Been spending money again... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Been spending money again... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Towers
Frequent User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 67
Posted on Sunday, 18 September, 2016 - 09:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What ho chaps...

Finally got the starting problem sorted out (hooray) as detailed elsewhere, then, less than a month later, the car was due a service and an MOT (English road worthiness test, done yearly and now pretty strict). The service was straight forward and I had the diff oil changed as well as that was the only thing not done this year. However, the rotten car failed the MOT! I was NOT happy... (this is the point you ask: 'so which of the dwarves were you then?)

It only failed on minor stuff: two rubber boots on the anti roll bar link (front) and the fog light switch fell apart when the tester pressed it! But it also had 'advisories' for cracking between the treads on three of the tyres and a slow release on the front brakes.

So, rather than take chances, I had new front brake hoses fitted (cheap right? Er, no!) and bought a set of new tyres.

Now, I don't know what the forum members think about the original fit Avons, but I'm not a fan. Now that you get to see how the tyres fair on noise, fuel economy, wet grip etc before you buy them, the Avons compare really very badly to anything more modern. Their wet grip rating is: 'C' road noise 73db and fuel economy 'F'! 'A' being best... the last thing we need is a tyre that's helping to kill fuel consumption isn't it?

So, I did loads of research, and then, after reading a post on a forum regarding tyres, bought Michelin Latitude Sport 3 tyres. Wet grip is 'A', road noise 70db, and economy 'C' so much, much better.

The other bonus is; the Michelins are £150 each rather than £400 for the Avons!

First impressions are great, road noise is gone, turn in and stability feels much sharper, and they look good :-)

So, with the alarm/immobiliser and this lot, I have spent another £3K on the car in 5 weeks!

Jolly expensive this Bentley ownership lark isn't it? Especially when you can't do the work ourself and have to pay someone else all the time!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 618
Posted on Sunday, 18 September, 2016 - 23:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David commiserations it just goes with the territory of owning old cars regardless of their pedigree, I know that you have health issues like myself and cant do a lot of crawling about therefore I would look for a more competent Service engineer as I think a service means more than a quick Oil and filter change.

Best Regards.

Richard.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: