Silver Sprit SCAZS000CCH04092-Brakes Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Silver Sprit SCAZS000CCH04092-Brakes « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 744
Posted on Sunday, 26 February, 2017 - 11:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Okay, so I have now become Communist Custodian of this car which bears a dash plaque claiming it was Specially Prepared for a certain Mountbatten.

That aside when I first looked at the car LHM green fluid was all over the inside of the tyres. It appears to be coming from the calipers.

I can't quite remember whether is was just the fronts or the rears as well.

First question am I right to think that metholated spirits is the best bet for clean up of the tyres?

Second question: Why would the calipers be leaking? By that I mean does this happen from age or could it be that some twit has put the old type RR brake fluid in the system croaking the whole shebangski.

My first intention is to get 20 to 40 litres of this green looking Citroen LHM stuff and flush the entire system getting any contamination out and then replacing all the seals in all the calipers and any other unit that I have to attend to. Or should I flush the entire vehicle out with metholated spirits. I love the smell of metho in the morning and I have had dialogue with some metho drinker and they swear by it.

Next I want to purchase a brand new RR9727 Pressure Guage. From where? Perhaps Kelly in Utah can knock one up for me.

Could Mr. Paul Yorke send me his entire brake parts price list so I can start getting parts and get this dark purple art form through road worthy and back on the road to terrorise the local unwashed.

As the car is in transit, can anybody tell me what size the pipe nuts are on the calipers?

At this stage I have only speed read the manual and it reeks at first blush of the Law of Trusts which I found at law school to be exceptionally boring, but I realise I have to get on top of it and then go through all TeeOne topics and all contributions.

Some cad has already seized upon the CCCP personalised number plates so I must come up with something else. Damn those plates were available for an obnoxious price for years, but now gone so I gave PussNasty a good flogging for that one.

Also, I need you all to argue about the best leather cleaner for the seats etc and the best leather food.

I intend to get this car top notch in record time and to hell with the obscene expense.

Cheers and thanks Jet Setters and fellow Scalliwags.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 521
Posted on Sunday, 26 February, 2017 - 13:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir...
Until you have the vehicle in your possession and up on a rack so that a complete investigation can be accomplished, you are simply torturing yourself with speculation about the "worst that can happen" i.e. the least amount of RR363 contaminating the mineral oil system is a fatal error. I understand that even using wrenches on a mineral oil system that have been used with the RR363 is a big no-no. While chances are low, anything is possible. I understand that there is a test chemical that can detect any cross contamination. Someone else will know and provide the details. In such a case of contamination the resolution is much more complicated than simply flushing with more mineral oil, and again, other's will contribute.

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 169
Posted on Monday, 27 February, 2017 - 07:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

There was an official factory cross contamination test kit. Procedure to draw off sample LHM and then add ??? supplied by factory and then leave in test tube to observe??? Can't now remember, but problem was at epidemic levels 1980/1/2 as brake pump clearance had been increased to stop pump becoming inoperative during hot soak conditions.

When SZ (Spirit)came out, early cars were drinking LHM as it passed the piston in brake pump(s) easier than RR363. Owners were going into forecourts and being given "Universal" fluid, which played havoc. Factory fix was to test each car as it came into dealer and then if ok seal caps with wire and lead lock with dealer code on( similar to house electric meters). Long term fix was to change reservoir and also revisit brake pump clearances to get things to acceptable level.

If it had been now, would have been subject to recall but in those days everything was "Secret Squirrel" even to the dealer network!

Christian, I use my spanners across Shadow/Spirit, never had problem. The metric equivalent is 11mm or 7/16 af. Do be carefull as some calipers have metric thread but AF unions!

Vladimir, as Christian says wait to get car. I guess none of those cross contamination kits have survived time, so I would top up LHM, run up and see where issues are as If cross contaminated, a flush with meths. won't fix issue. Lucky,early car without ABS and ride control, so if it is contaminated, which I think would show by leaks from everywhere it is a bit less costly. Don't forget spheres/struts on rear as well.

Sorry for being long winded, but don't know how much of this was ever written down. We attended 2 day conference in Ayeshire, no mention of brake pump hot soak issue. End of conference delegates asked if any final question. Dealer stood up and said, what about brake pump hot soak issue, threw meeting into uproar as Factory knew, but were trying to keep lid on issue!

Hot soak problems all resolved as all dealers were instructed to carry out tests when car in dealership, and all cars were in warranty, so would have visited at some time

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1747
Posted on Monday, 27 February, 2017 - 09:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The brake calipers do leak more often on LHM cars than 363 ever did. However the bonus is the pistons are 99% free to pop out and aren't rusted solid like 363 cars.

You will also find that LHM cars need their brakes bled more often. Especially if left standing.

The brake pumps were modified because of the internal leaking problem. If you look at the pumps you will find the early ones had top adaptors the same as a Shadow, regular HEX. Modified / Later ones have a round adaptor with four VEEs in it.

Feel the pump feed hoses, of they feel jellyfied or closed up on the inside it doesn't bode well.

LHM in a 363 is almost as bad but if it's just a small amount it will float on the surface and not get drawn into the system.

Here is a picture of 4 seals. Exactly the same. The two big ones have been in the wrong fluid.

contaminated seals

I'll drop you a line Vlad :D Thanks.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 745
Posted on Monday, 27 February, 2017 - 13:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lovely stuff chaps! Secret squirrel indeed. ! Don't start me on squirrels!!!!

William Appleby
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, 09 April, 2017 - 07:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a 1989 Silver Spur. I took it to a non-RR mechanic to do the rear brake pads.

All went well but after refilling the reservoirs he can't get it to hold pressure?

(Message approved by david_gore)

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 740
Posted on Sunday, 09 April, 2017 - 19:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi William I am sure that if we knew the whole story it would help, Fitting new brake pads and topping up Reservoirs is very straight forward, What was the state of the car before this mechanic started working on it.

Richard.

Darryl Watson
Experienced User
Username: inox

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, 08 May, 2017 - 20:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have found that on occasion 11mm spanners, of which I have many, are a fraction too large for nuts on the hydraulics.
I have a spanner that's marked 3/16W 1/4BS which fits a treat as they say.
Don't know where I obtained the spanner - it's been in my kit for eons.
Regards
Darryl

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: