Crankshaft damper Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Crankshaft damper « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christopher Williams
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, 22 March, 2016 - 10:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello all,

I am working on 24822, and have recently noticed my engine drive belts giving a slight chirp on startup. I went to renew the belts, but as things often go on old cars, I found another problem when I removed them. The back half of my crankshaft damper rocked when I de-tensioned the belts for the power steering/water pump. I soon found I could spin the rear hub by hand very easily, independant of the center hub. Removal of the damper found the rubber that bonds the inner and outer rings together has rotted and torn. I have a company here in the US that can restore the rubber portion, but needs to know the indexing of the damper's inner hub, to the outer hub, so they can be bonded in the correct orientation. I don't see any alignment marks that would make it very obvious as to where it aligned.

Does anyone happen to know this, or have a damper laying around they could photograph for reference?

Thank you,
Chris Williams

(Message approved by david_gore)

Christopher Williams
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, 28 March, 2016 - 23:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Talking to myself, but for any future people searching, here was the process. I put a fiberoptic borescope camera down the A1 spark plug hole, turned the engine by hand until it was at top dead center on the A1 cylinder, and then rotated the separated outer ring of the damper to line up with the TDC mark and pointer on the front of the engine. Then I marked across all the pulleys with white paint as a reference for the rebuilder.

Christian S. Hansen
Prolific User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, 29 March, 2016 - 11:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"The Devil is in the Details"
So...here is what the Devil says even though he knows not of your problem other than to pause for a bit of reflection:
OK...so now the outer ring is aligned with TDC, but what is to say that it is now aligned with the other portions of the damper??

Christopher Williams
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, 29 March, 2016 - 11:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The center section of the damper is pinned, and can only be installed in one position. So that just left the one variable of the outer ring.

Larry Halpert
Prolific User
Username: larry_halpert

Post Number: 167
Posted on Wednesday, 30 March, 2016 - 08:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You didn't mention the company that will replace the rubber, and the cost of doing it, for others with the same problem. That's the kind of info a forum needs..

Christopher Williams
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, 03 May, 2016 - 08:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Since the damper wasn't shipped, repaired, or billed at that time, that would be the reason those things weren't mentioned!

The company is Winslow Manufacturing, website: http://www.winslowmfg.net

The gentleman who runs the business is named Wayne. I chose Wayne to do the repair, because out of the 5 companies I called, he actually answered the phone, and was very helpful.

It was $105USD for the repair, plus shipping, dependant on your location, $16USD in my case. The turnaround time for the repair took about 2 weeks from the time Wayne received the damper to when he shipped it back out.

Hopefully this information fulfills the needs of the forum.

Chris Williams

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: