Spirit fuel problem. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Spirit fuel problem. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lloyd Pollock
Yet to post message
Username: lloyd777

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 09:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

1988 Silver Spirit is giving problems. On a recent drive the engine died. It started after I gave the fuel pump a few sharp taps with a hammer. It sat idle for two weeks and needed the hammer treatment before it started again. We replaced the fuel pump (UE71606) and all went well for a while but the fault has returned. Now we think it may be the accumulator at fault (UE71607). A former mechanic tells me that the points may need to be cleaned. Can anyone tell me if there are contact breaker points in either the pump or the accumulator and if so, are they serviceable ?? See TSD4737 C2-7 for diagram. What is the purpose of the accumulator ?? Chassis number is SCAZS00A1KCH24947.

gary webb
New User
Username: webbgw

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 10:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hi lloyd
your car is mechanical injection
fuel pump and accumulator none servicable
check fuel and fuel filter
petrol is only good for 2 weeks these days before it starts to go off
gary

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 519
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 13:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The peanut gallery suggests checking connections, ground wire notably. The hammer treatment may be tweaking the connection temporarily.

P.S. Lose the hammer. Someone has been reading too many anecdotes regarding SU fuel pumps...inapplicable here.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1083
Posted on Tuesday, 14 February, 2017 - 19:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The accumulator manifests itself with extended cranking periods before she starts. If she takes ages to start then the accumulator needs changing. When I had an 88 model Spur I put an accumulator from a Mercedes in it and it worked fine. The Mercedes part was much cheaper and did the trick.

Your problem may possibly be something to do with the feed to the pump. I remember reading something about some of these cars having a pump inside the tank which also had a mesh filter. These were simply deleted and the cars ran better when they were removed. I don't know if your car is one of these beasts or not.

Larry Halpert
Prolific User
Username: larry_halpert

Post Number: 170
Posted on Wednesday, 15 February, 2017 - 10:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What Mercedes part number (or for which specific car model) did you use?

- Larry

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Thursday, 16 February, 2017 - 03:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To be honest Larry - I sold that car well over 15 years ago - I cannot remember anything about that sort of detail anymore.

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 161
Posted on Thursday, 16 February, 2017 - 20:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

HAD FRIEND WITH INJECTED 87 M/Y WITH ALL SORTS OF WIEWD FUELLING PROBS. IN END IT WAS FILTER IN TANK THAT HAD CLOGGED/SLUDGED UP. THIS CAR HAD SAT AROUND FOR LONG PERIODS(YEARS) HE TOOK TANK OUT, BUT I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT THIS PICKUP/FILTER WAS ACCESSABLE FROM UNDER CAR??

Lloyd Pollock
New User
Username: lloyd777

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, 03 June, 2017 - 05:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can anyone verify that UE71607 is the correct original part number for the fuel accumulator for this car ?? I'm confused because the registration book says the car is 1988 yet when I decode the VIN ( K is the model year) it tells me the car is 1989.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2331
Posted on Sunday, 04 June, 2017 - 03:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lloyd,

When it comes to dating the model year of your car the VIN always wins. It's a 1989.

In looking through the spare parts manual I cannot seem to come up with the correct page for the accumulator, but that is the correct number for the Bosch system. It crosses directly to this Bosch part:

http://www.bosch-classic.com/en/internet/bosch_classic/produkte/motor_1/kraftstoffspeicher/kraftstoffspeicher.html

Brian, who will never understand what genius decided to take the parts number key list off of the parts manual pages for the SZ era cars

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 247
Posted on Monday, 21 May, 2018 - 01:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Had problem starting hot ( it always would eventually) changed accumulator and cured problem straight away,

Robert J. Sprauer
Experienced User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, 21 May, 2018 - 07:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The fuel system is Bosch sourced for everything..injectors to fuel accumulator...same as my 1980 Wraith II

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: