Turbo R horn overhaul. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Turbo R horn overhaul. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 645
Posted on Saturday, 08 October, 2016 - 06:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all I would like to give the horns on 60128 a bit of a service, they sound like they have the flu, The sound seems to be coming from the nearside, are both horns on that side,and how do I find them.

Richard.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 720
Posted on Tuesday, 28 March, 2017 - 08:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi found the horns today will try to remove them tomorrow, the reason for this overhaul is that both of these horns sound the same, my understanding of the way they should e is that one horn was for town use and the other was for country use, maybe they changed something in the later cars.

Richard.

Alan Ford
Prolific User
Username: herne13

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, 28 March, 2017 - 11:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My '86 Turbo RL has two very different and distinctive horn tones, they are set by a button on the console.

Mark Luft
Experienced User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, 28 March, 2017 - 23:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Same here Alan, my 93 has a regular electric horn and an electric driven air horn with a much higher note. The air compressor is fitted to the left side under bonnet and has a small oil port in the back so it can be lubricated. Perhaps this is your issur Richard.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 721
Posted on Tuesday, 28 March, 2017 - 23:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Alan and Mark thank you for your pointers, I haven't had a chance to do anything with it today, must have a look for that compressor my car is registered 18 04 1997, perhaps someone will know whether it should have one.

Richard.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Wednesday, 29 March, 2017 - 03:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Richard,
Most Bentleys form the 90s have two horns that the driver selects from a switch in the centre console. The air horn as has been stated has a compressor that produces compressed air that then feeds two trumpets via a hose. The other horn is an electric pair of horns that sound like normal cars. The air compressor should be very clearly visible near the coolant overflow tank.

Omar

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1782
Posted on Wednesday, 29 March, 2017 - 04:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard, if you are getting the same horn when the button is in both positions I would look at the switch and the horn changeover relay first.

Try working the switch lots of times as well. 40 or 50 presses sometimes.

The contacts seem to oxadise with lack of use.

Good luck with her :-)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2493
Posted on Wednesday, 29 March, 2017 - 08:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Fiamm air horns were a "Continental" option for the Shadows and were fitted to DRH14434 operated by a foot switch on the front bulkhead.

The oil port on the top of the compressor is a regular maintenance item requiring a non-detergent oil - I used air compressor oil which is stocked by most auto parts retailers and engineer's supply warehouses.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 723
Posted on Wednesday, 29 March, 2017 - 09:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you all for input, will have a look tomorrow.

Richard.

Darryl Watson
Experienced User
Username: inox

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, 08 May, 2017 - 20:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you need to replace the "normal" horns they are probably the same as fitted to Citroen C5's.(They were on our Mulsanne S)
££'s less than RR parts.
Regards
Darryl

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: