Oil pressure gauge. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Oil pressure gauge. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Towers
Experienced User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, 27 April, 2016 - 08:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am having a panic... again! I do not like having gauges without numbers on them, I like numbers, they keep me calm!
So, my Brooklands 'R' turbo (chassis 66221) has an oil pressure gauge with a large white sector and two markings below this (so three if you include the beginning of the white sector). When she is cold, the gauge is at the very top of the white at idle or with a few revs on, when hot the oil pressure at 1500 is towards the top of the white sector, while at idle (in gear) it is at the bottom of the white sector, it occasionally dips just below the white when it's been stuck in traffic for a while after a fastish run.

My old turbo r sat in the middle of the gauge when a few revs applied but at about 1 and a half marks (out of three, taking the third mark to be the beginning of the white) when idling hot.

Does this seem about right? I have had a quick ;Google' and am not getting answers - lots of gauges for sale and sender units, but no answers!

Please tell me my engine is lovely and healthy and is NOT going to cost me more money!

Just for clarity: the oil is 10/40 synthetic and about 1000 miles old.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Wednesday, 27 April, 2016 - 09:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David,

That sounds pretty good and about par for a good engine with good oil.

They are not the most accurate of gauges which, I suspect, is why they come without numbers.

They are good however to show up strange behaviour. If it suddenly starts reading low I'd check the oil level and look for leaks. If it is reading too high, I'd expect an electrical problem.

I've just had a Spur recovered from Dover with a damaged oil cooler and no oil left on the dipstick. The owner thought it was power steering oil :-( . .. good job he phoned me before he took it on the ferry.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 592
Posted on Wednesday, 27 April, 2016 - 13:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear David,
I had the same problem with my 96 Continental R. Mine went a stage further and triggered the low oil pressure alarm in the instrument cluster. The minute the revs were increased, the alarm stopped and the pressure was good again. Paul York suggested replacing the sender unit which I did. Three years later and all is well. In my case it was the oil pressure sender unit.

David Towers
Experienced User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, 27 April, 2016 - 20:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks chaps. You have put my mind at ease. I get moments of pure panic with this car which are totally irrational, the slightest 'odd' event sets me off and I find myself clutching my wallet and whimpering while laying in a foetal position.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: