Transmission Misbehaviour Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Transmission Misbehaviour « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ab
New User
Username: alfbast

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, 11 May, 2016 - 05:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Torque converts transmission
Hi
I am recently experiencing a peculiar behavior on my car.
The gear selector of my car is becoming increasingly hard when changing from P to D or I.
Meanwhile I have the impression the car is not running as it used to. I notice a reduced power and a feeling of sliping (I can't say if the engine or the wheels).
Oil level is in correct.
If I move the selector several time for P to I, no problems appear but when driving, again, it become hard.
Any help!
Thanks
Vin 24570

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2041
Posted on Wednesday, 11 May, 2016 - 09:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

ab,

When did you last change the automatic transmission fluid? If you put a drop of fluid on a white tissue/paper towel from the transmission dipstick, what is the colour of the fluid?

I am assuming your transmission is the GM T400 hydraulic version. My suspicions are you have a failed/missing O-ring on the top of the fluid pick-up tube that draws fluid from the pan into the transmission proper. If this seal is not functioning, the suction from the transmission oil pump will draw air with the fluid into the transmission proper giving the symptoms you describe.

Replacing the O-ring is a simple but messy operation if the pan on your transmission has not been retro-fitted with a drain plug. I suggest you consider modifying the pan by fitting an after-market drain plug as well as replacing the filter screen and sump gasket [these two items are available as a kit for the GM T400 transmission from most automotive parts suppliers] before replacing the sump and filling the transmission with fluid.

ab
New User
Username: alfbast

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, 11 May, 2016 - 16:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you. I will check.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: