Gigantic Humongous Bolshoi Battery Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Gigantic Humongous Bolshoi Battery « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 760
Posted on Wednesday, 15 March, 2017 - 12:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not being an electrical genius I want to install a large bus battery in Purple Spirit. Gentleman what are the drawbacks.???

I have zero interest in originality. I trust batteries just like I trust politicians which is a minus 100 C rating if I am feeling kind. Which I never am.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 538
Posted on Wednesday, 15 March, 2017 - 13:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir...
With the caveat that I am not an electrical genius either, my own take is that while bigger may be better in terms of reserve cranking capacity, the problem with all vehicle batteries is their end-of-life characteristics...that is, they all die eventually. In recent years, my anecdotal experience has been that when they do eventually die, it is without much warning. They just stop working...i.e. break, as opposed to slowly wearing out. Accordingly, my own feeling is that a second back-up battery is preferable to a single battery of twice the size. The idea being that when one dies, you still have the other. When the monster size battery dies, you have nothing. The plan I like is as used in recreational vehicles where there are two batteries and an isolator switch. Both charge, but only one discharges. If one dies or runs flat, you stilll have the other.
That's my take.

Nick Adlam
Frequent User
Username: crewes_control

Post Number: 95
Posted on Wednesday, 15 March, 2017 - 17:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Vlad

As long as it's a 12V starting (not deep cycle) batt and the terminals fit/line up- you can go as big as Ben Hur. The alternator will automatically adapt. A single N100 will pack a good wallop.

You're right- dual batts are a good way to go. Electronic battery isolators are better at managing the charge and switching between the batts- easier on the alternator and the life of the batts, but I've seen plenty of 4WD's happily cruising around with a simple solenoid or manual switch- KISS principle. If using KISS, then always switch batts with the ign off, saves stressing the alternator and electronics.

Ex auto-elec here :-)

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Thursday, 16 March, 2017 - 05:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Vlad,
You will be constrained by physical size of aperture too.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1755
Posted on Thursday, 16 March, 2017 - 18:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Why do you want to fit one? There is no real advantage.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: