worn bearings. Then I noticed the water pump leaking, the power steering pump bearing worn, the front timing case oil seal leaking as were the tell tale holes, the sump, the transmission cooler hoses and the tappet covers. The propeller shaft joints were shot the brakes didn't work the fuel hoses were rotten, the thermostat had failed and the coolant hoses were about to burst. This was a car where there was no shortage of cash yet the garages where the car was sent simply band aided the problems. I finally worked out that this car was built when most of the mechanics were still in their Father's scrotum. They had little or no experience with the model, were very busy with the new models and this car was simply a bloody nuisance to be got out of the garage as quickly as possible. It is understandable. Garage floor space in a business is money and cars going out the door are more money not antiques sitting under a dust cover waiting for a voyage of discovery by a highly paid technician!

All this is to suggest you need to work with your mechanic. Try to anticipate things that could go wrong rather than wait until it happens. The people on this site are more than helpful for owners in your situation and I hope you avail yourself of their generosity. Their aim is to keep these cars on the road in as good a nick as possible. As to my Mother's admonition, have you checked the items I listed on 3 April? And get yourself registered on this site - we need enthusiasts like you. Cheers