Water pump Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Water pump « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

michael vass
Prolific User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, 06 April, 2016 - 03:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All
Well the sun was shining so I pull the Bentley out to be met with a puddle where it was in the garage aargghh!!!
Stripped it down and liitle leak from water pump spill hole.
Is there a rebuild kit for these?
Put back in the garage and ABS light is now on any ideas? I have no drive belts on would that have any effect ? don't think so , so why would that happen?
Thanks for any advice
Mike

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 563
Posted on Wednesday, 06 April, 2016 - 05:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Michael,
You are lucky - you live in the UK and the rebuilt exchange units in the UK are sensibly priced. Don't bother with the repair as it is just as expensive and fraught with potential problems. I would call Mr Yorke if I were you.

Omar

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1499
Posted on Wednesday, 06 April, 2016 - 05:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar is right about just getting a reconditioned pump. Not worth the work or the worry of either press fits being too lose.

If the battery voltage is low or the alternator isn't giving a signal the abs light will stay on, so don't worry yet.

michael vass
Prolific User

Post Number: 126
Posted on Wednesday, 06 April, 2016 - 05:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar
The seal (if it's the right one) is £16 the recon unit is £200 so I think it's worth a try eh?
Why and how would I call Mr yorke?
Many thanks
Mike

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 564
Posted on Wednesday, 06 April, 2016 - 05:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Michael,
The seal is indeed £16, in fact cheaper if you buy directly form a seal manufacturer. But you will also change the bearing as a matter of course. The problem you will have is ensuring the impeller comes off without cracking. You also don't know if your impeller has cracks or weak points. You will also need to get an o ring. When you have gathered all the parts, you will need to rebuild the pump ensuring just the right spring tension on the mechanical seal to guarantee that the pump will not leak.
I have torn these pumps down several times in the past to get things right. I dont have much of my life left to do all this - that is why I would contact Mr Yorke who will supply me with an exchange pump at a competitive price. But of course every person chooses the best option for them - and yours may be to enjoy the pump rebuild.
Thanks
Omar

michael vass
Prolific User

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, 06 April, 2016 - 06:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul
We crossed typing lol
So Omar says you supply pumps? but then you say don't do it? anyway if so how much would that be?
Cheers and thanks for the advice
Mike

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1500
Posted on Wednesday, 06 April, 2016 - 06:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Michael, I meant don't bother trying to overhaul it.

They are about £140 exchange plus vat and carriage. Usually available from stock

Cheers, Paul.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Wednesday, 06 April, 2016 - 08:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hang on. If Paul is charging 140 and Flying Spares 160, why are we all buying from Flying Spares?

Paul - I thought you were only involved in Servicing and Sales. Do you have a Parts department as well? If so, can you mail parts overseas?

Geoff

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1501
Posted on Wednesday, 06 April, 2016 - 10:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Geoff,

I am 80% repairs and servicing.

I do sell parts and am really good at knowing what you are likely to need or not, and am competitive on some part prices. I do have lots of recycled parts as well. Yes I do ship abroad.

We don't have a receptionist so if I'm stuck under a car or on site somewhere you'll get voicemail I'm afraid. Emails are good for me.

FS are really good at supplying parts and their picking and dispatch department are geared up for it plus UPS collect there daily. They are as happy if you are ordering a 10p o'ring or a £3000 gearbox. It's what they do (along with introcar).

I'm more than happy to quote though so it's always worth dropping me a line and if I can sort you out I will and if I can't help I'll let you know.

Thanks, Paul.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Wednesday, 06 April, 2016 - 12:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul

Thanks for the info. Next time I need to order a part I'll check to see if you have it first.

Geoff

michael vass
Prolific User

Post Number: 128
Posted on Thursday, 07 April, 2016 - 02:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all
Thanks for all your inputs, have found a place in Wolverhampton, so I can drop it off in the morning charges £105+ vat uprated bearings and seals gaskets and guarenteed .
I'll let you know how it goes
Mike

michael vass
Prolific User

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, 07 April, 2016 - 20:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All
Just in case it may be of use to someone in the future, how to change a water pump on my turbo r.
First obtain a friend!
Second remove bonnet (Iknow you don't have to but for 8 bolts why not).
Remove fan by turning the big nut clockwise (same as engine rotation), hitting the spanner shocks it undone.
Remove fan very carefully so as not to damage rad.
Crack loose the 4x 1/2" bolts on the pulley (don't remove).
Slacken belt tennsions and remove belts.
Remove 3 of the bolts holding the pump pulley leaving one in a few threads (to stop it falling into the rad when it comes off) lever the pulley off turning as you go then when its loose remove the final bolt and take off.
Remove the 7/16" bolts around the pump the top one is 1/2" leave one in a few threads so it dosen't fall into the rad ,peice of wood aginst the back of the drive flange and knock the pump out (just a tight "o" ring fit.)
Recon and refit is reverse.
Hope that hlps sombody
Mike

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: