Auxiliary fan gremlin Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Auxiliary fan gremlin « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Edward Mckinley
Experienced User
Username: ed_mckinley

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, 26 November, 2016 - 12:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Upon realizing that my auxiliary electric fans should not be constantly running on my 89 Corniche, I began to consult the manual, TSD 4701 section 30-3. If I remove the 10 amp fuse in fuse board 1, location B2, the fan stops, which according to the schematic is part of the sensing circuit although on my fuse board it's marked as indicators and does power them also. I tried swapping the relay with no success, and also tried disconnecting the wires on top of the thermostat housing with no success. The fans only run if the bonnet is closed, although I don't see that switch in the wiring diagram in 30–3. if anyone has any experience with this I would certainly appreciate some guidance . Thanks

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Saturday, 26 November, 2016 - 20:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not near a wiring diagram but . . .

Does your car have a pressure switch near the air con receiver dryer? Over pressure may bring the fans on. It's loom is also close to the left hand bonnet hinge . . . Could it be fouling / shorting there?

Edward Mckinley
Experienced User

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, 27 November, 2016 - 00:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If it is the part that I think, it's sitting in the upper left-hand corner behind the left side headlamps it has refrigerant hoses going to it and it has a green cap on it with two wires coming out. if I disconnect those two wires the fan continues to run regardless

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Sunday, 27 November, 2016 - 08:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

With the bonnet open and closed. Any sign of chuffed wiring looms?

Wondering if it's possible to swap the connectors bonnet light switch and that switch by mistake?

Still not near a wiring diagram.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 423
Posted on Sunday, 27 November, 2016 - 08:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul...that's a brilliant idea provoked by the "red light" that the issue is affected by the condition of the bonnet...open versus closed...indicating that the problem is related to the bonnet position either touching, moving, or otherwise affecting the wiring for the fan...or not! Nevertheless a symptom that so "jumps out at you", that it screams "investigate further along that line." Don't we just hate these gremlins? shades of Omar's bad connection for his transmission...not the first thing to pop into one's mind to check!!

Edward Mckinley
Experienced User

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, 28 November, 2016 - 00:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I will check that today as a possible cause but I thought perhaps the fans only ran with the bonnet closed as a safety precaution? Also, the bonnet light does operate correctly

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Monday, 28 November, 2016 - 01:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No. Fans are independent of bonnet possition.

Edward Mckinley
Experienced User

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, 28 November, 2016 - 11:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Found a nicked wire which was shorting out against the hinge when the bonnet closed. Easy repair and the fan is now working properly. Thanks for your all your help.
On a separate note while I was troubleshooting it I managed to break the little switch for the bonnet lamp. The switch feels rather cheap, has anyone come up with something better as a replacement? The parts manual lists it as UD12195

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2320
Posted on Monday, 28 November, 2016 - 12:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Edward,

Do you have a mercury switch or a mechanical switch?

Both types should be available from an electrical hobby supplier if you take the old switch to them for matching.

I prefer the mercury switch for its simplicity and lack of moving parts.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/mini-mercury-switch-spst/p/SM1044

David

Edward Mckinley
Experienced User

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, 28 November, 2016 - 13:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mine is the mechanical type and mounted Low on the left-hand side hinge mechanism and attached with cable ties. I assume if you use this Mercury switch you are mounting it to the underside of the bonnet?

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1689
Posted on Monday, 28 November, 2016 - 18:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great news on a strange fault.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 428
Posted on Monday, 28 November, 2016 - 19:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey, Edward...I need that switch too, so be sure to post where you get a replacement and part #. The original as on my SRX2541 is mechanical with a plastic button that is pushed as the hinge closes. The underbonnet light is basically useless as compared to a quality torch(UK)/flashlight(US) but it is still nice when things work as they should!

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2324
Posted on Monday, 28 November, 2016 - 20:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Edward,

Yes, it is mounted on the bonnet lid and will activate shortly after the bonnet is lifted. A simple rewiring is all that is needed to link the mercury switch to the original mechanical switch connections.

I also suggest you replace the engine bay light with a LED unit[s] to give brighter and more effective illumination. The OEM lights are as effective as a candle in the wind IMHO.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/products/outdoors-auto-products/outdoor-portable-lighting/12vdc-battery-lighting/c/801D

My apologies for using local suppliers to illustrate the items I am referring to however similar suppliers should exist in the USA.

David

Edward Mckinley
Experienced User

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, 01 December, 2016 - 13:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is the actual original equipment switch, sure beats $65.00 for it to come in a Bentley box

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bulgin-S621-Old-Fashioned-Door-Switch-Single-Pole-On-Off-OM527B-/251882077268?hash=item3aa5577c54:g:xpcAAOSwrklVBwt1

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 438
Posted on Thursday, 01 December, 2016 - 14:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Edward...
Thank you for sharing that find. Now I can have a functional underbonnet light, too...and under $10US delivered!!

Mark Aldridge
Grand Master
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 373
Posted on Thursday, 01 December, 2016 - 23:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Edward, just bought 2. Do you know the BULGIN part no. for the door switches ?
Regards
Mark

Edward Mckinley
Experienced User

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, 02 December, 2016 - 05:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I do not, but the Bulgin part number was molded on the switch itself so perhaps it is the same for the door, once you remove it

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: