Speedo inop, but odo still working Br... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Speedo inop, but odo still working Brooklands 'R' « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Towers
Experienced User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, 09 April, 2016 - 21:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello all, just had a load of paintwork done on the old girl and as I was driving her back, noticed the speedo was not working. Odometer however, is. Haven't checked cruise control as I haven't been anywhere that was not solid traffic. Chassis is 66221.
Help would be much appreciated as I am now broke!

Dave.

David Towers
Experienced User

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, 09 April, 2016 - 23:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Update. It appears when John (the painter) put the car outside he spun the wheels in reverse quite a bit to get it two wheels on the kerb and the speedo needle has jumped over the stop and in use, it is now hard up against the stop. Any ideas how to get the clear plastic/glass off without damage?

David Towers
Experienced User

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, 10 April, 2016 - 01:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, I took my 'brave pills' and stripped out the dashboard. Took the clocks apart, put the needle back to where it should be and it all works! No one is more astonished than me. I have actually repaired something on my own car without breaking anything else in the process!

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 482
Posted on Sunday, 10 April, 2016 - 03:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well done David glad the brave pills worked I am sorry that your car has caused you so much pain and I hope you get to enjoy it without any more problems.

Richard.

David Towers
Experienced User

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, 10 April, 2016 - 04:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I left the door open for too long and the battery was flat. Called the AA who came straight out and tested the battery and declared it to be 'poorly'. Jump started it and the charging system is fine and there is no drain so I think I need a new battery.

John the painter said the battery went flat a few times in the fortnight he had it. I think it's just old (no idea how old though) and so replace it.

It just seems that I cannot get a break with this car: every time I get something repaired, something else goes wrong! If it wasn't such a pleasure to drive (when healthy!)I'd set it on fire!

To be honest, though you have to strip everything out of the dash area to get at the gauges, it is a real pleasure to work n - everything is logical, complicated, but definitely logical! :-)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1970
Posted on Sunday, 10 April, 2016 - 08:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

The earlier Shadows were prone to battery drain problems causing flat batteries if they were not driven regularly - search the Shadow topic using "battery drain" as the key words for more information.

The usual solution was to install a battery isolation switch in the boot/trunk and use it each time the car was garaged - only downside was having to reset the clock each time you took the car out...........

Does your car have the diodes on the fuse board like the earlier Shadows? If so, they may requiring replacing as they can break down as they age causing electrical drain on the battery. Sorry cannot be more specific as I have no experience with the later models after the Shadow. Others may be able to contribute more relevant and specific advice.

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 172
Posted on Sunday, 10 April, 2016 - 13:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Quote: "It appears when John (the painter) put the car outside he spun the wheels in reverse quite a bit to get it two wheels on the kerb and the speedo needle has jumped over the stop and in use, it is now hard up against the stop."

Seems like a conversation with this fellow would be in order regarding abusing customers' cars this way. If there was a compelling reason to get it up over the curb, rather than banging it against the curb, damaging the speedo by spinning the tires, which also wears the tread, simply using some sort of ramp device to allow the tires to gently climb up onto and over the curb would have been the less "ham fisted" thing to do.

I'm just saying.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 484
Posted on Sunday, 10 April, 2016 - 19:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian I agree with you completely, John the painter probably would not treat his own car in such a manner.

Richard.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Sunday, 10 April, 2016 - 19:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It was an odd thing to do.

But even odder . . Unlike cable driven speedos . . I don't think the speedo knows which way the car is moving and is driven from a front wheel. (Although I guess by the chassis number the car is pretty late and they may have changed the system again).

David Towers
Experienced User

Post Number: 28
Posted on Sunday, 10 April, 2016 - 20:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I 'think' that the speedo on these late cars is run from the ecu in the boot which takes signals from the drivers side rear wheel, the gearbox and anywhere else it can find!
I wasn't impressed with John at the time, but then it is an odd car that he has never driven before.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: