Charles is at it again Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Charles is at it again « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Wort
Frequent User
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, 05 January, 2005 - 00:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On a very hot Saturday afternoon a few weeks ago, I was motoring along Warrigal Road behind a vehicle that was traversing the white line, thus making it impossible to overtake him ( Did I mention he was only doing 40kph? and yes! He was wearing a hat). I thought there was no point in putting my life or anyone elses in danger by overtaking on the wrong side of the road and as I hate using the horn , I thought I would pull alongside him at the next red light and accelerate past him at the next green light.

Then the engine cut out. Oh! How 'embarrassment' as the Greek comedienne would say. I managed to start it again and Charles cut out again. Again, I started it and this time Charles kept going. Anticipating that this may happen again, I pulled into a side road and decided to take the back streets to avoid holding up other vehicles should the problem re-occur. This it did and this time Charles refused to start. Thinking that this might be vapour lock, I let him sit here for a while before I attempted to start up again. Success! As my destination was not too far away, I proceeded on my journey and then let him cool down for a few hours. Five hours passed and he started without incident, so I drove home to Greensborough. I looked up some websites on Google to see if there were any suggestions as to the prevention of any future occurrences and I learned a new terminology. Carburettor Percolation (some useful info was found on an MG Car Club website). I still had my doubts however and thought I would wait until cooler weather to see if Charles would cut out again. He did! And he started again and cut out again. As Robert Chapman was on holiday, I thought I would contact Glenn Bold. Glenn is a vary capable Auto Electrician that Rob Chapman frequently uses. Rather than risk driving the Rolls down to him. I rang the RACV to get Charles transported. Thank goodness for Total Care and anyone who owns one our our marques would be very wise to upgrade to this service (or the equivalent in other states). Well ! Murphy and his law struck again and Charles behaved impeccably when Glenn tested him (don't cars make their owners look like screaming idiots?). Glenn persisted however and finally the engine cut out. The problem? Well it seems that the coil was drawing too much current and damaged the electronic ignition. Not to a total failure but enough to keep it stopping. I will pick up Charles tomorrow and I will give you a more accurate description of what happened and the remedy when I talk to Glenn face-to-face. Hopefully, this might help someone else in the future if they come across a similar problem.

John Dare
Prolific User
Username: jgdare

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, 05 January, 2005 - 18:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, Robert, you are certainly in good hands with Glen B and Robert C, and I am sure other viewers await the results of the findings. Incidentally, I often travel Warrigal Rd and if in the "R"- type (with sun roof retracted) might be sporting the cream "Panama Jack" from Florida. But nay, twas not me whom you espied, for although it has been implied that I might be a bit slow (on the road) I do drive in excess of "40". And quite often too.

Robert Wort
Frequent User
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, 05 January, 2005 - 21:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Actually John, I am generally a slow driver
( according to my stepson). I usually set my cruise control to the speed limit to avoid the dreaded radar as I used to be a leadfoot.
Well! Charles has returned and it was indeed as described above. The coil in its aged state was drawing too much current and had overloaded the capacitor in the distributor. Glenn was amazed that it ran at all. While Charles was there, I thought I might as well get my left front window fixed as well as it hasn't operated for about six months. Glenn fitted a Piranha ignition system in place of the old one as not only are they somewhat cheaper, but considerably more reliable. He asked if I wanted another system in that increases its performance but as I said before, I'm not a speed demon and I was quite happy with Charles's performance as it was. He did put a high performance coil in there though as they are much more durable. So there you are. The old chap purrs along just like he should and my left window works too. Total cost $932.00
Not too bad. Now all I need to attend to is the trip meter, the outside temperature guage (eventually) the Headlamp wipers and washer (eventually also) and a couple of minor body details. As I see you are also in my locality John, I hope to meet you at the next meeting at Jells Park.