Facet Fuel Pump Kit Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Facet Fuel Pump Kit « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roger Routledge
Experienced User
Username: ringarolls

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, 10 April, 2016 - 01:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All
As my full pump is an original Pierburg, and at present is working fine,I am looking at replacing it with the Facet replacement in order to prevent a breakdown in the future.
I can purchase a facet pump for a fraction of the price that FS can supply. Can anyone advise which Facet pump to get that matches the output of the original. Or would you advise getting the pump from FS.

Roger
SCAZS0005CCH06265.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1870
Posted on Sunday, 10 April, 2016 - 07:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Roger,

Download the RR & Bentley Parts, Repair, Restoration & Other Resources Compilation and search for "Pierburg".

Brian

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1507
Posted on Sunday, 10 April, 2016 - 08:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would keep the pierburg on the car but buy a facet and keep it handy.

An old pierburg is (imho) more reliable than a new facet.

Listen out for strange irregular noises from the pump . . . Usually a good indication some thing is going wrong.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1871
Posted on Sunday, 10 April, 2016 - 09:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I also second Paul's opinion. These pumps have very long functional lives, and there are usually hints that "the end is near" such that "sudden death" isn't common. The same can't be said of the dual SU pump with regard to sudden death, as they tend to sound "just fine" until they're suddenly not. It's not uncommon for one of the two pumps on the dual unit to die years before the other and the car can run just fine with only one of the two units actually pumping. I'm absolutely certain that one of the two pumps of the dual SU on SRH33576 wasn't functioning from the time I bought the car until the other side died. She went many thousands of miles, and across the United States, on "half" of a dual SU pump.

If you've got a smooth hum from your pump when you turn the key to the run position and aren't hearing any "arrythmias" when you're listening all is well.

Brian

Roger Routledge
Experienced User
Username: ringarolls

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, 12 April, 2016 - 02:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Paul and Brian.
I will take what you said on board. As Paul said I will get a Facet pump just in case.

Roger

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 290
Posted on Tuesday, 12 April, 2016 - 05:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Roger, I had a Pierburg fail without any warning. Failed across a Junction in Southport and I was awarded a parking ticket whilst waiting for recovery (later refunded on appeal !)My Facet pump came from a motorsport supplier.
Mark

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1873
Posted on Tuesday, 12 April, 2016 - 05:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Roger,

As Mark's post indicates, there are always the outliers that defy the general pattern.

You may want to consider installing the Facet in such a way that it can serve as a backup pump "at the flip of a switch." Others have reported doing this and been happy they did so, but as a backup for an SU pump.

Whether this would work in a system powered by a Pierburg is an open question since, if memory serves, the rotary vanes are not turned by a spindle, but magnetically. My now-sold Jag's heating system scavenger pump worked this way. I don't know whether there's enough power to the Pierburg to either pull fuel or push fuel through a Facet sitting upstream/downstream of itself.

Brian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: