Are HT Leads Special? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Are HT Leads Special? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 869
Posted on Tuesday, 18 October, 2016 - 03:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I want to change the HT leads on my 96 Continental R.
Now guys - these leads are just run of the mill HT leads. Before I take a sample lead to the parts shop can someone confirm that any good quality HT lead that fits will be ok in this application? For goodness sake they are just leads that go form the coil to the plug - nothing exotic.
Let the fun begin....................

michael vass
Prolific User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 229
Posted on Tuesday, 18 October, 2016 - 04:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar
Got me thinking F.S. list lots of different ones , I can see some have metal covers and I can understand different lengths for 1 or twin dizzys etc but the price varies between £150 - £250 ouch!
Like you say the spark is a spark on a honda 50 or mustang 500 , what could possibly go wrong?
Good luck and let us know.
Cheers
Mike

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 870
Posted on Tuesday, 18 October, 2016 - 04:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

my car has 8 coils and 8 equal length HT leads. doesnt get any simpler than this really.....

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1669
Posted on Tuesday, 18 October, 2016 - 05:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As long as the ends are the same and the length is very close you should be fine. :-)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2261
Posted on Tuesday, 18 October, 2016 - 07:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Are the leads resistor or non-resistor specification?

This is important as the spark plugs must be resistor or non-resistor specification to suit the type of leads installed.

Resistor leads need non-resistor spark plugs and vice-versa.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 591
Posted on Tuesday, 18 October, 2016 - 08:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm thinking Omar should buy from here.

Something for everyone by the looks of it.

http://www.sumax.com/8MMCustom.html

Or these

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1670
Posted on Tuesday, 18 October, 2016 - 09:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, I'm pretty sure its:

Resistor leads and resistor plugs.

Non resistor leads and non resistor plugs, but must have a resistor plug connector cap or resistor rotor arm or In-line resistor in the coil lead.

Old cars may have none at all.

But newer cars with electronics use resistor leads with resistor plugs.

I must be careful. To me a new car is anything post 90 and an old car is pre 50.

I get VERY odd looks when people say " It's in good condition, is it old?" And I say "no it's a 1993". That's pretty ancient by most manufacturers measuring stick!!

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2264
Posted on Tuesday, 18 October, 2016 - 11:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,

Thanks for the update - I haven't had any significant ignition system experience with post-1980 cars thanks to my never-say-die 1990's diesel work horse [although I can tell you a lot about diesel injectors and timing belts!!!!!].

I had problems with mismatched leads and plugs on my earlier vehicles and my memory is not as reliable as it used to be.........

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: