S/Spirit RATTLE Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » S/Spirit RATTLE « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glynn
Frequent User
Username: glynn

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, 23 January, 2005 - 07:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi everyone,
I have a question, when going over bumps and holes etc I can hear a loudish rattle noise coming from the near side rear wheel area. I have removed the wheel trim to no avail. If I hit the tyre hard with my hand it makes the sound than as well. I feels as if somethings loose just in of the wheel. Any ideas ?

Regards

Glynn

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 525
Posted on Sunday, 23 January, 2005 - 08:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Try adjusting your parking brake at the caliper as they rattle when too loose. As a quick check if a climb underneath is inconvenient, try applying the parking brake shortly when the rattle occurs and see if the rattle stops.

Gordon Norris
Experienced User
Username: crewes_missile

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, 05 March, 2005 - 11:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glynn,
Richards reply is the usual reason, but if it is just one side and the parking brake trick doesn't eliminate it, I have an UNUSUAL cause that I experienced: I had this rattle and it was driving me crazy. Every nut and bolt on the rear was checked, the tool compartment, even under the rear seat...all to no avail. I reluctantly gave up and just put up with it. It wasn't that loud and I got used to it, and it seemed to come and go in intensity. Then one day, not much later I had occasion to remove the R/H boot trim, and while it was off I did the usual quick check of exposed wiring and a quick vacuum, when lo' and behold at the bottom of the sill trough on the R/H side of the boot (the empty space in the bodywork behind the rear wheel) I found a complete set of rear bumper side retaining nuts, a reinforcing plate, and a suitable spanner! The spanner was marked RR/Gedore and was NOT from the toolkit...must have been there since manufacture and forgotten when someone went on a smoko break!

So if all else fails, check someone hasn't dropped something down there or a loose part hasn't fallen down!
Cheers.

GN.

John Dare
Grand Master
Username: jgdare

Post Number: 207
Posted on Saturday, 05 March, 2005 - 11:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Gordon. That reminds me of the case recalled in Martyn Nutlands book about the empty milk bottle that was found entombed in a boxed chassis area of a new "S" series car. The indignant owner had returned the car to the dealer who virtually dismantled it in search of "a clonking noise", eventually locating the source within the chassis itself. Apparently the wayward bottle had been "left" there ("smoko/drinko"?) by a worker at the company who supplied the bare chassis to Crewe. In typical British undertatement it was said at the time, that there had been "hell to pay" over that particular incident.

Gordon Norris
Experienced User
Username: crewes_missile

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, 05 March, 2005 - 11:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,
I found a dead mummified mouse in the sill of a Ferrari 308 when fixing a dented undertray. There was no other way in and the tray had been in situ since manufacture.

I think these are the human consequences of cars that spend some time being built!

GN.

Gabriël Viljoen
Prolific User
Username: gabriel

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, 09 March, 2005 - 21:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ticking noise in Shadow.

I know this is not the Shadow section, but I have a similar noise that drives me crazy. It sounds like someone ticking with a piece of metal against the metal of the car.

The sound is coming from the rear right hand side damper. I used a stethoschope to search for the sound. I could spot noting loose when removing the side trim. The sound is not coming from the damper housing, but is loudest when I put the stethoscope against the metal panel between the boot and the rear passenger seat rest. Again, I could not spot anything loose - I even removed the rear seat.

I have checked under the car - I cannot find anything that seems loose.

I do not know where to search anymore. The sound has been there ever since I purchased the car 3 years ago.

Gabriel

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 408
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2005 - 13:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Gabriel,

Does it sound like the Beatles "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" tapping away on a regular basis and does your car use RR363?

If so this is a common problem caused by the "old" Castrol reformulation for RR363 and is believed to be caused by the self-levelling ram piston sticking in the bore. The cure is to flush the system with current RR363 with particular emphasis on bleeding the rams thoroughly [boot loaded as heavily as possible; system in fast-levelling mode [front door open] and engine running SAFETY FIRST wear eye protection and open bleed valves very carefully as fluid is at full system pressure]

Gabriël Viljoen
Prolific User

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, 10 March, 2005 - 16:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David

The previous owner filled it with Dot 4. I drained the whole system, replaced all the rubber o-rings and seals in the braking system and filled with RR363 - since then I have blead it several times (bleeding the dampers by loosening the height control arm and moving it up and down).

Also, I have fitted new dampers to the front and the rear and the sound is still there.

Gabriel

David Gore

Post Number: 413
Posted on Friday, 11 March, 2005 - 15:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Gabriel;

You have identified the cause of the problem being the DOT4 - I would continue to bleed the rams on a monthly basis to get rid of all traces of the DOT4 and see if the RR363 will rejuvenate the ram seals; if the problem does not go away; you will have to recondition the rams.

Am I correct in my assumption that the noise is only at the rear of the car?

Gabriël Viljoen
Prolific User

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, 11 March, 2005 - 16:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David

Yes, the sound is only coming from the rear - in particular, the right hand side. When you sit in the back of the car, it sounds as if the sound is coming from the right hand side vanity mirror - I have removed this, but there is nothing that can make a noise behind this.

I had new dampers fitted to the rear. Could it be that they were not fitted propperly, resulting in the noise? (However, it did make the noise prior to fitting the new dampers).

I have blead the rear dampers numerous times and am sure there are no more DOT 4 left in the system. Maybe I should open the tops of the dampers housings, situated inside the boot, and check if there are nothing in there that can make the noise.

Thank you for your imput.

Gabriel

David Gore

Post Number: 414
Posted on Friday, 11 March, 2005 - 17:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gabriel, The source of the noise is almost certainly from the ram - to eliminate the shock absorbers as the source; liberally spray WD40/Inox or equivalent on and around the top/bottom bushes and take the car for a run straight away if the sound is still present; spray liberally around the top and bottom of the coil spring and go for another drive - if the sound is still present then it will be the ram.

Arthur Francis
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 211.28.77.132
Posted on Saturday, 19 March, 2005 - 22:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys,
That noise is indeed the ram however its partial engagement and then retraction is caused by a valve in the height control valve assembly for that side not seating correctly.this was the explanation given by my cars repairer and I have no reason to doubt him.
Hope this helps and keep up the good work all you regular contributors.

(Message approved by david_gore)