PENRITE LHM PLUS Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » PENRITE LHM PLUS « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Charles Drakoulas
Experienced User
Username: free_spirit

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 09:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can anyone tell me if the above suspension fluid is suitable for use as a replacement for the castrol variety as I cannot seem to source it anywhere.
I need to top up my system after a sphere replacement.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2225
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 11:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Charles,

Have a look at the thread entitled, Mineral system oil where to source, on rollsroyceforums.com.

I have yet to see anyone refute JP_Corniche's contention about a single source for the actual substance that is then bottled by various companies under similar names.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 12:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For the record I use Total LHM Plus. have done for over a decade now.

Charles Drakoulas
Experienced User

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 12:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks all,
Looks like lhm+ should do the trick.
Just one more question though. Does it matter if one mixes mineral oil with a full synthetic version? As I do not know what is in there now, all I really want to do is top it up.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2226
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 13:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have never known of a miscibility problem with synthetic oil (and I emphasize oil) and a natural dino/mineral oil. You can mix regular motor oil and synthetic-base motor oil with impunity. The result of doing so is what is marketed as semi-synthetic.

I have grown to hate the trend toward labeling everything "synthetic" now that synthetic base motor oil has gained immensely in popularity due to its superior service life in particular.

DOT3/DOT4 brake fluids have always employed a synthetic (but NOT oil) base, and are not miscible with oils (try it in a jar and see what you end up with - it isn't pretty). Years ago I got to see what happened to a Corniche that someone added DOT3 brake fluid to that was an LHM system car (don't ask). I think that the trend in labeling DOT3/DOT4 as "synthetic brake fluid" has muddied the waters strictly for marketing purposes as their primary components have remained unchanged for decades (additive tweaks are always taking place).

But you're talking about natural base versus synthetic base LHM. Those are miscible.

Charles Drakoulas
Experienced User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 13:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Brian,
Thank you for that, I feel much better having read and understood how things stand. I think I should be reasonably safe to go ahead and top up with mineral oil LHM+

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2487
Posted on Sunday, 19 March, 2017 - 18:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Castrol reportedly has ceased making and marketing LHM fluid.

Hopefully Penrite will step in and fill the gap left by Castrol - the bean counters at BP have prevailed and Castrol is doomed to be a dying brand like so many others have done after being swallowed up by a conglomerate run by accountants.

To quote an old friend who has since passed on: "Accountants are there to tell you how much money you can spend, not how to spend it"!!!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: