Rough running at idle and engine slow... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Rough running at idle and engine slow to pick up « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roger Routledge
Experienced User
Username: ringarolls

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, 02 April, 2017 - 00:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All
The Spirit has been in the garage over winter, drove in with no problems. Went to start it a few days ago, started ok but was very sluggish and appeared to be misfiring. Also popping back through the exhaust when trying to rev the engine. Checked the weakener device solenoids, and they are ok, fitted new plugs, removed the distributor cap all appears ok. Any help greatly appreciated, at a loss at the moment
Must be something simple as it was fine when driven in the garage.

SCAZS0005CCH06265

Jeff Young
Grand Master
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 335
Posted on Sunday, 02 April, 2017 - 00:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also check the choke solenoid. I had an Otter switch go bad which resulted in the solenoid holding the choke closed which had similar symptoms.

Cheers,
Jeff.

michael vass
Prolific User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 296
Posted on Sunday, 02 April, 2017 - 04:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Roger
Have another look in the dizzy cap, my old Bentley used to get through them if any dampness was about, dry give a spray with WD40 and try again.
I found halfords stocked a new one the same as rover v8.
Mike

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 416
Posted on Sunday, 02 April, 2017 - 07:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Roger how old is the fuel ? Had similar problems with my MG recently and had to drain the tank and fill with fresh fuel. Hot start was also very difficult.
Mark

Roger Routledge
Experienced User

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, 02 April, 2017 - 17:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark
The fuel in the tank is about July last year, filled her up and now it's a quarter tank. Must admit never thought of that. I know modern fuel has changed but I didn't realise it had such a short storage time.
Roger

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master

Post Number: 417
Posted on Sunday, 02 April, 2017 - 20:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Roger, over 3 months and you are pushing your luck. The Mg was filled last Oct but not used due to ill health until the beginning of March..
Mark

Roger Routledge
Experienced User

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, 02 April, 2017 - 23:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Mark
Do you think I could spice up the petrol with three or four gallons of fresh fuel?
Roger

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master

Post Number: 418
Posted on Monday, 03 April, 2017 - 06:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Roger, if there was not much in the tank, mixing with Shell 99 octane is worth a try, and then use it up ASAP. Un fortunately, the MG had a full tank of stale fuel.According to my son who is a vintage car restorer, stale fuel is a significant problem, as are coil failures.
Mark

Roger Routledge
Experienced User

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, 05 April, 2017 - 01:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark
Thank you for your advice, you were spot on. Change the fuel and no problem.
The colour of the stale fuel is slightly darker and the smell is different also.
Many thanks Roger

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Wednesday, 05 April, 2017 - 02:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The way they make petrol is not the same in all countries. These days the formulation and additives is a science in its own right. Also the addition of ethanol and in some countires MTBE and Techron result is great challenges for us classic car owners.
I have 4 floats from one car that have been full of petrol for over a year now. The floats fill up with petrol that can attack the seams (plastic floats) which in the old days would never be a problem.

I have now replaced my floats on my Wraith II with solid foam floats that can never fill up.

Patrick Francis
Frequent User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, 19 April, 2017 - 19:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The floats on my Jag Mk2 filled with fuel. SU informed me that the new fuels attack the solder used to assemble the old copper floats. They sent me "new fuel proof" plastic floats.
Has not happened to the Shadow yet, but I do keep a check!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: