Wheels & tyre size? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Wheels & tyre size? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alan Harrison
Experienced User
Username: alanharrison

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, 08 March, 2017 - 04:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guy's,

Ive pictured my wheels below & I'm going to be refurbishing them and have been looking at tyres but I'm not sure what size go on these.

Currently fitted are: Front: 245-55-17 and the rear are: 235-55.17 so I'm a little confused.

Im not even convinced that these are the original factory wheels, but id appreciate any advice..

Many thanks in advance

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/f4p0WCX.jpg[/IMG]

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Wednesday, 08 March, 2017 - 04:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have 2 96 model cars that have 17 inch wheels. i also have a 2001 car with 17 inch wheels. All these cars came with 255/55/17 wheels. These are a bitch to find in my country. in fact impossible to find. So I have fitted 235/65/17 tyres and they work very well indeed and look correct too.

David Towers
Prolific User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, 08 March, 2017 - 06:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tyres should be the same size front and rear. 255/55/17. I have just upgraded to Michelin tyres and they are MUCH better than the Avons - quieter, smoother, better on fuel and more grip everywhere.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Wednesday, 08 March, 2017 - 07:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alan,

First of all I would check what your owners manual specifies for the model of your car.

If the Spirits are like the Shadows, there may be very different tyre combinations based on what mark of Spirit you have.
MkI, MkII, MkIII or MkIV

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Wednesday, 08 March, 2017 - 07:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,
what model Michelins did you fit?
EG: Pilot, Primacy, Latitude ETC

I'm interested in that they are quiet, I like quiet.

Alan Harrison
Experienced User
Username: alanharrison

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, 08 March, 2017 - 07:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks, mine is actually a Bentley Brooklands, so i don't know if that'll make any difference

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1222
Posted on Wednesday, 08 March, 2017 - 07:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not sure if the Bentley followed the different marks as the Spirits did, but check your manual first.
Very important as your speedo will suffer if you fit the wrong size tyre.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 713
Posted on Wednesday, 08 March, 2017 - 09:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Alan just for information David Towers car is a Bentley Brooklands,I have a Bentley Turbo R And Omar Shams has a Bentley Turbo R all our tyres are255/55 R 17 front and back and yes your wheels are correct for your car.

Richard.

David Towers
Prolific User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, 08 March, 2017 - 21:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'll have you know that my car is not just a Bentley Brooklands, my car is a Bentley Brooklands 'R'! :-) One of only 22 rhd, swb cars ever made.
I am quite insane on the matter! :-)

Yes, my tyres are Michelin Latitude sport 111 tyres, about £150 per tyre compared to £400 for the Avons. According to the tyre specs now available, they are half the volume of the Avons, wet grip is far better and so is fuel efficiency. In fact, they make such a difference even the mechanic that works on it and delivers it back frequently, comments on them every time he drives it, and he drives a lot of these cars.

I used to get quite a bit of road noise, now gone completely (or I am becoming deaf as well as all my other ailments)and I can now set off from uphill sharp turns without spinning the wheels which was a frequent and embarrassing state of affairs before. I am a convert...

Also Richard, I 'think' that the car in question would have originally been fitted with 15" wheels as it is an earlier Brooklands.

Please note: my comments were intended in fun/humour, just in case it didn't come across through the internet waves :-)

Jean-Pierre 'JP' Hilbert
Prolific User
Username: jphilbert

Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, 09 March, 2017 - 00:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You lucky Bentley owners! No need for you to source whitewalls...

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Thursday, 09 March, 2017 - 06:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the tyre info David.

Yes,
Of corse it came across the interweb how you intended it mate

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: