Suspension Problems Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Suspension Problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Hart
Experienced User
Username: bill_hart

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, 15 February, 2016 - 07:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On uneven surfaces I occasionally noticed a thumping sound which seemed to be coming from under the hood (bonnet?) of my '95 Turbo R. On investigation I found that the "donut" rubber shims at the top of both front struts had deteriorated and shrunk. I tightened them down and the noise ceased. While searching for the problem I noted that a lower ball joint had a torn rubber grease retainer. I would like to replace the ball joint but the price of a Bentley part seems unreasonably expensive. I doubt that Bentley manufactures its own ball joints. Does anyone know of a substitute part?
Thanks.

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User
Username: mark_herbstreit

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, 15 February, 2016 - 07:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Austin 1800 from the BMC parts bin.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Monday, 15 February, 2016 - 08:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If the BJ is ok you can replace the boot.

If the BJ is worn but the ball ios good you can fit a BJ repair kit. About £18 and £40.

Bill Hart
Frequent User

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, 15 February, 2016 - 12:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Mark and Paul.
For Paul: I am considering a repair kit, but don't know how much shop labor is involved for the installation. I wouldn"t want a repaired joint that cost substantially as much as a new one.
For Mark: Do you mean a joint for an Austin 1800 car (if there is one)? What is the BMC parts bin?

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Monday, 15 February, 2016 - 17:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill, half an hour extra tops really to clean and swap.

But you need to make sure that there is still lubricant inside the joint. If it's dry and rusted then a new joint is needed.

I doubt a garage would be pleased if you only have a kit and they get stuck with it apart. I always make sure I have both a kit and a ball joint available but I will use them in the future or can easily send the extra parts back.

Good luck with her though.

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, 15 February, 2016 - 21:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill,
BMC = British Motor Corporation. The lower ball joints were common to the BMC Austin 1800 but as I see you are not from the UK or its colonies probably not much help.

Bill Hart
Frequent User

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, 15 February, 2016 - 22:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks, guys. You've got me pointed in the right direction.

Mark Aldridge
Prolific User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 279
Posted on Tuesday, 16 February, 2016 - 00:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark, is it the boot, or the complete balljoint that is identical to the Austin 1800 Landcrab range ?
Mark

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 524
Posted on Saturday, 20 February, 2016 - 03:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Bill,
The old 90s Range Rover top suspension bushes are the same too.
Thanks
Omar

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Saturday, 20 February, 2016 - 09:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Going back to the damper top rubbers. RR fitted the stepped ones from below.

If you measure how central the top washer is you can see if the step has worn through.

All is not lost though. You can cut what's remaining off the step away, and then fit a stepped one from above.

You will need to depress the damper slightly to centralise it and get the step back in.

Easier done with two people.

Also check the boomerang brackets on the rear of the front suffrage mountings. There should be a good clearance between the boomerang and the subframe.

Mark Herbstreit
Prolific User

Post Number: 142
Posted on Saturday, 20 February, 2016 - 14:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mr Range Rover also makes a nice rubber spring isolator if you need one on a Sunday afternoon as I did. Loose change at the wreckers. Range rover on the right.

iso2

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: